Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not sure what to buy

Jaymet73
Jaymet73 Posts: 24
edited May 2013 in Forum Feedback

I'm getting a large egg and the dealer near me offers the nest, egg and plate setter as a package or I can get just the egg with 20% of the package price. The dilemma is should I do the package deal or for almost the same price get just the egg from the dealer, the customer adjustable rig combo online and make a table. 

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Started with a medium with plate setter in a nest w/ mates.  Now have a large, adjustable rig, and table I built.  There's no comparison with the versatilty of the AR and the workspace of a table.  And there's just something satifying about having a table built to your exact needs.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Just the egg and buy your own stuff. You won't be sorry.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Also, I'd have the table made to sit next to the egg in a nest. You can have a half moon cut out of one side if the table to make it fit nicely. If you want to get fancy, there could be a removable wraparound so the table goes around the egg.

The point is versatility, options and ease of use. The egg is a bastard to get in and out of a hole. Plus there is the pain of figuring out what to rest the egg on. There was a thread just today asking where to find the perfect thing to rest the egg on.
  • travisstrick
    I was just reading another thread on the front page and a guy broke his new egg trying to put it into the hole in his table.
  • Jaymet73
    Thanks Travisstrick and Biz I have alot to learn and can't wait to get my egg.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    +1 for AR and buy what you need.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I have a large and am thinking of adding a second egg at some point. My plan is for a SS table to sit beside/between them with storage. My set up is on an elevated deck and I would rather have the egg(s) in nests instead of locked into a table.

Always plan ahead. Advice my father gave me that hasn't let me down yet.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited May 2013
    Can't help on the AR as I only have a platesetter, but I built a side table on casters instead of doing a table with a hole and I am very happy with that decision. This way I can easily move the egg in the nest and table if I need to.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited May 2013
    I got a similar deal. Bought the egg only for $700 + tax. Had picked up the platesetter initially, then returned it. Built an all-terrain EggCrate and love it. Once you start using the egg you'll figure out what eggcessories you really need/want and can add on as you go. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My wife bought me my egg. She bought the package deal. I returned the nest and mates and built my own table.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    For my 2 cents, For the large egg, no placesetter ( mine is still unused after 3 years, the AR (adj rig) set up with the "oval" or rectangular grids, woo with stone....all good.  I gotta a bunch of stuff from the first purchases I aint never used....just sayin..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Like others said, I would recommend just getting the egg. I made a mistake on my purchase because I bought it with the nest. However, it works out for me in the end since I didn't build any table so far and it's been a year or so living with egg :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Jaymet73
    Thanks for all the great insight. This forum is awesome.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    FWIW, I built a table but I finally moved to a nest after about 10 years.  The table was too much work for a lazy person like me to keep up, and I was apparently also too lazy to keep the cover on it, so it was looking pretty grim.  I have multiple Eggs, so if I need more table space than the two side tables, I just whip off the cover from another Egg and open up the side tables.  But with our humidity and all the cr*p that falls from the trees, the table needed constant maintenance.

The Naked Whiz
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    if anything at all make sure you get the plate setter it is the best investment in your egg 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    if anything at all make sure you get the plate setter it is the best investment in your egg 
    That is one of the things he is asking. Platesetter or adjustable rig.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    havent used my platesetter since I got the AR
  • JNealLawson
    JNealLawson Posts: 11
    I've had my egg for less than a month, and I got a nest which I like.  I have an outdoor table next to it that I've found very helpful for holding my improvised parts, and I'll build a table as travisstrick suggests at some point.

I don't have an AR or plate setter yet, so I used tomato paste cans to raise my grate, and I built an indirect setup with an old grate in the bottom with normal bricks wrapped in foil and the tomato can risers.  It works, but I think I'll get a AR and stone as I do lots of indirect cooking, and that setup is extremely versatile.
    LBGE, 2 UDS, lots of Georgia pecan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's like asking someone who their favorite Spice Girls is..... Ok, maybe not. Point is you'll have to decide what's best for you and your situation.... Which will change from time to time. If it were me I'd either go with nest or nothing. Wait to get a feel for your table needs and your accessories. I cooked with mine sitting on the concrete patio for a while.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Hi as I just hatched my egg last month. Wife got me the whole package LBGE/nest/composite shelfs & platesetter  If I had to do it again I would have went for the AR and table instead of my package. Just the cost of the platesetter would of almost covered  the price of a ARcombo.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Little Steven
    ReldtiCDN said:
    Hi as I just hatched my egg last month. Wife got me the whole package LBGE/nest/composite shelfs & platesetter  If I had to do it again I would have went for the AR and table instead of my package. Just the cost of the platesetter would of almost covered  the price of a ARcombo.
    Another Canuck I assume, where are you at bye

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ReldtiCDN
    edited May 2013
    Bramladesh Car insurance capital of Canada
    Brampton, Ontario

• Little Steven
    My office is at Rutherford and Orenda. I live in Caledon

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ReldtiCDN
    edited May 2013
    Close by
    Brampton, Ontario

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have had my egg for about 8 months. I bought a package from the US ( I drove over the border, LBGE, cover, nest, mates, ash tool, grill gripper, bag o lump, and platesetter. Saved $700 so buying at home.)

I love it , but the eggmates just don't provide enough table space if you are doing a transfer etc. I have to strategically think it out prior to making my moves. LOL. Living in Canada the AR was super expensive to get shipped so I didn't go that route. For my needs I did travel to DC and picked up a 3 tier setup while there saving some $$ as well, and this serves me well.

I am looking at getting a Challenger table as the choices up here are sad. I will keep my nest in case I change my mind.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I went with just the Egg with no nest or "package" and built my own table.  The plate setter was the only accessory I got at the initial purchase which I consider a necessity.  My discount was closer to 30% though.  I'd do it exactly the same way again.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer