Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Drop during Brisket Plateau?

Options
124»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Darwin talked about the greater good. So did Lenin. Why is it that you can't see my point here? Surely you must understand the concept of feng shi and karma. I really don't want to mention Hitler here but it is all sort of the same in a relative way but you are older. Lost souls and such. Can you not see?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Here is a little help, 225 dome will mean about a 175- 185 temp at the meat. so a 2.5 brisket could go anywhere at that low temp, not to mention guessing your thermometer may be a tad off, maybe to a lesser temp, it is best to let your dome stay at 250 to keep the meat at 200-225 for it can break into the 190 spot, where at 185 it will never reach it.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    precisely
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Did you that direct or indirect and at what temp...douche bag..
  • Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options

The temperature drop is real. I am seeing it happen, which is why I'm researching it now.  I have a 10.5 lb. brisket going on 17 hours. 2 hours ago it was 169, now its 165. Dome temp has been constant for 220. I did take Thermodynamics at Georgia Tech 32 years ago and do recall the endothermic and exothermic reactions. Thanks so much to THA for reminiding me of it.

This is the first time I've cooked a big brisket like this. 10.5 lbs barely fits on my LGE. I had to go to a butcher shop to get it. They had a 15 pounder, but I resisted the temptation. Sam's Club briskets were in the 6-7 lb range. I know it's going to be awesome. I will wait throught the plateau if it takes until midnight.

• datsuyama
    Options
    All while using an Egg Genius - temp probe didn’t move.   Here’s the phenomena that “Unknown” claims is thermodynamically impossible. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man- this is old-school forum right here. Stike, Fidel, Steven, WessB...this is from when this was a much more friendlier place! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Wess was the worst, but I do miss Stike.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Man- this is old-school forum right here. Stike, Fidel, Steven, WessB...this is from when this was a much more friendlier place! 
    Before Like/Agree/Disagree/Flag and most importantly, FORUM POINTS.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wess was the worst, but I do miss Stike.
    Jeff and Steven told me some of the WessB stories. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX