Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Non-Traditional" Meats

Had a Kanagroo slider at the Toronto Dickson Eggfest this weekend. It wasn't bad but, I probably won't be rushing out to get my own kangaroo meat.

Just wondering what other "non-traditional" (at least in terms of what we normally eat here in N.A.) you've tried and what were the results?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Ostrich steaks are excellent. It is my son's favorite meat. Like a beef tenderloin only with a little more flavor.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    not technically meat, but I've had some good success with various types of offal. Braised a cow tongue with great success.  Grilled beef heart and marinated grilled chicken hearts were awesome...grilled beef liver wasn't so great...still trying to figure that cook out.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    not technically meat, but I've had some good success with various types of offal. Braised a cow tongue with great success.  Grilled beef heart and marinated grilled chicken hearts were awesome...grilled beef liver wasn't so great...still trying to figure that cook out.

My friend did grilled calves liver at the Toronto Fest on Saturday and it was great. I've grilled provimi veal with great results

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited June 2013

Ostrich as well.  Agree with Foghorn - more flavourful.  Emu - very tender, very dark meat and tenderloin like if cooked to medium rare as too tough if medium well.  Wild boar roast which was better than any roast of beef I've tried.  And the slower squirrels in the dead of winter - tasted kinda squirrely.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    +1 on the ostrich... had a filet once and is was delicious.

Also had fried rattle snake and alligator. Was okay with both of those but found them both a bit chewy.

Rocky Mountain Oysters were also delicious!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

My friend did grilled calves liver at the Toronto Fest on Saturday and it was great. I've grilled provimi veal with great results

nice. Any details on the cook? I've still got more liver in the freezer. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Haven't tried it yet,but looking to find some goat for this weekend.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Not Egged but I've ate Nutria Gumbo at a Blackpot Cookoff in Louisiana .
    Pensacola,FL
  • Little Steven
    edited June 2013

nice. Any details on the cook? I've still got more liver in the freezer. 
    The cook itself was just salt and pepper and very fresh liver. He made an onion and double smoked bacon sauce that I will get and post it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Lamb fries are pretty good. Love moose but that is pretty traditional.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I did Elk tenderloin steaks with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and they came out great! They are really lean and did the T-Rex method.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2013
    I've had ground ostrich, and it was quite good. Unfortunately, haven't seen any around here for some time.

There are 3 things that are uncommon where i live, which seems somewhat odd to me. Bison, goat & rabbit.

Local Indian, Mid-eastern & Oriental mrkts carry goat. I've read it is the most commonly eaten meat in the world. My wife and I had some very good Jamaican goat curry. My attempts to cook it have not been so great. In fact, my wife, after 2 tries, has told me not to bother again unless she is out of town. I have a friend who says it is mostly the age of the animal that determines the quality. He says fresh young cabrito is excellent.

Historic record indicate that there were once as many wild bison in NoAm s there now are farmed cattle.  I'm seeing more of it, and there is even a small heard about 20 miles from me here in Indiana.  It has a light sweet flavor. Can be slightly difficult to cook, because it is so lean. Rare steaks are very good, and burgers w. some sauce mixed in also good. The ribs I tried were the toughest meat I have ever had.

I'm a little perplexed about why rabbit is so scarce. Next to quail, it is supposed to be the most meat for the feed. It is extremely lean, and rather bland. I make it a couple of times a year. The way I've liked best, I poach portions in oil w. lots of herbs, till they are almost tender, and then sear. Not bad if covered w. tandoori paste, and then grilled direct.

As far as offals go, I do beef, pig, and lamb hearts fairly often. Likewise, beef and pig tongue. The family has enjoyed all of those, tho' it took me a couple of times to to come up w. methods that worked well.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Toronto eggfest... No whale, baby seal, moose. I'm disappointed.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Armadillo is the best meat I've ever eaten.  After they found leprosy in some in West Texas, people quit eating them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    henapple said:
    Toronto eggfest... No whale, baby seal, moose. I'm disappointed.
    @henapple, global warming has really curtailed the population of that traditional arctic circle fare.
    Camel tastes like lamb - only stronger.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Bear is good but you have to stew or braise it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON