Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin Crust Pizza Help

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
I want to make a very thin crust. Before I search the information superhighway and get bombarded with 5798 pizza recipes, I thought I would ask my BBQ Brethren. Anyone have a good recipe, tips, etc. I am tired of my normal regular crust that is so thick.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I did a sourdough crust last week (and am doing it again tonight). The crust was thin, a light crunch on the outside and just a hint of chewiness on the inside. If you have access to a sourdough starter here's the recipe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My wife has a dough she makes that works pretty good and forms really easy made out of KAF . I can ask her tonight and post it if you like .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Chubbs
    bigphil said:
    My wife has a dough she makes that works pretty good and forms really easy made out of KAF . I can ask her tonight and post it if you like .
    That would be great. Thanks.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I've used this a few times its by zippylip. It's pretty basic and good for thin crust if your patient with it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/987401/stage-two-pizza-dough-with-o-verbose-commentary#latest
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Not a fan of the thin crust pies.  If I want a cracker I will buy a box.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Chubbs
    edited June 2013

Well, Sam, I am not a fan of your comments and I didn't poll the forum on their likes/dislikes. How did I know when I saw your name pop up as commenting on a thread it would be something like this? If you dont have a helpful comment, don't post on someone's thread. All of your posts are always negative and/or condescending... I guess that is to be expected from the almighty pizza creator.

• Thanks to @Griffin, we tried freezing our dough.  After defrosting on our first attempt, we were able to get our crust much thinner than we usually could.  Don't know why, but thought I'd pass that along.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Chubbs
    Thanks to @Griffin, we tried freezing our dough.  After defrosting on our first attempt, we were able to get our crust much thinner than we usually could.  Don't know why, but thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks, that is a good tip. Never thought of that. I have tried various types of flour, etc and have not gotten the thin crust I want in my arsenal down. I will try this next. I have a solid standard crust, and enjoy my deep dish, but really looking forward to a thin crust pie.
  • Not sure you want advice from a tiger fan,  but I am a big thin crust grilled pizza fan too. After long search I found a great book and great thin crust dough recipe (easy, do it the night before and it keeps for several days).  Two step cook--You actually grill just the dough up on the adjustable rig, and then flip it and the grilled bottom becomes your top--gives you a firm crust you can load with ingredients and then cook second time on the pizza stone like normal--and I do second step lower than most pizzas due to thin crust--maybe 400- 450 dome or so.  Here is link to my pizza quest and the book--with photos, recipes etc:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1184253&catid=1#

And a second follow up post:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1186719&catid=1#

• Chubbs
    SmokinTiger81, thanks man! Appreciate the advice, even if it is from a tiger fan! :P
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I think @Mickey is a big fan of using tortillas for pizza crust, nice and thin and crispy!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • You are welcome--it really is a great book--his combinations of ingredients for various pizzas are wonderful and creative--best I have seen--Amazon has the book.  I also cooked some of these recently at the GaMtnEggfest--they went quick!
  • You are welcome--it really is a great book--his combinations of ingredients for various pizzas are wonderful and creative--best I have seen--Amazon has the book.  I also cooked some of these recently at the GaMtnEggfest--they went quick!
  • EggPower
    EggPower Posts: 25
    SmokinTiger, I got a domain error from your site. Looks like it's time to renew?
  • Chubbs
    Yep, he is. I do them every now and then on my mini, but want something little thicker than that. Thanks for the reminder though! Looking for the crispy thin crust with a little chew.
  • Chubbs
    EggPower said:
    SmokinTiger, I got a domain error from your site. Looks like it's time to renew?
    Something is going on with the other forum's site
  • Not sure about any issue with linked site, just try again--it works fine for me--try again later if a problem.

Chubbs--if the crust recipe is too thin for you, the book also has the recipe to modify it for a little thicker crust--I have not tried it--I like the thin and crunchy.

And I have tried the deep dish too in skillet using griffins method and recipe--very good--I just prefer thin crust--here is the deep dish skillet cook

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1296915&catid=1#

• Chubbs

Oh yeah, been doing skillet pies for a few years...

• Chubbs
    here is one
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@Chubbs: I have used Alton Brown's pizza dough recipe, with KAF AP a few times. It works better after fermenting at least overnight if not more. It rolls out pretty thin (I'm a roller). If you find that it keeps shrinking back after rolling, just flour it up and let it rest a bit longer. I tried tipo 00 flour once and didn't like it as much, but I don't think I got  the egg hot enough when I did that.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty happy with my pies, and others seem to like them too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SamFerrise
    Mr. Chubbs,

I guess we are not allowed to express an opinion according to you.  Seems to me like a lot of opinions are expressed here.  My intent is not to be condescending or negative.  If you are so super sensitive it may you that has the problem.  Forums are for ideas and opinions from anyone who cares to comment.  I have never been rude or vulgar in any of my posts.  I have received a lot of positive comments from my posts over the last 2 years.  I get upset from those who like to stick it in my face.  That is personal and you can keep those to yourself, thank you very much.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mr. SamFerrise,

Your post was not vulgar, but it was rude and condescending. "If I want a cracker I will buy a box" is just that. You insinuate that a thin-crust pizza is beneath you in a post that has nothing to do with the OP's request. This is why I marked you off-topic. Perhaps your intent is "lost in translation" due to this digital form of communication.
  • Chubbs
    Sam, it is not just that post. Most of your comments are something of the sort. It finally happened on one of mine and I felt the need to tell you.
  • SamFerrise
    What are you guys smoking?

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    Pork butt. Maybe a brisket.  ;)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2013
    Help yourself folks... I've got more where this came from.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Exactly my point.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    more popcorn that is!
    Hey chubbs, report back to us on your success and/or failure re:thin crust pizza. I've not done pizza yet but plan to today using a fairly airy recipe but like thin crust too. Looking forward to hearing back from you.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Chubbs said:

Well, Sam, I am not a fan of your comments and I didn't poll the forum on their likes/dislikes. How did I know when I saw your name pop up as commenting on a thread it would be something like this? If you dont have a helpful comment, don't post on someone's thread. All of your posts are always negative and/or condescending... I guess that is to be expected from the almighty pizza creator.

Oh No he diden't!!!   [-X
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $