Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I cook turbo ribs?

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I have had NO luck in cooking robs on the egg yet.  Always dry and not tender and that is cooking at 250-275 for 5+ hours.

So in my last attempt at ribs before never cooking them again - I have a few racks of baby backs in the freezer.  Two of the racks are already rubbed from a previous attempt that I did not have time to cook.  I am thinking of cooking these ribs turbo style this weekend.  Are this something that can be cooked in ~ 3 hours? 

How do I do it?

When should I pull then from the freezer for Sunday afternoon cook?

My guess is - 350 Dome - bone side up for an hour than flip over for an hour than foil for an hour?  Will this work?  What should I change?  Will they be dry from being already rubbed sat in the fridge for a few 4-5 hours then vacu-sealed and frozen?  Or do they have to be basted/sprayed constantly or chuck the robs away and cook something else?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would go with something like this:

If you want to make sure they are done, then I don't think it would be a problem to bump the temp up to 350 dome instead of 325.

Quick summary:
    Egg at 325-350 dome
    1.5 in the egg (bone side down or in a rib rack)
    1 hour in foil with some apple juice
    back on the grill to sauce (15-20 minutes). 

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't worry about flipping them until the last stage.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Rob, I have no luck cooking myself either.  :D

350 dome sounds good. The ribs will be fine. Defrost and stick them on for around 90-100 minutes until a toothpick passes "like buttah" between the bones. I typically keep my baby backs rubbed overnight and the only problem was awesome flavor(wait, that's not a problem...)

Get the egg stabilized with your wood of choice(I use Hickory and/or Apple). I have had success many times. The only time I don't turbo is when I use the Car Wash Mike method.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Do you think I should pull them out of the freezer and into the fridge tonight for Sunday or tomorrow sometime?

Garnerville, NY
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Enter @Mickey...
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    SmokeyPitt has it the way I do them also.  Last rib cook I used cherry wood and really liked the flavor it added.  I'd get the ribs out today for a Sunday PM cook.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Do you think I should pull them out of the freezer and into the fridge tonight for Sunday or tomorrow sometime?
    I would pull them out tonight.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    ok - Thanks guys.

Garnerville, NY
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I usually go without foil on my turbo ribs. 350 F dome for approx. 3 hours until temp is around 200 then I do the bend test before taking them off.

Only if I need to re-heat is when I spray with apple juice and oil.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm wondering if they are dry because you're cooking them too long. I did my last batch 275* grate for three hours. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    Options
    When I cooked them for ~ 5 hours the bones were barely showing.  When I used to cook them on the :gasser" the bones were ~ 1/2 exposed on each end

Garnerville, NY
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    "No pull back" on the bones seems to say you are not getting enough heat on them.  Have you checked your thermometer? 
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    I would go with something like this:

I can attest that this works like a champ.  Just used this method this weekend and they were the best ribs ive made by far.
    If you want to make sure they are done, then I don't think it would be a problem to bump the temp up to 350 dome instead of 325.

Quick summary:
    Egg at 325-350 dome
    1.5 in the egg (bone side down or in a rib rack)
    1 hour in foil with some apple juice
    back on the grill to sauce (15-20 minutes). 

Just my $.02, but I wouldn't worry about flipping them until the last stage.

• BigGreenHead
    Options
    when people say dome temp what is that? is that the temp on the thermometer?

"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    It's the temp on the dome thermometer.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    when people say dome temp what is that? is that the temp on the thermometer?

yep.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Now, it sounds like its dry because its not cooked enough before you took it off. I left some of my ribs one time (fall asleep mid-cook) for 5 hours at 350 dome temp and its not very dry (granted I spray with apple juice after I took it off) but it should apply to your situation as well.

• robnybbq
    Options
    Will try on Sunday.  Hoping for a 3 hour cook or take out will be ordered again.

Garnerville, NY
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Rob, first you didn't specify what type you failed on. 
    You really should have meat pulled back, and get a toothpick\bamboo skewer. Stick it between the bones. Should go in and out with no resistance, Just like with a butt. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    All baby back ribs I have tried on the Egg.  The bones pulled out when I bent the ribs but they were dry. Tried 3 times already.  I even used the maverick twice to verify temp was 250-275.

I can cook pork buts/brisket - no problem - Ribs are my nemesis.

Garnerville, NY
  • MontanaBBQ
    MontanaBBQ Posts: 8
    Options
    Something else to consider is the size of the babybacks themselves. I've seen racks of babybacks ranging from one pound (too small) to just shy of four pounds (just about right). I cook mine exclusively turbo method and have never once had a dry rib. Don't give up on the quest for the perfect rack of ribs! Once you get it dialed in to your preference, you will scold yourself for ever thinking about swearing them off! 
  • BigGreenHead
    Options
    @smokeypitt....let me get this straight..turbo style...dome temp 300-350 for 1.5 hrs bone side down..then foil wit apple juice for one hour...then back on the grill at same temp for 20min..thats turbo style? ..
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    I tried to maintain 325 , went 1.5 hours then foiled for an hour, then basted twice in 40 minutes.  Best baby backs yet.
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @smokeypitt....let me get this straight..turbo style...dome temp 300-350 for 1.5 hrs bone side down..then foil wit apple juice for one hour...then back on the grill at same temp for 20min..thats turbo style? ..
    I guess "turbo" is relative:).  It's turbo compared a 250 degree egg for 5-6 hours. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is the way I do them: Turbo Baby Back Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mickey said:

This is the way I do them:

Turbo Baby Back Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub

Mickey, I don't know where I got it from either. I believe it was a guy named Mickey. ;)
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Getting ready to cook these in the pouring rain today. Thu shouldn't be dry then as I won't be.

Which is it? 1hr 40 min @ 350 or 1hr 40 min then foil for 1 hour?

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I put them on for that time until they pass the aforementioned tests. No foil. Sauce at the end if you would like (last 15 min).
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Direct or indirect?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    GQuiz said:

Direct or indirect?

Indirect
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Well I tried them yesterday and I am done with pork Ribs.  Cooked them at 350 for 2 hours - bones we showing a little - thermopen was showing 200 on the rib meat.  bend test and some bones pulled out.  But still dry.  I do not get it.  I am guessing getting lucky in the past on the gasser with mopping every 20 minutes makes that much of a difference.

I can cook steaks, pork butts, brisket, pork loins, spatchcock chicken, chilli no problem. 

Ribs and chicken breasts are the enemy.  Done with them.

Garnerville, NY