Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for stuffed burgers

Finally decided to try burgers on the EGG for the first time either tonight or tomorrow night....I've seen lots of discussion in various threads about burgers, but interested in advice/thoughts about how to make a great stuffed burger.  I was thinking about using a press and stuffing with mozzarella and tomato.  I like to grill burgers to medium, and I'm wondering how the stuffing affects temperature readings.  Any other advice/suggestion about how to make them great is appreciated.  Thanks....

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Kind of like stuffing pork tenderloin -- burgers cook fast, so anything requiring "being cooked" better be cooked "before" it goes inside.  Cheese is not problem, but veggies are going to be close to raw -- if you are shooting for a medium burger..
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Charlie pretty much sumed it up. of couse you could cook them indirect then go direct for the final sear. just a thought. but at medium not much time to cook inside stuff. please tell how it goes
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I sometimes do them with cheese and thinly sliced onion.  Make sure the edges are well sealed so the goodies don't ooze out.  Kinda like a Lucy burger from somewhere up north.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Doc is the Juicy Lucy "eggspert", well at least the only one I've seen pics of his burgers that did not look like the inside was alive and trying to escape like an Alien baby. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the tomato and mozz sounds pretty good.  I agree with the others, that you don't want something that needs to cook a long time; but 'mater doesn't need to cook long so I think it might work :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited May 2013

I went through a phase a while back where I was doing them a lot. Tough to get medium rare. Better to buy fattier meat or freeze first

Two slices of provolone, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, little fishes, Bomba, red onion and torn basil. Forgot the capers and didn't have any procuitto.

On the medium with cast iron grid

Cooked, with toasted bun

First time I had a cut pic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Little Steven = Big Yum.

I need to give these a try.
  • Little Steven
    edited May 2013

I'm just copying old posts from the other forum here but you can do a ton of varieties

Two slices of provolone, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, little fishes, Bomba, red onion and torn basil. Forgot the capers and didn't have any procuito.

On the medium with cast iron grid

Cooked, with toasted bun

First time I had a cut pic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks great, very good combination of filling.
  • Little Steven

Last one, I promise

Can't help myself. Tonight it was Mexican style beef and turkey burgers.
    One beef
    One Turkey

Turkey isn't done yet. Will post if anybody is interested

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Dear Steven, my feelings can best be expressed by the musical group Jagged Edge. Here is a LINK 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven

Only if you show them to me. Do you love your country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwmIuuQZzU

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Damn - those look really good. If I can do half as well the first time out I'll be psyched. No time tonight, but hopefully tomorrow. @Little Steven - notice no burger press. Have you tried one? Just as easy to do without? Any tips for getting such a nice patty? Thanks all...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I saute bellas, onions then put feta cheese in. Freezing the beef for a while sounds like a plan.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I've always froze my patties after stuffing in hopes of sealing them up better.   But I don't stuff them with all those goodies just cheese for me :)   
    Large BGE

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    I use a press that I got from Amazon. It works well. I have found that the colder the ground beef, the easier it is to handle and not stick in the press. I have also found that the cheese needs to be more chunky than grated. When it's grated, it just kinda disappears into the meat. Don't have any pictures, but will take some the next time I do burgers. I cook at 400 direct about 5 minutes per side. Here's the link to the press.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC