Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I NEED SOME HELP FROM MY BROTHERS

Ok, so I am getting F*$@#&G Pissed off with the cheap a$$ bbq tools I have now. SWMBO has instructed me that I am allowed to buy a good set. Fortunately for me quality is more important than price, so please my brothers, help me. I want to buy now, not tomorrow, not in 6 hours, NOW! I have done my due diligence already and come to a partial decision. Now I leave it up to those who share common interest, you, my egghead brethren. What is the best high quality heavy duty "slap yo mamma" bbq tool set?

I can't seem to find the set that is too heavy for a woman to use, and has a good case (or not) to keep them in. I just want the best, not some wal-mart special. Not sure why I cannot find it on my own, but I know I have a good support group here.

So, what do y'all use? What is the go to set? Let me have it, I need some help.

Thank you in advance.

-KCCO-

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What part of Michigan are you in? There is a great Chef's supply in Windsor ON right across from Detroit. It's called Williams chef supply and you can get any tool you would find in a restaurant. If you go there be sure to keep your receipts and you can collect the tax back on your way out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I will recommend making a trip to the nearest Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table store. Very high class and quality stuff that you will never break. You can order them online as well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I got the Williams Sonoma set as a wedding present and they are high quality. They come with a pretty nice case too. You get the spatula, tongs, meat fork and basking brush. 

My wife has a hard time picking them up.
    :))
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    +1 Williams Sonoma.  I've been using theirs for the last 6 or 7 years.  If you can, forgo the stupid box; it will eventually fall apart.  

I also wouldn't pay up for the grill scraper, or if you do .. buy a whole bunch of the extra pads now.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I'm also a big fan of the insulated rubber gloves.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've always understood that Lamson makes good stuff. Made in USA too. I've never seen it in person though. And you will probably have to order it... as opposed to NOW. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I buy professional chef stuff - not pretty, but heavy duty and it works. Sam's club, Costco carry it.
    What part of Michigan are you in? There is a great Chef's supply in Windsor ON right across from Detroit. It's called Williams chef supply and you can get any tool you would find in a restaurant. If you go there be sure to keep your receipts and you can collect the tax back on your way out.
    I live in Shelby Township, 48317, so metro detroit.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    tamu2009 said:
    I got the Williams Sonoma set as a wedding present and they are high quality. They come with a pretty nice case too. You get the spatula, tongs, meat fork and basking brush. 

My wife has a hard time picking them up.
    :))
    I forgot to mention that the wife will need to pick them up to clean them. However i'm sure she can get her friend to help her :)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You gotta put up with the ugly white polypropylene handle, but restaurant equipment is the way to go....

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/flexible-turners-combo-2-pk/132722.ip?navAction=push

You should check Williams out. They are on a backstreet right off Hwy 3 that the bridge puts you out on. I believe you turn at a Holiday Inn on the right hand side about 4 or 5 lights from the bridge.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• michigan_jason
    I don't do Canada so well.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wait, you mean they're ALL like Steven?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• michigan_jason
    Wait, you mean they're ALL like Steven?!
    LMAO, not sure about all of them, but I do not like canada, and canada tells me I cannot go there lol....

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I got some berghoff for father's day. Forged, great quality.
  • From my trip recently, I can tell you all Canadians are not like Steven.  Some are taller than 5'2".     
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

From my trip recently, I can tell you all Canadians are not like Steven.  Some are taller than 5'2".     

That's because they have lifts in their Sorels.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You may want to figure out what you would really use and buy those pieces-kinda like knives-I use heavy duty tongs and a spatula-beyond that I must be a Neanderthal as I don't find any use for the remainder of what constitutes a set.  And case,,,they are not guitars :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited June 2013
    I usually find these or similar at local gun or craft shows, forged from old railroad spikes. They can generally make anything you can think of, within reason, even if not seen here. http://shop.ponderosaforge.com/Gift-Items_c13.htm
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Actually, I don't know if this particular maker uses railroad spikes...just a quick Google search..
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited June 2013
    What do you use the most? My main tool is a set of tongs. Bought from Target 7 years ago for $10 - pretty heavy duty, with nice looking wood handles. I don't put them in the dishwasher, so the handles still look great. For me, a good set of tongs must not flex at the ends (part that grabs the food) when squeezed closed, so that the food won't slip out. I have a second set which I bought at Restaurant Depot 3 years ago, and like them because they are long. To clean the grid, I use a Weber cleaning thingy that looks like a triangle at the end of it. I keep all of my bbq gizmos and tools in a larger toolbox dedicated for those items (maverick, thermo, batteries, frogmat, gloves, etc).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I would not buy a set. Several items I just will not use. WS is good and so is a chef store.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I use a long spatula and a good set of tongs. Never use the fork or anything else from a set. A set of Bear Claws, meant for pulling pork, are great for lifting roasts off the Egg.
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013

I know I suggested WS and SLT.

Having said that, for a real bargain check Academy sports and their BBQ section certainly merrits a vist. They have heavy duty tongs, both long and short, at an extremely good price. Personally, I do not use any other BBQ tools like the forks or heavy metal spatulas. The rest of your tools, you will pick up along the way. But WS is surely a place you will want to walk around in for some really fine tools to cook with.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• dajogejr
    dajogejr Posts: 12
    I don't Canada so well either neighbor (St. Clair Shores here).
    There's a Williams and Sonoma in Somerset Mall or you can head straight west and visit the one in Rochester Village.

There's a Restaurant Depot near I75 and Maple (15 mile) as well.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    You gotta put up with the ugly white polypropylene handle, but restaurant equipment is the way to go....

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/flexible-turners-combo-2-pk/132722.ip?navAction=push

Actually some of the best cooking tools I have came from Sam's restaurant section.  Not pretty but good sturdy stuff.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have never bought a "set".  My tools are picked up via serendipity.  Leg rack from Ace Hardware, wok tools from the camping section at Walmart, roast forks from Williams Sonoma (and lots of other cool stuff).  Relax, and keep your eyes open.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    +1 on willams sonoma set- but I use restaurant style tongs more than anything
    Greensboro, NC