Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I Bought A LooftLighter

2»

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    r270ba said:
    That could be....did you have the lower vents open all the way without the screen door? After you lit the lump, did you continue to blow and spread the fire to other pieces?
    Yes and it lit up just like I have seen on the videos.  Honestly, there was probably only 1 level of used lump and 1 level of fresh lump deep.  I really didn't realize I was out until I went to light the egg :)).  
    To compare apples to apples...have you ever done that with your electric starter and it reached to temp faster? 
    Honestly, no I haven't

Just my experience--I am fortunate to have a large at home and at our weekend retreat.  Use looflighter at home, but regular electric starter on weekend when over there.  Electric starter takes 10 minutes in lump, looflighter takes 2 minutes to get even a hottor spot going than the electric.  Looflighter much quicker as it starts out 8 minutes ahead at the beginning.  I light both slightly toward the front of the egg.  Good luck.
    Great point!

SPRIGS said:
    Probably just didn't have enough lump in there.  With my XL - if I am grilling, I light the center and 4 spots around the center.  Leave the lid open for about 5 minutes and then close with all vents fully open.  It is usually at 425 plus within 15 minutes.
    I will keeping the dome open a little longer...closed it immediately yesterday.  How long should the flame last before it goes out?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I usually light in 2 or 3 places. Lighting consecutive spots takes less time than the first since it's all heated up nicely. Could it be that your holes were clogged a bit? Mine always takes a little bit longer when there's ash. This is your excuse to get a high-que grate ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • r270ba
    @yzzi I would love a high-que grate but my understanding is that they do not make them for an XL.  I did use the ash tool and made sure it wasn't clogged up (just a habit every time I fire it up).  I think it must have been the amount of lump I had.
    Anderson, SC

• In additon to cleaning ash out of bottom, don't forget there are 4 or 5 holes drilled around the bowl of the firebox.  These occassionaly clog with ash or a small piece of lump.  So, every once in awhile I just make sure they are clear--finger size, just stick your finger in them.
  • r270ba
    In additon to cleaning ash out of bottom, don't forget there are 4 or 5 holes drilled around the bowl of the firebox.  These occassionaly clog with ash or a small piece of lump.  So, every once in awhile I just make sure they are clear--finger size, just stick your finger in them.
    Sorry...that was what I meant was a habit...the holes in the bottom of the fire box...not the ash in the bottom of the egg.  But both were clear.
    Anderson, SC

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2013
    r270ba said:
    @yzzi I would love a high-que grate but my understanding is that they do not make them for an XL.  I did use the ash tool and made sure it wasn't clogged up (just a habit every time I fire it up).  I think it must have been the amount of lump I had.
    After I did the review of the grid from Michael's Custom Grill Works, I found out that he makes SS ash grates for any size ceramic cooker you like.  Everything he makes is hand made, so he can do pretty much anything.  He also told me that he can space the rods any way you like, so he has made some with 1/4 inch spacing to keep the small pieces from falling through.  Of course the more SS in the grid, the more expensive it gets, but he'll quote you a price.  I'm pretty happy with the two medium grids I have from him, and I went ahead and ordered some more grids from him.  I'll be updating the review when I get them and get a chance to photograph them.

Disclaimer: Michael advertises on my website and he gave me a grid for the test.  I've since bought 4 grids for my own use.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    r270ba said:
    You really don't need a highQ grate for the XL. The holes are bigger and there are a lot of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    The first time I used mine I thought that it didn't work as well as the video's ... then after the second time, I figured it out by lighting a couple small sections as stated above.  Also I think I saw someone explain that the machine runs a little better after it is used a few times.
  • So...I have a LooftLighter and have used it three times this week.....

My experience has been that to get the fire going (and, not worry that it gets snuffed-out) you have to hold the LooftLighter in one place for a period of time (20-30 seconds).  And, when I do that, the aluminum around the edge is already showing wear-n-tear.  ...a crack, in fact.

Anyone else used this thing for a period of time (more than the 3 times I have) that can speak to it's expected durability?

I love it - but, am a bit concerned, to be honest....