Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Lodge in Dallas, TX

Options

So after the Texas Monthly article I went down to Pecan Lodge today to try it out.

Got picked up at my office which is 3 minutes from the Farmers Market at 10:55 (heard to get their early....easily the understatement of the day)  I figure people start lining up for lunch at 10 based upon the line when we got there.  Asked the fudge guy how long the line from where we were standing would take...he said 30 minutes....he was darn close...it was right at an hour and 45 minutes. Never tried his fudge.  I grew increasing skeptical that this could possibly be worth the wait, but when descriptions of "best bbq in Dallas" (not saying much IMO) and "amazing" were routinely being thrown around by others waiting, we were committed and hungry.  Decided in line that combo ribs and brisket was the choice with a side of slaw....

Here are my observations:

1. Brisket was cooked perfectly....and flat out worth the wait.

2. Ribs - wish i had a double order of the brisket. Rub overpowered the pork flavor and they were dry and mostly overcooked. 

3. Slaw was bland but actually a good choice to balance out the spiciness of the meat.

4. The owner is a marketing genius.  Open Thurs to Sunday, 11 till you run out, creates a mytique about the food especially in Dallas proper. It is easily the best store bought brisket i have had in Texas but I think the overall ranking is so high either because patrons are literally famished by waiting for 2 hours for this que or a lack of solid competition in town.  I think I would have eaten my shoe leather with some Sweet Baby Ray's and called it amazing by the time we waited and got to eat Pecan Lodge today.

Its a solid 7 out of 10 overall with a 10 for the brisket alone.  Dickey's across the street from my office being a 2.5 out of 10 in comparison.  Worth the wait once....next time I will have it catered in.

Comments

• Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to go there myself. By your username you live in the Frisco area?
  • FriscoFrog
    FriscoFrog Posts: 18
    Options
    Yep.  Been in Frisco 11 years. Main and Teel area.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I've heard of Dallas.  Is it really in Texas?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nice write up. It's been awhile since we've stopped by there (as in prior to them being shown on Diner,Drive-ins and Dives or any other tv show and prior to them constructing a building/shed around the pit). From what I remember, your description of the ribs was spot on. Dry and didn't care much for the rub. I was hoping that had changed. Justin was a nice guy. I walked up and he showed me his pit and we talked bbq, temp and wood. Later, when he saw me eating, he brought over a plate of brisket (which the cashier had said they were out of when we ordered)

Was actually planning on meeting some people there tomorrow morning around 9:30. I'll stand in line while the Mrs. gets some veggies from the market. We'll see if my memory is accurate on what I remember.

@Village_Idiot isn't Houston part of Louisiana? ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Aggie96_Egger
    Options
    I am in the same area. Where do you buy the majority if your meat from?
  • Federalist226
    Options
    Best thing on the menu is the beef rib, and it is absolutely amazing. I think you just had a bad batch of pork ribs. The ones I've had have given the brisket a run for the money.
  • FriscoFrog
    FriscoFrog Posts: 18
    Options

Federalist - thanks, Im always open for a second try but waiting for 2 hours on a Thursday or Friday adds to the price of admission IMO.  That factored into my review of the ribs and frankly leaves no margin for error.

Aggie96 - most of my stuff comes from Costco, Sams and market street.  Wifey has a mental block on Kroger but i will sneak in slabs of ribs from there when they are on sale.  Matadors at 121 and Preston for anything special although we got a bad batch of hamburger there a few months ago and havent been back nearly as much.  Like to support the local guy even if the price is a little higher although again, quality needs to be there. 

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    You may want to try Hirsch's meat market in Plano...NW corner of Parker and Alma.  You can sign onto their web site and be notified of sales.  Excellent meat and poultry....very friendly staff.  Been going there for 15 years.
    Fairview, Texas
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Pecan Lodge is a tasty treat, I usually go when the wife and I go down to farmers market and sneak over there.

On a secret note, Sundays are Burnt Ends. Don't tell anybody.

Next week we are going to the hill country for a fun little rode trip and I plan on hitting Franklins.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Don't waste your energy on anything other than brisket (fatty). It's all good but they are famous for one thing and one thing only. You can get everything else several places. You can get the brisket at Franklin, la barbecue (John mueller's sister and franklin's ex pit boss when he got famous) or John Mueller's meet co (Franklin worked for John and that's how he learned). If you don't want to wait 2 hrs, try the others. They are very close. Franklin is awesome though. The line is fun and adds to the experience. Get there by 10am. Bring chairs and some beers to share.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX