Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Pulled Pork in my BGE - Added Stats

quacker
quacker Posts: 10
After seeing everyone post these awesome photos of pulled pork I thought I should have a go myself.
So up I got early morning and placed the pork that I had prepared late the night before into my egg.

I then remembered that I needed a drip tray, rookie mistake... 

With the spare time I thought "why not make up an Excel spread sheet and plot this cook".  

As you can see It hit the stall and I had a bit of a brain fart and opened the vents a little, this caused a steep rise in temp.  At this stage hunger had set in so I wasn't fussed about controlling it to much.

This was the final product, for my first attempt I must say I am very happy with the end result.

I am still a little unsure on the smoking process, I was worried about it this time as I have had a chicken turn out with a slight bitter taste and was not sure what happened.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great quacker! 

Don't worry about temp fluctuations.  The mean amount of heat sets, in general, the cooking rate. 

One thing I want to point out to anyone reading this - it takes a certain amount of time, and you can see what this is in your smoker's graph, to affect the outside temp, and have that translate to a change in the center temp (assuming you had the probe in the coolest part of the butt).  There's a lag, and that lag also impacts the rise (amount of time it takes for heat to transfer from the cooking outside edge to the center of the roast). You're heating a massive mass and it moves slow. 

So little rises and fluctuations in temp have a negligible, but slow effect on the internal temp and time to doneness.

Quaker, just began our first attempt at a butt.  I have been perusing through the posts on the subject in this forum and find so much good advice here.  I did want to comment on your graph and observation chart - find it very helpful and will be running a comparison today as we go.  We put it on about 10 min. ago and (7:15am) and grate temp is 226 now with meat @ 46.  We have also read from those who are seasoned on the subject to be patient and expect the stall ... hope to be able to remember those wise words when the time arrives.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Looks great to me. I love the turbo method myself. But low and slows are fun too. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    This 4.7 lb butt took 12 hours. Would a 10 pound one take considerably more time on the BGE? On my gasser, it's taken about 14 to 16 hours. I would assume it would be the same in a BGE.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Terrebandit each piece of meat is different and it also depends on how you monitor the cook.  If you have a way to monitor the temperature of the meat without having to open the Egg that helps a lot.  I did a 9 pound but low and slow for about 12 hours last weekend and it was fabulous. When you are cooking below 300 degrees indirect you up the cooking time anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes every time you open the grill.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Very good. What temp do you recommend? I want to go low and slow and won't open the lid. I have a temp monitor. Would like to do 12 to 14 hrs, if possible. Obviously it will be done when it done. About 203 internal temp. This is my first attempt with the bGE
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Good post. Did you have to add charcoal during the cooking process? If so, how much, when, and how did you add it?