Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Should I Cook?

Options
The in-laws are here for the week and I want to cook possibly a few meals on the Egg for them. I can't decide what to cook, though. There will be six of us. Last time they were here, I did a Boston Butt and they loved it. I would like to do a brisket, but I've never done one before and am worried that my first one may be a flop...

Any ideas?

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Stuffed pork loin fairly easy and impressive looking . Been a few done on here you could search it
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    Options
    Good idea! What would you stuff it with?
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Ribs or chicken wings are my go to for something like that
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    As you know, the list is endless.  But, if you want something everyone will like and is easy, do some shrimp (just don't overcook it). Fried, sautéed, grilled, stir fried, scampi, bacon wrapped, etc. etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Pretty much anything you like . Sundried tomatoes roasted peppers feta cheese or rasins , apples pretty much endless all depends on what you like . I've done them and so have a few others . Your search should show you a few ideas
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    As you know, the list is endless.  But, if you want something everyone will like and is easy, do some shrimp (just don't overcook it). Fried, sautéed, grilled, stir fried, scampi, bacon wrapped, etc. etc.
    @VI is right, shrimp is always a crowd pleaser. Especially if cooked right. Google Kristi's (@NecessaryIndulgences) blog and take a look at her pistacio shrimp. Easy and unbelievable. She has a lot of great recipes on her site.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    First question is... do you want them to be regular visitors?  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Haha - @TexanOfTheNorth they're from SD and I'm in GA so I don't have to worry too much about that! Perhaps I should've clarified that these ARE good in-laws! I don't want to poison them  :\">

Thanks for all the ideas so far!
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    What temperature do you grill shrimp and for how long?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Tri-tip is a good alternative to brisket if you want to give that a try.  It is really good and it is a quick cook. 
    This is the recipe I used:

It is a little harder to find...I haven't seen it in the grocery stores.  You can find it at Costco or in specialty butchers. 

Since you are cooking a few meals- I would definitely do chicken for one of them.  Doesn't really matter what- wings, thighs, quarters, or a couple of spatchcock.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I use a medium high heat .... 400 or so, and grill until just pink (maybe a minute on each side or less).  Shrimp gets rubbery when overcooked.  After a while, you'll get a feel for it, but until then, buy more than you'll need and test it while cooking by eating a few.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    If you enjoy seafood you might also consider putting some scallops on.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Pizza nights are always fun.  They can build them the way they like. 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    If you want to really impress them do a reverse sear prime rib.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

The only downside is that they will probably start looking at local real estate after the meal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dawsonhull
    Options
    Made @NecessaryIndulgences pistachio shrimp last night along with some scallops seared in a CI skillet. I think it was a hit!

Tonight I'm doing @Cazzy's wings - they're marinating right now. I don't know what I'd do without this forum!!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Well done @dawsonhull, looks fantastic. I'm probably old enough to be your father-in-law if you ever want to have me over!
    Options
    Man, the shrimp and scallops look fantastic!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

Here's a link to a great stuffed pork loin recipe-change it up as you like but always a winner.

http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dawsonhull
    Options
    Thanks guys! @lousubcap that looks great - adding it to my "to-cook" list.

@TexanOfTheNorth Come on over! Good idea with the scallops!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I wish I'd seen this thread yesterday! I'm in almost the same boat. Father in law is visiting and I want to dazzle. These are all great ideas

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE