Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear question

i am doing a couple of filets on this evening and wanna make sure i'm on the right track.  going indirect @ 225-250 for about 20-30 min to get internal to 125?  then pull and get fire up to lava and sear for about 30-40 seconds?  i know the times are dependent on the steak sizes but rough estimates are nice :)
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I cook my steaks at 400 raised direct for ~ 8 min a side then I sear them down low on spider (high heat)

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What temp do you want to serve them at? How big is a good size?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Depends on how you like your steak but 125 may be high, remember it's going to keep cooking after that, I'd go 110-115 for a medium steak then sear
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71

If you are looking for medium rare, remove them at 105-110. Sear after resting the steaks for a little.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers!  

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    What temp do you want to serve them at? How big is a good size?
    i'd like to serve at 125- med rare.  prob 1"- 8oz fillets

• hoofaloos
    thanks guys, 
    i didn't consider the continual temp rise.  i'll pull much earlier than 125.  is 105-110 the internal temp in the middle or outside or will it even differ?

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Internal temp.

Most popular way to check is a Thermapen. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Little Steven
    Yeah, what all the other guys said. That's what I was driving at. Ever try a hot tub?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hoofaloos
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, what all the other guys said. That's what I was driving at. Ever try a hot tub?
    i think that may be on order for father's day.  polyscience?

• hoofaloos
    Internal temp.

Most popular way to check is a Thermapen. 
    right, and i've got a thermapen but i'm wondering if the internal temp varies based on where the thermapen tip rests- middle, outer interal, etc

• Little Steven
    edited June 2013
    hoofaloos said:
    i think that may be on order for father's day.  polyscience?
    You don't need a sous vide to do a hot tub because the meat isn't in the danger zone for more than an hour. Just use a pot of water mixed to about 100-110* for about 40 minutes per inch and then just cook it hot for a few minutes. Add hot water every few minutes to keep the temp up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    This may seem like a silly question, but when doing the reverse sear indirect, i assume it is grill over plate setter legs up? Also, do you need to flip the steak at all while it is cooking to internal temp?
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    @pirates21 PS legs up, no touching or flipping the meat during the cook and no peaking as much as you can. It works well for me but some guru here might have different methods.
  • Little Steven
    Tixunau said:
    @pirates21 PS legs up, no touching or flipping the meat during the cook and no peaking as much as you can. It works well for me but some guru here might have different methods.
    If you are indirect no flip, if direct flip once

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    pirates21 said:
    This may seem like a silly question, but when doing the reverse sear indirect, i assume it is grill over plate setter legs up? Also, do you need to flip the steak at all while it is cooking to internal temp?
    No silly questions, ever. I cook at indirect (over a setter legs up) at 225-250 if I can get it. Allows the steak to take on some smoke from the lump and IMO, the rub seems to flavor a little more than the direct heat approach. Smoke on the steak is not for everyone. No need to flip but you can if you want after maybe 10 minutes or so. 
    SWMBO likes her's well done so it hits the indirect at least 10 minutes before my medium rare. The real advantage is she actually likes steak when using reverse sear. When I did a direct cook her steak was pretty much burnt in order to get the internal to medium well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Thanks for the answers...so at approx 250 dome temp, if i want to pull the steak at about 110 to end up around medium, it would be about 20 mins? I guess you need to do the dreaded peek a few times to thermapen until you get used to the timing for the thickness of meat. I am usually new york strip 1.25 to 1.5 inch thick,
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith