Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Salmon with Raging River--Advice Please!!

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
First time to try planked salmon.  I cooked in an Eggfest a few weeks ago and they gave us cedar planks in our gift bag. I'm planning on using the Raging River rub, so what are other suggestions as to basting, etc.

Also have seen both direct and indirect used for planked salmon, so give me your thoughts on that.

Momma loves salmon so come strong guys!!

TIA

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I do it raised direct. Don't forget to soak the planks (fully submerged) in water for a few hours before using them. They tend to float so you may need to put a pan or glass filled with water on top to keep them submerged.

We've used DP Pineapple Head on salmon and it's pretty good. Also maple syrup or brown sugar.
    There really is no limit to what you can do here.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yeah, raised direct, 375-400. Soak the planks good. Rub honey on the salmon and top with Raging River. Cook to 145. Momma's gonna love you.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hey Dugan! 

Yes, soak the plank, little oil or mayo on between the wood and fish to keep it from sticking.  Soaking gives the fish a head start in cooking before the wood starts smoking to give the signature plank-smoke flavor.  Cook direct, direct raised, Medium heat.

Seasoning - whatever you like.  Salmon works well sweet or savory.  Biggest problem I see with salmon grilling is overcooking - salmon survives overcooking because it's a very oily fish, but it's best if cooked just right - 135 - 140 F.

Good luck and post pics!
    GQuiz said:
    Yeah, raised direct, 375-400. Soak the planks good. Rub honey on the salmon and top with Raging River. Cook to 145. Momma's gonna love you.
    @GQuiz and @TexanOfTheNorth thanks guys.  DP website has a recipe with maple and I've got some fresh local honey, so I should be good to go.
  • Duganboy
    Hey Dugan! 

Yes, soak the plank, little oil or mayo on between the wood and fish to keep it from sticking.  Soaking gives the fish a head start in cooking before the wood starts smoking to give the signature plank-smoke flavor.  Cook direct, direct raised, Medium heat.

Seasoning - whatever you like.  Salmon works well sweet or savory.  Biggest problem I see with salmon grilling is overcooking - salmon survives overcooking because it's a very oily fish, but it's best if cooked just right - 135 - 140 F.

Good luck and post pics!
    My Man @nolaegghead thanks and welcome back!!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I'm going to follow this thread, I did 2 pounds of Sam's Salmon  coated in EVOO and Raging River last night and it was Great! I did it direct 375/400 and hit a home run, I'm baby sitting 3 racks of Baby Backs right now, pulled the MB and hit them with Dizzy Dust and got them coasting at 250. Oh yeah I've got a big boy pop going also. SA-WEET
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Game on @Grillmagic. I got 2 racks of spares going. One with Dizzy Dust, one with Bad Byron's. little A/B testing. I, too, am parked at 250. Gonna slather the Byron's with HEB chipotle raspberry marinade and the Dizzy with Blues Hog Honey Mustard. I'll let you know how they come out.

• Duganboy
    DD and Mike Mill's Magic Dust are the two rubs I use for ribs.  Both have plenty of flavor without a lot of heat, which is what my family likes.  I like ribs dry, but if I have guests I use Bone Suckin Sauce with DD, and Mike Mill's 17th St. Bar & Grill sauce with the Magic Dust.
  • GQuiz
    Got a go to Memphis-style that you use? Looking for one for pulled pork sandwiches. That likely will be next weekend's cook.

• Grillmagic
    GQuiz said:
    Game on @Grillmagic. I got 2 racks of spares going. One with Dizzy Dust, one with Bad Byron's. little A/B testing. I, too, am parked at 250. Gonna slather the Byron's with HEB chipotle raspberry marinade and the Dizzy with Blues Hog Honey Mustard. I'll let you know how they come out.
    Man it looks like you've gone all out, I'll trade you a half slab for half slab and throw in a Vodka Cranberry, yours sound great. I found some black cherry jam at my local farmers market and I am half tempted to lather up a couple racks for the last 20/30 minutes.
  • Duganboy
    DD and Mike Mill's Magic Dust are the two rubs I use for ribs.  Both have plenty of flavor without a lot of heat, which is what my family likes.  I like ribs dry, but if I have guests I use Bone Suckin Sauce with DD, and Mike Mill's 17th St. Bar & Grill sauce with the Magic Dust.
    GQuiz said:
    Got a go to Memphis-style that you use? Looking for one for pulled pork sandwiches. That likely will be next weekend's cook.
    @GQuiz I just use the DD coarse grind for my pork butts, but I LOVE this finishing sauce that comes from Jeff Phillips at SmokingMeat.Com    For an 8 lb shoulder use about half of what it makes and then add more (or not) to taste.

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
    1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning is our go-to spice mix for daily cooking.  We usually have three different variations of it open and in use at any given time...it never goes back in the cabinet.
    If y'all don't use Tony C's in Louisiana, isn't that a capital offense? ;)

• GQuiz

GQuiz said:

Man it looks like you've gone all out, I'll trade you a half slab for half slab and throw in a Vodka Cranberry, yours sound great. I found some black cherry jam at my local farmers market and I am half tempted to lather up a couple racks for the last 20/30 minutes.

CenTex and @travisstrick espouse 5 hours at 250 with Dizzy Dust and add the Blues Hog Honey Mustard for the last 15 minutes. I did it last week, but pulled way too soon. Tougher than leather. But that DD and Blues Hog combo is otherworldly. It tasted divine.

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I love the DP recipe for salmon with RR. it's my go to now. So good with maple syrup and butter. A close second is covering in honey and a little RR with lemon.

Both are very good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Just a newbie here, but I use maple syrup and dijon mustard rub with the usual herbs to season and my planked Salmon was majic.
  • GQuiz
    @Grillmagic. Bend tested and basted. Gonna keep warm til dinner. Will let you know

• Grillmagic
    GQuiz said:
    @Grillmagic. Bend tested and basted. Gonna keep warm til dinner. Will let you know

That looks like a old Grand Funk Rail Road Song, Some Kind A Wonder full!
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I did grilled cedar plank salmon last night. I got the grill arond 350 and put the plank on for 3 minutes. Then I flipped them over and rubbed with olive oil and put the salmon on. Cooked to 145 and it was great. It is just delicious on the grill.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Grillmagic
    grEGGorys said:
    I did grilled cedar plank salmon last night. I got the grill arond 350 and put the plank on for 3 minutes. Then I flipped them over and rubbed with olive oil and put the salmon on. Cooked to 145 and it was great. It is just delicious on the grill.

Is this the best method that you have used so far, what seasoning did you use. Thanks in advance, I know we got a bit off topic here but I am looking for a good cedar plank method.

THANKS!

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    We like the plank salmon also with DP raging river . Try it at 250 degrees with alder wood..Excellent.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    This was the second time we have done salmon on cedar planks but I used a few different spices this time.  In a bag I put about a TBL of olive oil, 1 TBL of soy sauce, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt, pepper, garlic powder and some ginger citrus spice.  I let the salmon marinate in the fridge for an hour or so and took it out to bring to room temp while the EGG was preheating.  This seasoning was the best we have had on any kind of fish so far.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Lakie
    Lakie Posts: 19

I do a raised direct method on the a cedar plank with Raging River rub, then glaze it with a balsamic vinegar reduction and honey.

Brookhaven, GA 
    One Large BGE and four bad Terriers
  • GQuiz
    @grillmagic. YAHTZEE!!! Ribs were wonderful. If you can find raspberry chipotle marinade, grab it.

• Fortoday
    Fortoday Posts: 94
    Look for the do raging river and salmon recipe on dp website. They have a maple glaze that works perfectly with salmon