Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old were YOU when you...

124»

Comments

• reaperjr18
    reaperjr18 Posts: 13
    I was 23 when I bought my XL and that was 3 years ago. I had to sell my Weber gasser and my fishing kayak to get it but it was worth it. Wife won't let me get a 2nd just yet but I'm working on it. I am now hosting all of the major holiday meals and can throw a pretty good BBQ party.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I was 49 when my incredible wife gave me the XL. I cooked on a friend's large BGE at his beach house. I had no idea what I was doing, but the food that week was great. A few weeks later, a friend who worked for a new BGE dealer, was telling my wife about the deal she was offered on this "Green Egg thing". My wife got an incredible deal on our XL and gave it to me for my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas... Thanks Buddy!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2013
    I bought mine a few days after my 38th birthday last year.  A long time griller/smoker.  I had at the time a Weber kettle, gasser and an offset smoker.

I had gotten the offset smoker for free.  Figured I would mess around with it and see if I liked to smoke and if I could do it.  Talk about inefficient. It was made of thick, heavy metal, but leaked so bad it went thru some lump.  Had to be baby sat the entire time to maintain temp.  Made good food on it, but it was a full time job to pay attention to it.
    My buddy had bought a Large Egg about a year prior and I eventually went over to his house for a BBQ.  He got the Egg going, grabbed his maverick, then went inside to the air conditioning and grabbed an adult beverage.  Watched the game and occasionally glanced at the maverick.  I was sold.  Now I enjoy sitting outside and smelling the Egg do it's thing while I have a beverage in my hand, but the only time I have to go to the Egg is if I want to get a nice whiff coming out of the daisy wheel!  It's completely changed the quality of my cooks, and has made me a better, more compassionate foodie as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I was 36...Fathers day present from the wife and kids.  I eyed them for a few years and I was debating between the egg and one of the "Big Steel Kegs".  My wife went and purchased the egg and brought it home.  She said she wanted me to get the "real thing" so I didn't end up buying it a year later.  Smart woman :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    @YEMTrey: I enjoy myself.  Even bigger WSP fan though.
    MBGE in Charleston

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    41. Had been talking about it for 7 years but never pulled the trigger. Even had the space marked out for one in my patio redo. Got it for fathers day 2012 from SWMBO and the Zygotes. Worth the wait!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    26. Got it as a gift to myself when Uncle Same gave me a nice refund. Thanks Obama!!!
  • jcm806
    jcm806 Posts: 10
    34. Got it a month ago. One of the best gifts I've every bought myself.
    James. Large Big Green Egg 2013. Alabaster, AL
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem. "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." - Thomas Jefferson
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    28 for my large, I picked up the small the next year. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

35 - last summer I had been talking about how charcoal is better than gas, and how some people have both (notably Alton Brown), and might only use charcoal on the weekend.  Last year at Christmas my wife apparently had been dropping hints referencing this, she had been planning on picking a Weber kettle up as a surprise present, but when I missed the hints she assumed I wasn't interested.

We actually talked about it after the holidays and she was going to get me one for Valentine's Day, but when we went to our grill store the prices of the BGE weren't that much higher than for the kettles, and they are definitely more versatile.  We went back and did some research, and ended up getting it a month later and I she bought it as a combo Valentine's and birthday present.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    edited June 2013

37.  My gasser had been knocked over in a storm and it suffered some damage and the cheap offset smoker I was using was way too thin to hold heat well. I was looking at getting a Lang 36 and new gasser when my neighbor started on me about getting an egg.  I admit I resisted at first and took me a while to warm up to the idea, but a few weeks later a Large BGE somehow ended up in the back of my truck.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Love the Canadian spelling of "humour". Me thinks Stike is still dormant. Just a guess though.
    He is not Canadian...eees a hamster

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Egghead Willie
    Egghead Willie Posts: 185
    edited June 2013
    48   wanted one for years  could not afford it.  Now 3 yrs later I am the proud owner of  1 large  2 mediums and 1 small
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    36 and got it as a surprise for birthday/ father's day.  Always knew about them, never asked for one, but became an obsession upon possession.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95