Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. - R.I.P. to Two of my Favorites

Talk about a 1-2 punch!  Author Vince Flynn passed away earlier today.  He created the Mitch Rapp series of thrillers.  I love those books and I will miss new adventures.  R.I.P. Mr. Flynn.

This evening we see that James Gandolfini passed away!  He may have wanted to distance himself from his most famous role, but he'll always be Tony Soprano to us.  R.I.P. Mr. Gandolfini.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• 47 and 51 years old respectively......gulp

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I was in disbelief until I saw myself. Terrible. Sopranos was one of best shows eva and it was because of the big guy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    A great actor and author.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Holy ****! What happened to Vince Flynn. I love his books.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3 said:
    Holy ****! What happened to Vince Flynn. I love his books.
    Prostate cancer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    It really gets you thinking, too young.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never once saw the Sopranos and didn't know who that guy was, though he looked familiar. I will miss Vince (and Mitch) though. Loved those books!

My Mom will soon be 97, and I ain't no spring chicken either. Every time I read about "another one gone", I cringe. Especially at those ages!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    In shock I loved Gandolfini's work didn't know Vince Flynn

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Loved the work of both of them, they will be missed.

Cookin in Texas
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Two of my favorites as well and will be missed.  Way too young.  At least I don't need to worry about going at that age.

Really liked the Mitch Rapp series.  On a side note, love the Jack Reacher books, an thought it was a huge mistake to cast Cruise in the movie.
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I happen to be working in the Twin Cities this week, and the whole city is mourning Vince Flynn. How sad, and I'm going to miss the Mitch Rapp series. I had no idea Gandolfini was ill. Slim Whitman also died today, but I had thought he died years ago.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Gandolfini was also a good supporting actor. He was a good prick in Crimson Tide (starring Denzel Washington & Gene Hackman).
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Tragic loss for the entertainment community- will miss the Rapp books
    Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I thought Time had a fantastic Gandolfini obituary that really emphasizes how TV has flown past movies as the leader in well-written, well-acted and compelling drama, and how that shift really started with The Sopranos

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I thought he played a great role in Zero Dark Thirty. Way beyond his age.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    I still watch through The Sopranos occasionally. Great show. I also loved James Gandolfini in Get Shorty and True Romance. Great actor, great loss. From what I understand he was a great guy to have on your side.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    I could not agree more.  Two of my favorites.  They will be missed.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I mean no disrespect but, flags at half-mast in NJ today... seems a little over the top to me. Did Christie do that for Whitney?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.