Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Dome

I recently watched a video comparing the BGE to the Grill Dome.  The dude doing the demo was dressed in a chef jacket, armed with an infra-red temp sensor.  This comparison demo was a real joke.  From what I have experienced, seen and read BGE is the best around.  There is another Kamado style of grill out that is super expensive and looks like the top of the line ceramic grill, but the are $4000-$10,000.  Unless I hit the lottery I will be sticking with my Egg.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You must have been on BBQguys.com

Their pseudo-science is high comedy. My favorite is when they compare spatchcock chicken on the Egg and the GD. They do this by testing pre and post cook weight. First, they put the Egg chicken on and weigh it. The scale has a terry cloth towel on it. They then remove the chicken, leaving the dirty, juice-filled towel behind. They do not tare and then they weigh the GD chicken. It is 1/10th of an ounce heavier.

Obviously, the GD is much better at cooking the chicken. Their methodology is flawless. 
    ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You must have been on BBQguys.com

Their pseudo-science is high comedy. My favorite is when they compare spatchcock chicken on the Egg and the GD. They do this by testing pre and post cook weight. First, they put the Egg chicken on and weigh it. The scale has a terry cloth towel on it. They then remove the chicken, leaving the dirty, juice-filled towel behind. They do not tare and then they weigh the GD chicken. It is 1/10th of an ounce heavier.

Obviously, the GD is much better at cooking the chicken. Their methodology is flawless. 
    ;)
    BBQGuys had a falling out with BGE or something.  They used to have videos praising BGE on their site. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that they can't sell BGE online like the other grills. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The other thing that is hilarious (if I'm thinking of the same one), is the chicken from the BGE is 7 shades darker, so it's obvious they were cooking at a much higher temp.  I'm pretty sure when he opened the dome the daisy wheel flew open and he sort of tapped it back...but not really.  Don't know what his bottom vent was set at, but it looks like he was cooking at 400+ on the BGE. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Why would even consider the other one when you already have the best??????????

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Eggcelsior
    edited June 2013
    The other thing that is hilarious (if I'm thinking of the same one), is the chicken from the BGE is 7 shades darker, so it's obvious they were cooking at a much higher temp.  I'm pretty sure when he opened the dome the daisy wheel flew open and he sort of tapped it back...but not really.  Don't know what his bottom vent was set at, but it looks like he was cooking at 400+ on the BGE. 
    That's the one. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Yep...check out 3:45 or so.  Daisy wheel slides open when he opens the dome.  He taps it closed a little; but it still open more than when he stabilized at 400.  Look at how open it is when he takes them off!  Again, can't see the bottom vent but he could be cooking at 500. 

"The one from on the big green egg came out a little darker".  That thing is burned! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    The comparison is laughable for sure. I like and own an egg, but I wouldn't hate on any of the ceramic cookers. Even the Vision and Akorn brands seem to turn out good food.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    He didn't mention about that pretty emblem that fall's off . I Iike the assembly one. first thing that came to mind was these guys seem bitter
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I have both. I like a few things better with my Grill Dome. My emblem is still on after  4 yrs. They are both good cookers. I agree with Tony A statement. I like my weber kettle just as much and get just as good food off the weber as ceramics.

• Eggcelsior
    smokeyj said:

I have both. I like a few things better with my Grill Dome. My emblem is still on after  4 yrs. They are both good cookers. I agree with Tony A statement. I like my weber kettle just as much and get just as good food off the weber as ceramics.

I have no problem with the GD either. Just the crappy videos.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Folks put out great food by just setting a couple of bricks and burning wood between them, so I have no place hating on another type of cooker. Its the quasi-science that bothers me. 

No comparison of IT either. Cooking to temp yields more good food than cooking to time. 

Besides, who trusts a skinny chef???

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    smokeyj said:

I have no problem with the GD either. Just the crappy videos.
    Couldn't have said it better Eggcelsior. 
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    In my experience, if you have to hate on something else to make yours look better there is a problem.  Our Ace Hardware just starting carrying ceramic cookers, and I was so excited I ran in there, and it was NOT BGE, but Kamado Joe I believe!  Oh well, at least it will bring awareness to the market.  
  • Eggcelsior
    I think Ace got a big stiffy for KJ. They probably made them an offer they can't refuse. "me love you long time, 10 dollar"
    "Anything?"... "Any-ting"
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Ace has been carrying Kamodo Joes online for 2 years.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I saw a Grill Dome for the first time a few days ago......looks like a nice kamado.  Heavier duty than a BGE for sure.

I started looking into the KJ a few months ago too.  Also a very nice kamado.

I have three BGE's, so no reason for me to run out and buy either.  But I saw a few things on both brands that BGE could take a page from.....better stands, better side tables, more stainless steel, etc.  But in the end, they're all going to cook the same.

BGE may be the "original" (by default), but you can only last so long on that reputation.  Need to improve & innovate while keeping the price reasonable or you'll go by the wayside--look at Eastman Kodak and all the huge car brands that have disappeared.

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    I looked at them all too when I bought my egg.  Primos were also very nice and my boss has one (and he loves it).  I ultimately settled on the egg for a couple of reasons:

1). Massive community of users / forums.  Not that I care to be cool or fit in with the crowd, but I love the fact that there are sites like this with hundreds of users that can give advice and help when needed.

2). Huge selection of accessories (both from BGE and 3rd party).  That's a huge plus for me.  

3). Local dealers.  I have several dealers near me and I like the guys I bought from.  Nice to know they're near by in case I need them. 

4). Price.  Of all the ceramic models I looked at, BGE was reasonably priced.

5). The Upgrade factor.  Hey, I was coming from a gasser and this was my first ceramic grill.  After reading about all the big makers and various comparisons, I came to the conclusion that they're all very good and they will all have about the same cook results.  And those results were far better than my gas grill.  :)  

I've never regretted my decision.  
  • Eggcelsior

I saw a Grill Dome for the first time a few days ago......looks like a nice kamado.  Heavier duty than a BGE for sure.

I started looking into the KJ a few months ago too.  Also a very nice kamado.

I have three BGE's, so no reason for me to run out and buy either.  But I saw a few things on both brands that BGE could take a page from.....better stands, better side tables, more stainless steel, etc.  But in the end, they're all going to cook the same.

BGE may be the "original" (by default), but you can only last so long on that reputation.  Need to improve & innovate while keeping the price reasonable or you'll go by the wayside--look at Eastman Kodak and all the huge car brands that have disappeared.

Funny thing about Eastman Kodak is that they invented their judge, jury, and executioner(digital photography).