Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Ribs

shadowcaster
shadowcaster Posts: 620
Seeing how I did not see a "wild game" section I figured this would be the next best spot to post this. I have a rack of Buffalo ribs that I got from Eastern Market (Detroit, MI) a few weeks back. I want to try them out on the egg and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing them. Should I just do them like normal ribs, or because they are leaner, should I do them some other way. I am thinking about doing them this Sunday (Father's Day) so any tips, pointers or recipes would be great. Thanks!
Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Maybe this will help. I have no first hand experience with this myself.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I actually read that one not too long ago. thanks
    Pure Michigan
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I'd do them like normal ribs, the leanness may just help them be done sooner.  Maybe include a spritz of water or juice every 45 minutes or maybe even some Parkay Squeeze on the ribs halfway through the cook to make up for the less fat.
    Pentwater, MI
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    By the way... is the buffalo really considered "wild game"?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    By the way... is the buffalo really considered "wild game"?
    I guess it depends on where you are from haha but probably not 
    Pure Michigan
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Only problem is that the meat is so lean, like bear, and it tightens up as soon as it cools. Albeit the egg will be the best bet to keep them moist other than sous vide.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• shadowcaster
    Well my Father's Day did not go the way I had planned. never had time to do the ribs but hopefully I will get to them in the near future.
    Pure Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    @shadowcaster, when you say it did not go as planned I hope you're only referring to the rib cook? Hope it was an, otherwise, good day for you!
    Yes it was a good day overall, but i was not able to do the Ribs.
    Pure Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done bison ribs only once, but have done other cuts many times. Here's what I can offer. As every one mentions, bison is quite lean. The meat also tends to be a good bit tougher. They are much larger than cattle, they really need to move around (the bull of a local herd can walk thru a fence made from railroad ties), and do not tolerate eating much grain.

Considering where you got the bison, it probably was not roaming a large range, and may have been given a small amount of grain.  For bison, it might be a little more tender and have a bit of fat.

My recollection of the ribs, which I did before getting an Egg, and hadn't even made very good pork ribs, was that the bone side membrane was impenetrable even after cooking. I did not know at the time I should have tried to remove it. At this point, I would most likely foil them for a few hours. Even w. that, I kind of doubt the meat will fall off the bones, but should be acceptably tender.

Bison has a very mild, sweet flavor. Go easy on the spices. Because of the sweet flavor, I often add sweet cherry juice to mops and marinades.
  • shadowcaster
    gdenby--thanks for the tips, I will definitely keep that in mind when I go to do them.
    Pure Michigan
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I thought this was going to be about buffalo sauced ribs.. LOL.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • shadowcaster
    I thought this was going to be about buffalo sauced ribs.. LOL.
    I wouldn't ruin disgrace my ribs by putting buffalo sauce on them haha.
    Pure Michigan
  • shadowcaster
    Prepping the ribs today
    Pure Michigan
  • shadowcaster
    For some reason I can't get a picture to upload. I tried on my phone and on my tablet. Once I get it figured out I will put up a pic.
    Pure Michigan