Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frickin' chicken

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Got a little tongue tied yesterday and call chicken fried chicken..frickin' chicken.( no pbr consumed at this time) Henceforth that will be my official name for this dish. Sort of a test run on the throw down and in an unusual suprise I was very, very pleased with the outcome, as was the family. I was able to spend my afternoon cooking and working on my barrel project.
First i fried some bacon. Mainly for the grease but also because i can...
Soaked the flattened chicken in whole milk and an egg. My son cried when he saw the whole milk...mama buys skim.
Most people probably dredge their chicken but i bag it and let it set for a while. From the old catfish fry days.
I used my ci platter or griddle under my skillet. My first fry on the egg and thought the griddle might catch any spitting grease. Temp was around 500 dome which was perfect. Used the thermapen for the grease and the chicken. Put the Chicken(2 batches) in the oven but not covered. It did a great job of keeping the crust crispy.
Saved a little of the grease and some of the "scrunchies" as Jake calls them.

Used the leftover all purpose flour mixed with a little Dizzy Dust. Just enough to see it in the flour. Stirred in the whole milk and added more than needed so i could cook it "down". Mama always makes the gravy but I decided to make a run at and my arm hurts... (slapping myself on the back)
What's better than chicken fried chicken or frickin chicken than frickin chicken smothered in gravy and bacon bits. Jake asked where the leftover bacon was so we crumbled it up over the chicken...He's learning quickly.

What I learned.

Double dip and dredge or shake twice...much better crust.
Pound the chicken but don't get cray cray. Means crazy for those with no street cred.
Thermapen the chicken to the correct temp...tender as &^%$
Use the bacon for the grease and the topping..not like you're eating healthy anyways.
I didn't use a lot of spices but the crust and chicken spoke for itself.

This will be done on a frequent schedule. Thanks for looking.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    And healthy too!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I love you man :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    WhoWee!! That is some mighty fine lookin' frickin' chicken!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I <3 u 2 Henapple! U so cray cray, wit yo frickin' chickin' and all. All deez h8ers just be h8ing!!!!

Tx for postin'.

Wait. Did you say Street Cred or 16 year-old girl text-speech?
  • Mickey
    PS: you win man on the throw down
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Oh yeah! Good fried chicken is an art form. Express yourself.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • henapple
    This throw down has been great. It has inspired me to try new things and I'm absolutely loving the cast iron.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This looks "last meal" good.  Love, peace, and gravy made with chicken and bacon grease. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Ideal chicken frying oil temperature is supposed to be 375 degrees.  They say at "that" temperature the chicken seals the oil from entering the inside??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2013
    Ideal chicken frying oil temperature is supposed to be 375 degrees.  They say at "that" temperature the chicken seals the oil from entering the inside??
    This is true. Lower, it gets greasy. Higher, the breading burns before the innards cook. I presume Henapple's thermal mass of the PS and griddle kept the oil temp down.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    That looks frickin' great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    It did. I used the thermapen and placesetter. I also used the old method.. Drop of water to check.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Awesome cook!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This is true. Lower, it gets greasy. Higher, the breading burns before the innards cook. I presume Henapple's thermal mass of the PS and griddle kept the oil temp down.

I have a "pressure fryer" called a "broaster" and the prescribed temperature setting is set at 375 degrees, and it maintains that temperature throughout the cook.  The instructions identify that temperature that seals the chicken's breading to the skin and seals the oil from entering the chicken, so the chicken cooks in it's own juices.  This "broaster" cooks the chicken under a pressure of 13 pounds per square inch, like a pressure cooker, it cooks very fast!  It will cook eight chicken breasts in eight minutes to prefection every time!  So i figure if you can cook chicken at 375 degrees in a CI pan, the same should hold true, just take longer to cook since it isn't under pressure??

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    You can use buttermilk in place of the whole milk. I usually let my soak overnight. For an extra thick crust you can double coat the pieces. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes after the first flouring and then dip them in the buttermilk again and re-flour.

I also usually use a lid on my CI skillet when I fry chicken. This will help cook the chicken a little faster so that the skin does not over brown.

Your results, including the gravy, look really good!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    fried chicken is my worst cook, i think you may have fixed some problems im having with it
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I typically do mine differently with great results, that said, I am doing mine this way next time and will report on the results. This is by far one of the best looking fried chicken cooks I have seen. Great work!

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Man that looks amazingly good. Bravo sir.  =D>
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I picked up a six pack of PBR in Bellingham last week, (Customs let me through no duty, I'm going right to my bar and drink a toast to you! Nice cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Beautiful, man!!! I was working through the images in my head, but when you said "frickin chicken smothered in gravy and bacon bits", I blew a fuse... it sounds terrific.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Great cook how much lump consumption.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    This guy doing a very dangerous way at the Texas Fest about 2 or 3 years ago. . Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    @henapple how many pieces of bacon did you fry up and what type of oil did you use? Looks great!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    He'll yeah! Wish I had me some frickin chickin

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That looks incredible, reminds me of the way my Granny used to make fried chicken along with the gravy.
    Only thing different would she would have a giant can if crisco involved.

I always said if I get the choice of what to eat for my last dinner it would be my Grannies fried chicken or my dads Chicken Fried Steak.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    @SkinnyV... About normal for 500
    @RLeeper.. Around 5 or 6. Just piled some in there and moved it around till crispy.
  • Looks mighty tasty to me. Will have to try this myself once I get a few more cooks under my belt.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    You need to keep a defibrillator close by after eating that one. Looks like some good eats....
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Now that's my kind of cook! Look's awesome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX