Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next throw down- Cast Iron Cookoff! Big money! Big Prizes!

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
What:
The next throw down will be a cast iron cook off!  Thanks to @shtgunal3  for the suggestion.  The rules are simple.  Cook any dish you like using cast iron on the egg.  Skillet, griddle, dutch oven...whatever you got.  Post the pics here and the most "likes" wins.  You are encouraged to post pictures of the raws and the recipe.  If there are any questions please PM me and we will try to keep this discussion mainly for throw down cooks. 

When: 
Entries will be accepted starting now through Sunday Jun 9th.  We will keep the voting lines open through Tuesday Jun 11th and tally the votes and announce the winner Wed Jun 12th.  

How:
Well, that's really up to you now isn't it!

Prize:
In order to encourage participation, the winner will receive a $25 Dizzy Pig gift card.  That's how Smokey rolls. 

Let's throw it down!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Awesome.... thanks smokey love the idea of the reward!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited June 2013
    Edit
    Scratch that.  Read post in full and I think it answered my question.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    No sign up required.  Post some pics of your cook and you are officially entered!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Griffins Pineapple Upside Down cake should be entered fo sho.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/cast-iron-skillet-pineapple-upside-down-cake/

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Can I use ManGrates or would that be considered an unfair advantage?
    Mamaroneck
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That would make a guaranteed win. Smokey, go ahead and send the gift card to Mama.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    That would make a guaranteed win. Smokey, go ahead and send the gift card to Mama.
    Probably better if you didn't.  I'd just blow it all on more mangrates.
    Mamaroneck
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Sounds great. I'm in!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    I've changed my mind about something in my original post.  Please feel free to comment in this thread as much as you want.  If you have questions- go ahead and ask them here.  Let's keep this one bumped up to the top and see if we can take some attention from that blasted wicked good thread that won't die!!!  Just include lots of pics in the cook post and it will be easy enough to pick them out from the chatter. 

;)

• SmokeyPitt
    I was asked if the baking steel will count as cast iron.  The board has voted on this, and the baking steel will qualify for this throw down!!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I won't be able to place an entry. I've recently discovered ci and love it. I'm looking forward to the recipes and pics. Good luck y'all.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I may have to wait for the next one. My schedule is packed the next week or so with a party. I was going to make a butt load of baked beans in the Dutch oven so I suppose I could do that. I'll have to get creative with that I guess.
    Dunedin, FL
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Do we post the cooks right in this thread?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited June 2013
    freddyj said:

Do we post the cooks right in this thread?

That's right. Post the pics right here, and then anyone can vote by liking your post. Most likes wins!

• I assume the CI grid counts, even if having that be the only cast iron used is lame and uncreative?

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    He'll yeah dude! Way to set the bar high @u_tarded

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Nice cook @U_tarded

Everyone may be playing for 2nd after that cook!   =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    ...and @u_tarded comes out swinging!  Very nice man!  

• SmokeyPitt
    I assume the CI grid counts, even if having that be the only cast iron used is lame and uncreative?
    A CI grid will play.  I was thinking CI cookware originally but if all you have is a grid then bring it on! 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Extend if you want to @SmokeyPitt... I think I've got this one in the bag anyway!  B-)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Extend if you want to @SmokeyPitt... I think I've got this one in the bag anyway!  B-)
    I like the confidence!  ;)  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

It has to be in cast iron... Not a bag.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Sounds good. Multiple entries ok? I'll put my beans in there just for kicks, but I'd like to do something more winnable.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPitt

yzzi said:
    Sounds good. Multiple entries ok? I'll put my beans in there just for kicks, but I'd like to do something more winnable.
    Sure- multiple entries are fine.  Obviously you don't get to add up your "likes" from multiple posts ;).  Winner will be determined by the post with most likes. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Ok, the board has voted and this throwdown has been extended.  

Updated Timeline:
    Entries will be accepted through Sunday Jun 16th.  
    Voting lines open through Tuesday Jun 18th 
    Winner announced on Wed Jun 19th.

• SmokeyPitt
    Burgers look great!  Just to clarify- were the burgers cooked in the bacon grease?  If so, bonus points awarded ;).