Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inaugural Pizza cook on Large C Q' method

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
Decided to use Carolina Q method of the feet and mini woo. Temp gauge never passed 500 degrees, lump only filled fire bowl and maybe a tad more. I had to remove the Chimney Cap to get past 400 not sure if it was a lump issue or air flow. SOmeone should post if they can get past 500 Degrees using the eggware cap.

Scratch dough for the pies. 3 generous cups of flour yields 2. I could have made em look pretty but i didnt bother to oil the crust before placing on the cook so its kind of pale. All in all solid time with the large egg.

Lets not forget the mini, pre cooked some sausage partially
imageimage

Set Up

7 minutes and done even @ 450 degrees.

2nd pie both cooked fast at sub 500 temp and gasket looks just fine.

Seattle, WA

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno, man. I never use any cap, DFMT or otherwise. For any cook except lo n slo. I cook most egged pies at 500°. I never use a grid. Nor do I oil the dough. All of my dough recipes are by weight. Hard to tell from your pics, but your stone doesn't look as high as mine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Guess it wasn't your method forgot I did not need the grid.

I did notice my peperonis got charred a bit, a little like yours it was interesting considering the temps were not high.... For pizzas.

I was satisfied. I go for a thinner cruat pizza, dough is close to breaking before i place on toppings.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Grid shouldn't make much, if any, difference. Don't know what to tell you. Mine NY pies always turn out like the pic. I sometimes do napoletana doughs at 700-900° that look like this (blurry) pic at 900°.

And here's another 500° NY dough pie...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    One more thing... If you want to try an outstanding NY dough recipe, check this one out. It's what I always use for NY style pies. There's a link in the article to my favorite pizza sauce too. Both by the same guy, Kenji Lopez-Alt from Serious Eats. Almost everything I've tried from him has been excellent!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Is that pepperoni, cherry tomatoes and squash blossoms? That sounds like the most amazing pizza ever!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Carolina Q

What pepperonis do you use?  Your pies look great!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks, Black Badger - pumpkin blossoms, actually. It was a photogenic pie, but it tasted like pepperoni, halved cherry tomatoes (or maybe grape) and... fresh cut grass. :D Maybe squash blossoms are better?

cazzy, thanks. I usually use Margherita brand stick pepperoni. Cups nicely and the edges char. I prefer the flavor of the standard to that of their "Italian Style" version.

SkinnyV, my apologies for the hijack. It was certainly not my intent.  
    :\">

Michael 
    Central Connecticut