Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever use lump in a kettle grill?

Options
I've been asked to prepare some cedar planked fresh grilled Atlantic salmon for a small family get together this weekend. I'd love to make it on the egg, but it's not being done at my place, and I've yet to travel with the Egg. Maybe one day. My neighbour graciously offered his cheap kettle, but I'm not a fan of the petroleum soaked briquettes he uses. Anyone see an issue using some lump in there and trying to control the airflow with the dampers on it?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I'm guessing it should work. Lump burns faster and hotter than briquettes, it may be challenging to maintain lo and slo in kettle with lump, but for cedar planked salmon you want at least 350F anyway.  Just my 2 cents which mean zilch after rounding down in our penniless world!
    canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have no experience with it, but I imagine it might be a bit of a struggle to light.  I think a chimney starter might be your best bet.  Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I gave a buddy of mine a bag of Royal Oak and he she's been using it in his Weber Kettle. Works fine.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    It works fine I could regulate my webber down to 275 all day b.e. (before egg). I did this for years. Small settings just like on the egg. Always build the fire to one side so you can regulate with a hot zone and cool zone. Also but the top vent across from the coal bank to create a draft of sorts.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Options
    A chimney is definately a good way to light lump and avoid lighter fluid. @u_tarded advice is by the book, but you can also make a pile of lump on two sides of the kettle to balance the temp. Advantage to one side opposite the vent is the draw for a low and slow with smokewood. For plank cook, I would go with two lump piles. I have had many fabulous meals off a weber, it can be done. But after having a bge, it is so much easier to get great cooks.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    A chimney is definately a good way to light lump and avoid lighter fluid. @u_tarded advice is by the book, but you can also make a pile of lump on two sides of the kettle to balance the temp. Advantage to one side opposite the vent is the draw for a low and slow with smokewood. For plank cook, I would go with two lump piles. I have had many fabulous meals off a weber, it can be done. But after having a bge, it is so much easier to get great cooks.
    good call i never planked much on mine but i did watch a lot of steve raichlen on pbs when I was a kid (don't ask but yes I was a fat kid), and he would always bank to the side for a safe zone.  i tried the dual zones and i never had as much control.  kinda makes me want to go retro and bust out the weber.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I grew up using Grove lump in a Weber, to tell the truth I had to cook some burger and brats yesterday at a remote location where a Weber was available, grabbed my chimney and a bag of Royal Oak and everyone was happy with the food.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    I just used lump charcoal in my Weber last night no problem...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    I've done it many times.  You should be fine.  The biggest problem with cooking on kettles is that the air flow is hard to control, but that shouldn't be a problem (may actually be helpful) in a plank cook.  It is hard to get most kettles above about 300 if the lid is on - even with the vents wide open. If you find that you need more heat you can put the lid on in a way that is not seated or "ajar" or offset by about an inch.  That will get more air to the fire and I've been able to get up in the 400 degree range doing this with all the vents wide open. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks!! I've learned two things; lump can work in a kettle, and I REALLY need to pick up a small Egg for reasons such as this.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have to lots on vacation. No way buying self-light stuff. Buy LUMP.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Greeno55 said:

Thanks!! I've learned two things; lump can work in a kettle, and I REALLY need to pick up a small Egg for reasons such as this.

Really should have on glasses when picking out a picture.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Dammit @Mickey you may have just cost me several hundred dollars with that picture.
  • Mickey
    Options

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    We use RO lump in a Weber kettle every year when we go fishing in Canada.  It works just fine, less clean up and you can re-use it just like in the egg.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE