Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Grid Extender...Grate Question

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
What will you guys be using for a grid for your second level. Went to my dealer today and picked up a large grid for my XL. $57 for a large grid...gulp. Went to Lowes and peaked at a weber grid. $10. Here is the dilemma. A large grid is 18 inches. A weber grid is 17 inches. Is the extra inch worth the $47? The gauge of the steel looked to be the same on both grids.

Also, my buddy has a large egg and is getting the extender as well. The medium grid is an inch smaller than the weber. Will the weber grid fit on the second tier of the large?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Options

I have that Weber grid that I'm currently using with some bolts and nuts on it to raise it.  I will be converting it over for the Extender once it gets here.  It's a good grid but not stainless so keep it oiled so it won't rust. 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    the porcelain grid for the egg is being discontinued according to my dealer and is around 25 for the large according to them 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Just use the Weber......been running one in my XL for 2 years with no problems.  If it ever rusts and falls out, I'll throw it away, spend another $8.97, and be good for a few years more.

If you want to be extra efficient, buy two.  Sandwich them together at a 45 or 90 degree angle to form a cross hatch, then tack weld them in a few spots.  Keep the charcoal from falling through the slats.

I use expanded stainless steel grates in my large and medium, but the 18.5" span in the XL would be an expensive cut of metal when the Weber can do it for a 1/4 of the cost.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Listen unless your Bill Gates get the weber grid and with the savings get a high Q fire grate!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bigphil
    Options
    for the extended grid i'd want the sturdiest grid i could find for the upper grate less chance of flexing 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Listen unless your Bill Gates get the weber grid and with the savings get a high Q fire grate!!!!

They don't make them for the XL.  The span is too large to keep it from warping.  The Weber will warp, but just flip it over after you do a clean out.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bigphil said:
    the porcelain grid for the egg is being discontinued according to my dealer and is around 25 for the large according to them 
    I bought the med for $34 today but my dealer is a pimp. I'm sure he's getting full nut for it (love you Bob :))

He's a great dude and I love the shop, but he's straight up retail. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker thats not a bad thing really provided the service is top notch i'd rather pay a little more knowing each and every time i'll be taken care of .much better than sell you and screw you after a sale for a lesser price