Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Mod #1 and inaugural cook

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
I've been thinking of ways to homebrew a mini woo ring  type of device. A simple solution for raised direct cooking was to cut 2 lengths of aluminum angle (1.5" wide), each 9" long. Raised the grid above the felt line, and fits just right on either side of the parallel bars that run down the center of the grid, so the grid doesn't slide about. I have an idea for accommodating a small pizza stone for indirect cooks, but that will likely be Mini Mod #2.

Lit him up with some WGWW (the only bag that I have and will be able to have for the time being). Temps rocketed up pretty quickly.

Heated up one of my round Lodge fajita skillets and did some mushrooms. These were bought pre-made, some kind of southwestern mix for the stuffing. Forgot to cook them on the weekend, so had to use em up. They were okay - on the bland side, and could have definitely used some rub or seasoning. 

I  love the new addition to the egg family!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice mod! You putting a motor on this one? :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Bravo.... well done... I need the griddle. Which one is that?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I would love to have one of those shrooms!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Bravo.... well done... I need the griddle. Which one is that?
    Get a Lodge Comal.  Mine is about 80 years old, but they're the exact same as they were then.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    Options
    @RAC - Thinking about it :)

@Chubbs - its a Lodge 9" or 10". Comes with a wooden tray/holder. Got them for my birthday last year (present to myself).

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I just picked up a large griddle.. No long handle. Fits the large perfect. I didn't see it on their website.. Discontinued? I found it at tj maxx... $40.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    nice.... is alum ok to get that hot with food? (i just don't have a clue)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options
    This is the Lodge round griddle that I have. The wooden tray is separate. I think I paid about $20 for griddle and wooden tray at a restaurant supply store here in Houston.

@Mickey : The melting point of aluminum is supposedly 1221°F. I got the mini up to 650°F just to play around with the temp control, and the aluminum angle seems just fine, without any warping, etc. Aluminum pots and cookware have been around for a long time, so I don't think there is any particular risk associated with proximity to food etc. I'm speculating though, so anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @caliking, Alright you've cooked on it and came up with your your first mod, it's either time to update your signature or donate the mini to me...
    =))
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking, Alright you've cooked on it and came up with your your first mod, it's either time to update your signature or donate the mini to me...
    =))
    Done!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Very good, carry on. Can't wait to see what your next mod is.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That is SEXY!!

I still think they should call the mini a 'Little Green Egg'.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

@caliking Great cook and mod! I just ordered the Lodge griddle @Mickey recommended (9.25 inch from Mission RS) for my mini. So, I'm looking forward to using it too.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

@caliking Great cook and mod! I just ordered the Lodge griddle @Mickey recommended (9.25 inch from Mission RS) for my mini. So, I'm looking forward to using it too.

It is made to fit in the Mini Woo
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.