Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Q on how charcoal burns?

Being pretty new to the Egg, one question has come up from my husband about the way the charcoal is burning.  Our last cook was ribs and today we are doing the same, they turned out awesome using Car Wash Mike's technique.  During clean up hubby noticed the white ash mostly on the back side of the Egg, with more of dark lump next to the front opening.  He is wondering how to get his charcoal to burn more evenly.  Is this normal?  He has been stacking lump large on bottom to small on top and trying to keep it on a level keel before starting it.  Before putting in plate setter, he moves the hot coals around to distribute evenly.  Any suggestions and thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    This is normal. The back of the egg is hotter than the front. It is only a minor issue when trying to grill massive amounts of meat at high temps.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    This is normal. The back of the egg is hotter than the front. It is only a minor issue when trying to grill massive amounts of meat at high temps.
    TY, I appreciate your comment.  He thought he was doing something wrong to make it burn uneven.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    All good info above-thus if cooking indirect always place a leg of the platesetter at about the 12:30 position when facing the back.  Helps reduce the "hot spot". The air-flow stream is slightly off-set from dead-center and that is what contributes.  No worries-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Yeah, for some reason the airflow tends to go to the back.  On the XL it's the same way, but can end up in a corner since the bottom of the firebox is 17" in diameter.  Low and slow can result in some odd ball burns if the fire grate gets clogged.  The air will snake it's way through somewhere and you'll have charcoal that looks like it's fresh out of the bag.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Excellent advice above, start your fire at the front on the top. Drop in the setter with a leg to the rear (lets you route your Mav probe over either front leg of the setter. 
    The rear is slightly hotter, which is why if cooking a parted chicken, put the legs/thighs to the rear, the breasts to the center. Also for a spatched bird, drop it on with legs to the rear. 
    I don't sort my lump, I'm a dumper. Many folks swear by large to the bottom, finer pieces on the top, especially with an BGE grate.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

The rear is slightly hotter

I call this this the "kardashian factor". =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Try just dumping your lump from the bag into the egg. Stacking and sorting has made no real difference in my eggs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    IMO, the back is always hotter, or more heat flow.  Since I don't use a placesetter, just stones and drip pans w/ spacers, I found that if i cover the stone or pan w/ alum foil, leaving an "ear" at the back (12:00) position, it limits the hot spot.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    Sorry I did not get back to read these great suggestions until now.  Thanks so much and we will heed them today as this is our first cook since I posted the discussion.  Our holiday weekend meats stayed in the fridge due to in climate weather (storms, winds, rain, flooding).  Still trying to master fair weather cooks.
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    Im No Where As Expierienced As Most On Here, But I Just Light It In The Center And Let The Fire Spread By ItselfF.
    Rowlett, Texas