Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken -

So I decided to do a Spatchcock chicken using coconut oil instead of evoo, and coconut sugar substituted in a homemade rub.
Following directions found here - raised direct @ 400 - it turned out looking perfect, but the rub needs a bit of tweaking.
Also the skin was a bit rubbery when it cooled.
But overall for a my virgin bird it was ok.
Saw a couple suggestions around using a higher temperature or leaving uncovered in fridge - will try that next time.

End state:

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    That looks pretty good Trini. When you say "a bit cooled" what do you mean? In my experience, the skin is never as good as it is when it first comes off the egg (allowing 10-15 minutes before serving).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Yours sure looks good. Maybe to much oil. I don't oil. I do 400 direct / raised
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That looks pretty good Trini. When you say "a bit cooled" what do you mean? In my experience, the skin is never as good as it is when it first comes off the egg (allowing 10-15 minutes before serving).

Ah, ok, it seemed crispier right off the Egg.
    Will do.
  • Mickey said:

Sorry Mickey, hit Off topic with phat fingers on mobile.
    I will try without oil next time for sure.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2013
    Sorry Mickey, hit Off topic with phat fingers on mobile. I will try without oil next time for sure.
    You can go back and change it, without the phat fingers.....
    Chicken looks good has nice colour. 
    For a crispier skin, the uncovered in the fridge overnight, followed by dry dusting with rub and baking powder or corn starch will really help. For most of my rubs, I find a mixture or 3 or 4 parts rub to one part powder/starch works best. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks great to me!!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    +1 on day in the fridge- I will sometimes cook first 10-15 min skin side down- it seems to help render some of the fat out and lets it crisp up. Still one of my favorites
    Greensboro, NC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I think the coconut oil might be the problem with "rubbery skin"?  Direct and raised grid at 400 degrees should give a good crisp skin....
  • Good advise - I will try with evoo and fridge and baking powder technique next time.
    Want to master making my own rubs, most of the "store brand" rubs I find has too much salt. So experimenting on both the Egg and rubs/sauces.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Got one going here, raised 350F direct with pecan smoke and a pepper, onions, mushrooms, zucchinni, squash, some pineapple, and sweet 'tater. No oil on the bird, just some rub, most of us don't eat the skin anyway.
  • OMG that looks like heaven! - I really have to step up my game.
    I do one thing at a time on the LBGE because I don't want to keep opening it all the time.
    But it looks like you cooking like 6 different things at the same time.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Eight, including the bird. I increased dome temp to 400F toward the end. Cook the bird until it reaches the desired IT, in our case around 145F for the breast, the dark is always much higher and you can't hurt it. Having two or three levels to cook on is your next stop! After awhile you know how to slice everything and when to put it on so it all gets done about the same time!
  • Wicked. Will have to look into getting some gear for my LBGE.
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Any time i have used oil or butter on chicken or turkey the skin turns out like rubber.
  • Any time i have used oil or butter on chicken or turkey the skin turns out like rubber.

SAngel, how do you get a dry rub to stay if you don't use an oil?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Trini_in_Ottawa... try putting some of your rub under the skin. It's not really that hard to do. You just want to be careful so that you don't tear the skin. I will (also) sometimes put some sliced limes under the skin. If you look closely at this picture you can see them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Any time i have used oil or butter on chicken or turkey the skin turns out like rubber.
    Your over thinking it. As soon as you unpackage your chicken, rub it down. The juice from the chicken is plenty to hold the rub on. 

I un package, rub, leave in fridge, pull it out to cook it and sprinkle some more rub all over it and throw it on.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

• Any time i have used oil or butter on chicken or turkey the skin turns out like rubber.

Your over thinking it. As soon as you unpackage your chicken, rub it down. The juice from the chicken is plenty to hold the rub on. 

I un package, rub, leave in fridge, pull it out to cook it and sprinkle some more rub all over it and throw it on.

Ok - I thought I read somewhere that evoo was used so that the dry rub would adhere to chicken. Will try just washing and applying rub - thanks much!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I use nothing!  After rinsing the brine off the chicken, i allow it to drip dry and season it all the way around - top to bottom.  Then allow to sit until the egg gets ready and stabilized..