Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2013 EggHead Forum Rub & Sauce Exchange

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum

We can modify the terms as we go, but sign up if you're down and share some of your favorite rubs & sauces.  So far, this is what we have:
  • $25 limit
  • Care packages should be shipped by June 28th so everyone receives it for July 4th cooks.
  • New rubs and sauces only please
  • Try to think outside of the box and pick local or unique products.
  • The majority of us have and love DP, so try to avoid it.
Suggestions or changes, please let me know!
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    This is a great idea!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    This is a great idea!!
    Yep!  LS is the mastermind behind the exchange, and MCN awkwardly suggested we swap rub.  

Here we are   :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    cazzy said:
    This is a great idea!!
    Yep!  LS is the mastermind behind the exchange, and MCN awkwardly suggested we swap rub.  

Here we are   :)
    What kind of rub did MCN suggest?
    :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013
    Options

Well I posted this to find out how it works, but got a welcome email from them and it explained the MO.

Anyway, am in.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'm in! And promise to keep my gifts edible!

Should we note it needs to be bought not homemade?

XLBGE 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I'm in!  I have no idea what I'm going to give, but that's the fun of it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Options
    If know people out there make some great rubs and have spent a ton of time perfecting, so I would say that falls under the unique category.

My opinion is sure, but please seal the rub somehow. Mason jar?

If you would like to allow homemade rub from perfected recipes (ie I don't want to be your guinea pig), please agree with this post. If not, disagree.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable putting something in my mouth from MCN knowing where his hand has been. Heh, heh, heh! Just funning you brother!
    I think it's best to eliminate problems and this is an area that can create a bad one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    This is an awesome idea.. I'm new to the forums but we have a local BBQ joint whose sauce I really enjoy and I'd love to pass it on!
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    I have a sauce that is my favorite off the shelf.  It is made in Atlanta but is available all over the southeast.  Is that something that should or should not be sent in this care package?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    In in.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I'm so in.  

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    r270ba said:
    I have a sauce that is my favorite off the shelf.  It is made in Atlanta but is available all over the southeast.  Is that something that should or should not be sent in this care package?
    I think if you your recipient is not in the southeast it would still work fine.  Looks like you can click on each persons profile to get their mailing address.  I think elfster just assigns the recipients randomly...I wonder if it is possible to ask for a new recipient?  It would be nice if we were sending stuff in other parts of the country for this reason. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Let me see if I can find anything locally that is not mass produced.  Not much around here.  If I find something I would love to join this because you can never have too much rub.

Garnerville, NY
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Unfortunately, the other site has done this for some time and a number of people have been burned. Gave a gift and received nothing from their elf. Plus it wouldn't be right to be able to change your elf because people would change it until they got someone they want. Makes no sense.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Aw Trevor, they wouldn't let you play and now you're making stuff up. Sad really

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yep you got me pegged. Don't take my word for it, search the other site about it. :))
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I'm in.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Is Johnny's seasoning salt available everywhere? I think it is in the NW only
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you have food issues (diabetes or allergies), put that in your elf profile. For example, Wilma is allergic to MSG.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @fletcherfam I know I used to be able to get it but will admit haven't looked for it in a while.  I'm in the midwest.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm in... I'm not trading rubs with any of you. Mixed spices and herbs, yes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @fred19flintsone

That is a great note and very important.

@chrisnjenn

Appreciate the warning, I think we all understand the risk of freely sending gifts to someone we don't know with a promise from a Internet forum.

Please leave the other forum out of it. We don't want the dark side tainted.

XLBGE 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'm in.  Never done this through Elfster before.  At what point does the system assign our "elves"?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm in... I'm not trading rubs with any of you. Mixed spices and herbs, yes.
    So you won't be accepting backrubs in place of a 6 pack when you deliver lump?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Is Johnny's seasoning salt available everywhere? I think it is in the NW only
    I can get the Garlic Spread seasoning and Jamaica Me Crazy via my good friend, Costco.

I've never had the seasoning salt.
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Options
    Great idea. I'm going to participate.
    Go Hogs Go
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I'm in.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.