Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another #&@ Ozark Oak.... Price increase

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
It has been brought to my attention that I'm in the hole...

I'm gonna have to bump the price to $6 per bag. $5.25 plus tax puts me at about $5.60. Losing 60 cents per bag on 250 bags.... $150 I know, I know.. I'm a greedy bastard.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    Damn Tony, You will make it up on volume buddy. Your government don't seem to have a problem. $150 here and $150 there, you can buy a case of PBR next year.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Especially when greedy bastards get 26 bags from you, right?  Hate those people.   :P

Good to see you're no longer being the Robin Hood of lump!  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Thats a pretty good deal as the Ace Hardware in Alpharetta, GA. is selling Ozark Oak for $14.99 for 10# bag. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    JRWhitee said:
    Thats a pretty good deal as the Ace Hardware in Alpharetta, GA. is selling Ozark Oak for $14.99 for 10# bag. 

I have sold new Toyotas for less markup.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    JRWhitee said:

Thats a pretty good deal as the Ace Hardware in Alpharetta, Garden . is selling Ozark Oak for $14.99 for 10# bag. 

If i could sell it for that... It'd be a full ride scholarship for my daughter's college.
  • JRWhitee
    Had my wife pick up a couple bags of RO at Walmart yesterday, OO is good but not that good.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I need to cancel my order.
    Dunedin, FL
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    10# bag of RO was $12.87 at the local Wally World.  If my Ace had had the OO for $15 I would buy it instead.  It's worth the extra money not to have to set foot in Wally World.  Still cheaper than $25 for BGE lump.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Still beats what they want for it at Elliot's in Plano.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    CharlieTN said:
    10# bag of RO was $12.87 at the local Wally World.  If my Ace had had the OO for $15 I would buy it instead.  It's worth the extra money not to have to set foot in Wally World.  Still cheaper than $25 for BGE lump.
    I only paid 7.00 for a 10# bag of RO at Walmart thats half the price of OO at ACE

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    JRWhitee said:
    CharlieTN said:
    I only paid 7.00 for a 10# bag of RO at Walmart thats half the price of OO at ACE
    I think paid about that for RO at Walmart too.  I'm tempted to return it cause RO sucks donkey balls.  So much dust and a ton of really small pieces. 

The 10# bag of OO is bigger than the 10# bag of RO.  You can definitely tell there are bigger pieces in OO.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    I have had good luck with RO in the past, I have 1 bag of OO and will see how the RO looks when I open them.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I found RO 20lbers for $9.99 at a local grocery store. I bought 10 bags.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    @griffin what do they want for it? I was going to head up there and pick some up to try, but not if it's crazy outrageous. I'm perfectly happy with my RO from the evil empire of Wally World
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I haven't gone and looked in awhile. $9-10 for the 8.8lb bag I think. I've been happy with RO lately. I actually had to break up a bunch of pieces the other day because they were too big.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Price increase?? Oh my God! That killed Kenny! You bastids!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    BBQ Outfitters in Austin has OO for 9.99 a 10lb bag if you buy 2 or more.  I bought 3 to give it a try.  While I was there someone bought 5 or 6 bags.
  • Mickey
    I'm outta here at $5.26 a bag $-)

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Outa Mick...we've talked about this!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• aem said:

BBQ Outfitters in Austin has OO for 9.99 a 10lb bag if you buy 2 or more.  I bought 3 to give it a try.  While I was there someone bought 5 or 6 bags.

That was probably me :)). But I don't expect to be back there for at least 2 weeks.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Is anyone interested in a group buy on OO?  I have been researching it and we probably could LTL some in to some central locations.  It would take a little work and someone would have to coordinate at each location (unloading & storage)  but the price would be good -  I am thinking $8 or less. I'm sure the manufacturer will sell us a load or partial.  $14 at the Johns Creek Ace is steep and I will talk to Ralph and see if he will give us ATL folk a break in the meantime - We will have to give him the secret sign.

The Idea Man.

Milton, GA.
  • henapple
    I'd sad the central Texas guys are good for a while...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    newsflash:  A large hole in the ozone layer has opened up over central Texas.  Scientists are baffled as to why this previously unseen phenomenon has occurred, given the current meteorological conditions.  News at 6.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    No wonder it's been so hot there lately.
    Yeah, but you can't beat the smell.
  • I'm leaving it in my truck for a week. It's soaking up all the beer stench from the beech last week. Quite fresh in there today.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    flynnbob said:

Is anyone interested in a group buy on OO?  I have been researching it and we probably could LTL some in to some central locations.  It would take a little work and someone would have to coordinate at each location (unloading & storage)  but the price would be good -  I am thinking $8 or less. I'm sure the manufacturer will sell us a load or partial.  $14 at the Johns Creek Ace is steep and I will talk to Ralph and see if he will give us ATL folk a break in the meantime - We will have to give him the secret sign.

The Idea Man.

Let me know how that goes I live about 4 miles from the Jones Bridge Ace in Johns Creek and actually it was 14.99...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

The name of the site escapes me at the moment (I'm still at work, so my brain is in idle), but there's a place online that delivers Ozark Oak.  It was pretty close to $10 and if you ordered ten bags you were over the $100 mark, which got you free shipping. 

• henapple
    Yes, but you don't get to meet me and take me out to eat.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Mickey said:
    JRWhitee said:

I have sold new Toyotas for less markup.....
    Many times...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum