Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Cooks!

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
So what does everybody have planned for their memorial day weekend cooks?

I plan on attempting a brisket one day, then we'll be having stuffed peppers and chicken kebobs the next day.  Should be an amazing weekend with no plans and nowhere to be. 
Nothing on the agenda but, smoking/grilling meat, adult beverages, and good tunes.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Ribs. 6 racks or so. ABT's countless other sides
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Nothing at the moment.  Want to do something good but dont have a clue.  Saturday we are out at a party and may make some appetizers on the Egg in the morning to bring.  Sunday we will be home though and I do not have a clue on what to make.  Do not want to cook a butt or brisket - needs better ideas.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm thinking BBQ on Saturday, Pizza on Sunday with left-over pork, and "cook-out" stuff on Monday like steak, hamburgers, sausages etc. 

Then I'll open up the vents and use the afterburner to set off bottle rockets. My cat will no be pleased.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Ribs, hotdogs and burgers on Saturday, butts on Sunday, chicken on Monday. Pretty standard but easy to knock out for lots of people.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Turkey breast for sammiches on Wednesday, Pork Shots, ABT's and Wings for Thursday, 2 Butts for Friday, Catered event for my Daughters graduation party on Saturday from Verrazanos (the Italian restaurant where she works) and still working on the menu for Sunday and Monday. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    After my wife's comment on the Throw Down page I will be doing a copy cat recipe of what SmokeyPitts did.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Yem, are you in the Grand Rapids area?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • YEMTrey

otter said:
    Yem, are you in the Grand Rapids area?
    No, I'm in Cincinnati. I do however head up there every now and again to hit Founders and HopCat on my Michigan beer ventures.
    Steve 

• otter
    otter Posts: 340
    10-4 I saw you said Herman's Boy, that is where I got my LBGE. Talked to them about a small and they think I should get a medium....
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Probably some pimiento cheeseburgers one day and then either a pork butt or turkey breast, depending on what the Mrs. is in the mood for.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    16# brisket,  I'm thinking burgers,  ribs. I hope more lol. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited May 2013
    A friend/coworker gave me a six pound rib roast from Omaha Steaks for helping him out on a project.  Also came with some burgers.  This will all be cooked up over the weekend.
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Smoked Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, starting with smoked pickled brine chicken on The Egg and muchos cervezas.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have about thirty pounds of fresh Amberjack being dropped off tomorrow morning.  I plan on brining it and getting it hot smoked in the next couple of days.  Have a couple of beef tenderloins i want to cook with some fresh veggies this weekend..
  • Wreckt01
    Wreckt01 Posts: 28
    Saturday is Pork butt and brisket, Memorial day is baby backs, 
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I'll be packing up my large and taking it to our family lake house for the weekend.  I'm planning on 2 butts for Sunday as well as focaccia bread based off ClayQ's presentation at the GA Mountain Eggfest.  I'm sure we'll be Egging it up the rest of the weekend too, but that's as far as I've planned.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Grilling some chicken and sausage for my sister, because that's her favorite. Going to throw some deer sausage diablos on as an appetizer. 

Father's day is going to more than likely pork ribs and chicken because it's my dad's favorite (and sausage too probably, because what is a bbq without some sausage?) According to the old man, I spent "too damn much money on that thing" and I'm going to show him exactly why I bought it. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • weredaone
    weredaone Posts: 53

it's my daughters Birthday weekend (they turn 11, twins) so they are asking for me to do some dinner on the BGE.

need some help; they would like some grilled oysters to start. need any repipe ideas ??

they also would like prime rib!! I haven't done one before so any tips there would be welcomed as well!!

Thanks for the help!!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Tonight, I'm doing cedar-planked salmon. At some point this weekend, I'm trying a stuffed pork tenderloin, like the one I saw blowing up the forum today. 

This is what I'm looking forward to, though: My 13 year old has a baseball tournament this weekend, with games at 8:00 and 2:00.  We're doing a big potluck between games, with burgers, hot dogs, beans, tater salad, etc.  Since my large isn't portable, I'll be getting up early and making about 50-60 ABT's, then transporting them to the fields. 

I realize this is all about the kids, and having a fun get together with the parents and coaches, but we all know that potluck is Latin for "competition". 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I'm doing Asian marinated chicken with orange-roe salsa sticky rice tonight.

Probably rib-eye steaks tomorrow night.  Ribs on Saturday and brisket on Sunday :)

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I have chicken wings and mushroom cooks planned for Memorial day but as I'm getting closer to it, it may not happen as my best friend just got admitted in hospital.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    SaltySam said:

Tonight, I'm doing cedar-planked salmon. At some point this weekend, I'm trying a stuffed pork tenderloin, like the one I saw blowing up the forum today. 

This is what I'm looking forward to, though: My 13 year old has a baseball tournament this weekend, with games at 8:00 and 2:00.  We're doing a big potluck between games, with burgers, hot dogs, beans, tater salad, etc.  Since my large isn't portable, I'll be getting up early and making about 50-60 ABT's, then transporting them to the fields. 

I realize this is all about the kids, and having a fun get together with the parents and coaches, but we all know that potluck is Latin for "competition". 

+1
    Pentwater, MI
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    doing ribs , wings and wanna try stuffed peppers in the ci dutch oven and our friday night pizza 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Seared Ahi tonight, Saturday is steak night and my first attempt at Chorizo.  Sunday Im thinking smoked meatloaf starting with chuck roast and grinding myself :).  Monday most likely ribs.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • YEMTrey
    Went to the butcher this evening when I got home from work.  They were already pillaged for the holiday weekend.  As far as brisket is concerned, they only had a flat left.  They were out of their homemade cheddar brats (they're amazing). Ended up grabbing the brisket flat and a couple chicken kabobs for another cook. 
    The flat is still a pretty good size.  Hate doing just the flat for my first brisket attempt, but I'm sure there will be plenty of more opportunities.
    Steve 

• Cookinslow
    Cookinslow Posts: 45
    Went to SAMs tonight bought the twin pack of Boston butts and a 8 lb. flat Brisket. 1st attempt at the Brisket.. Plan on cooking it for Sunday lunch. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    @YEMTrey, what butcher do you use?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• YEMTrey

bodski said:
    @YEMTrey, what butcher do you use?
    I always go to Humbert's on Winton.
    Steve 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I go to Humbert's too.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    edited May 2013
    Sadly, I'll be at the baseball fields from sun up to sun down all 3 days Saturday/Sunday and Monday

Wouldn't change it for the world but this is my down season for cooking on the egg is when my boys are playing baseball.
    Large BGE