Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunks

At what point do you stop adding wood chunks or chips to the lump?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Light the lump in only one place, at the front on the top. Spread your smoke wood throughout the lump and it will smoke for a long time - hours. IMHO the meat only take on the smoke for an hour or two. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    shtgunal3 said:
    I only add at the beginning of the cook

+1
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you mix them or spread them out when loading you shouldn't have
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I've read that meat stops taking on smoke color when the internal meat temp gets around 140 degrees.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Time for a refresher on meat and smoke flavor.  The smoke RING stops forming at 140 degrees.  This is the red coloring that forms at the edge of the meat.  The chemical reaction that forms the coloring can no longer occur above 140 degrees.  The smoke RING has nothing to do with smoke FLAVOR.

Smoke flavor is caused by smoke particles wihich are deposited on the surface of the meat.  As long as you have smoke present in the cooking chamber, you will be adding smoke flavor to the meat, no matter what the meat's temperature is.

If you would like confirmation, consult Harold McGee's book, "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen."
    The Naked Whiz
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    edited May 2013
    @The Naked Whiz I'm assuming you've read the rest of that book.  What your opinion on it?  Sounds like something that's right up my alley as I enjoy the science of cooking as much as actually cooking!

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @dpittard Congrats on becoming an Egghead.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

dpittard said:
    @The Naked Whiz I'm assuming you've read the rest of that book.  What your opinion on it?  Sounds like something that's right up my alley as I enjoy the science of cooking as much as actually cooking!
    I've used it more as a reference book than as a reading book.  But lots and lots of interesting stuff in there.  A lot is pretty technical, but you can get a lot from it.  I mean, can Alton Brown be wrong? :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    @JRWhitee Thanks!  This weekend can't come fast enough!

@ The Naken Whiz Father Brown cannot go wrong!  Thanks for the quick review as well.  I'll definitely look into it.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.