Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 hour notice.

I get my XL big green egg delivered tomorrow afternoon!  I have 24 hours to plan, purchase, marinate/brine, and then cook tomorrow night!!

What should I be buying today?     My first thought is to buy steaks for tomorrow night because no need to brine or soak. And, also buy a chicken to brine and dry in time for either Thursday or Friday night.   

I was going to do my first pork shoulder/butt this weekend, but I don't have a remote temperature sensor yet. Just a thermapen.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    Start with ribs. Very easy to start with and get used to the BGE.

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Spatchcock a chicken

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You do not need remote temp for a butt. I don't use one
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Don't need a remote... Temp till close.. Pull the butt as soon as the bone will come out easily. Have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I would need something other than just a thermapen and the dome thermo to do a low and slow right?  I feel I would be opening the egg too often at the end without it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Everything on the Egg, save brisket, is pretty fail-proof; might just be my personal preference but I'd start with a pork butt.

When I got mine, I did a burn just to get used to dialing temps in; don't think it's necessary but it can't hurt.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2013
    Chicken is great on the egg.  I have never tried brining- I usually just dust it with some rub and throw it on.  Wings, thighs, quarters, or a whole chicken spatchcocked or vertical roaster...they all come out great.  Perhaps they would be even better brined, but I wouldn't hesitate to just pick up some yardbird, dust it with rub,  and throw it on the egg for your first cook ;)

Here is a great link for instructions on how to spatch:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    +1 on the Spatchcock chicken. It's almost foolproof. Rub it, Smoke it, Eat it.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    If I am not mistaken mother ship advises strongly against blast furnace temps until you have a couple of lower temp experiences to let the gasket adhesive cure... Steak will take you out of low temp pretty quick. My first day I just had a fire...let it burn for a couple of hours just getting used to controlling the temperature. In retrospect I could have just as easily cooked some chicken while I was doing that...
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Thick pork chops (bone in if possible) brined for just a couple of hours, maybe three would be delectable and almost foolproof. A good basic brine would be 1 gallon of water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tbs. garlic powder, 2 tbs. dried onion, 1 tbs. paprika (you can crank it up with smoked or hot), 1 tbs. dried sage, 1 tbs. dried thyme and 2 tbs. whole peppercorns. Bring it to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes then cool to below 40 degrees (put the pot in the sink with some iced water to cool quickly). Put the chops and the brine in a two-gallon zip-lock bag, expel the air and leave in the fridge. Rinse and dry them and back in the fridge for an hour to form a slight pellicle (sticky surface to catch lots of smoky flavor. You can cook them pretty fast and hot and they will still be juicy. Yummo!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Thatgrimguy
    Spaightlabs said:
    If I am not mistaken mother ship advises strongly against blast furnace temps until you have a couple of lower temp experiences to let the gasket adhesive cure... Steak will take you out of low temp pretty quick. My first day I just had a fire...let it burn for a couple of hours just getting used to controlling the temperature. In retrospect I could have just as easily cooked some chicken while I was doing that...
    Ahh. Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    +1 on the butt.  I did my first with no external probe, a dial meat thermometer spot check and my BGE.  Spatchcock (which is fancy term for cut in half and butterflied carcass) chicken is also a very easy option.  Even burgers will taste so much better than anything else you have done on a gasser or briquette cooker.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Butt is very forgiving and once you stabilize at 250-300, can be easily cooked during the day. This will allow you and your egg to get acquainted. If it stalls too long and needs some help, foil it for an hour or so. You are good to go. Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • damnedhooligan
    damnedhooligan Posts: 213
    edited June 2013
    @Thatgrimguy:
    This is so exciting! Takes me back to when my XL got delivered. Make sure to take a pic like I did of mine below....it will remind you of the first and last time you will ever see that baby so clean
    :-S

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Thatgrimguy
    Well, it didn't get delivered last night, still waiting on the table. But I just got a call that it will be here tonight!  I'm going to do a spatchcock chicken tonight

I work too much to do a butt during the week. But this weekend I'm definitely doing one.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    The overnight or all day butt is a lot easier then u think. The egg holds temp so well. Had mine about 6 weeks and I have been cooking 3 or 5 times a week and the food and how easy to cook with still blowing me away. It is a great ride.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Thatgrimguy
    Yeah, I know it's going to be loads easier than my Chargriller with the smoke box! 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Well. I did a Spatchcock chicken last night!! Best chicken I have ever had in my life!!! 

But everytime I try to post about it, it says I need to wait for approval that never happens.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Well. I did a Spatchcock chicken last night!! Best chicken I have ever had in my life!!! 

But everytime I try to post about it, it says I need to wait for approval that never happens.
    I've gotten that sometimes when posting something with several nested quotes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    no need for a remote thermometer yo have to set your pit temp for 225 and leave it alone for at the least 12 hours after that check it with a internal  thermometer looking bfor a meat temp of 185v to 190 and you will be just fine 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.