Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook with HiQue Grate

Thanks to an awesome forum member, and human being, I am the proud new owner of a HiQue grate. I promised that I would post pics and a report of my first cook. Firstly, this thing is everything that I had hoped that it would be!! My light time was cut roughly in half. I chose to do a NY Strip using the TREX method. I also added some DP cowlick. YUM!! I forgot initially to put on EVOO, but during the rest I went ahead and added it. It was very delicious!! To the kind person who helped me out, many many thanks. I will be sure to pay it forward!!
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Wow! That's all I got...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That grate in your firebox brings a tear to my eye. ;)

Beautiful steak!
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Great job on the steak.  I love my new grate too.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    I LOVE that grate....tons of benefits, no downsides that I can think of.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2013
    I had the same results with the grate. Steaks look good too!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome! Nicely done =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    HIgh-Q's all around, love them!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    They have sure helped the consistency of my cooks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    EDIT FOR PG:

I must log off of the www.eggheadforum.com soon or I will be forced to go outside on my porch and light charcoal in my egg and cook some food because that amazing picture of steak is making me oh so hungry

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

If I dont get off soon tonight, i will have to light my eygg! That last picture is making my mouth drool.  great looking mac and cheese as well as a perfect steak!!

Might rephrase that first sentence...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    henapple said:
    If I dont get off soon tonight, i will have to light my eygg! That last picture is making my mouth drool.  great looking mac and cheese as well as a perfect steak!!
    Might rephrase that first sentence...

8-}  oh gracious

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great looking steaks. 
    Isn't it amazing when we get excited about a simple charcoal grate, rather than the BGE thingy with holes in it. Love my High-Q... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @skiddymarker... Love the avatar. Tennessee tp holder.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Beautiful steak.  that looks amazing!

Large BGE

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Does the grate also work for low and slows or mostly high temp cooks?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Does the grate also work for low and slows or mostly high temp cooks?
    @WiltOnTilt Actually, maybe just the opposite. I bought it for low and slows, my BGE grate works fine for higher temps. 
    For low and slows, I found the holes in the MBGE grate tend to clog and because the fire is small, temps were not consistent unless you stick a wiggle rod in the bottom and make sure air can flow. This is not an issue with the High-Q. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Thanks, that is the opposite of what I guessed but it makes sense when you explain it that way.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    +1 with Skiddymarker. I didn't like the idea of fire going out on an overnight. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Thank you all for the very kind compliments!! The BGE has been an absolute game changer in my cooking ability, and I know I haven't even scratched the surface!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    nice meat!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Dude you did good. If you check my older posts here, I was a purist and eggin for the mothership. Now I am a convert and a rebel. Both my eggs have it and there is no other way.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    This steak looks incredible! Excuse my naivety, but what's the deal with this grate? Do I need one?
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Jamieoro said:
    This steak looks incredible! Excuse my naivety, but what's the deal with this grate? Do I need one?

Thank you Jamie! Welcome to the forum (even though I am very new myself!!). The HiQue is an eggcellent eggcessory!! If you notice the first picture, you will notice that there is quite a bit of space between the grate bars. The benefit of this over the egg grate is that it is much less likely that the lump will become lodged and clog up the grate. Since with the HiQue your grate is not clogged, there is greater airflow so your start up time is cut in half, and there is a reduced risk of your fire going out for low and slow cooks. I hope that helps. Happy egging!
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Been using the Hi-Que grate for +/- 2 years.  Great on response time, no clogging for hi/low temp cooks, have had no issues.  My only "wish" is that the grate would seat in the egg, and not move or roll when I am cleaning out the ash while trying to keep the reusable lump charcoal.  Maybe a tapered edge to match the Egg profile, instead of the round edge will work..  Methinks I will try grinding that edge.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I love mine. Sure beats the old drain cover.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    I'm gonna +1 it as well. Faster high temps, and more consistent low and slow, and less worry about clogged holes IME
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Where did you get your HiQue grate? Price?
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • tazcrash
    Found mine on Amazon, and as a prime member, no shipping! ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    tazcrash said:
    Found mine on Amazon, and as a prime member, no shipping! ;)

@tazcrash How did you pick it up if they don't ship? Sorry was just too easy and had to say something there
    :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited May 2013
    I did a 16 hour, low n slow pork butt last weekend with a HiQue grate and still have lump left for a few more cooks. It works no matter the style of cook. It's a great grate. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX