Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What am I doing wrong? The fire grate keeps clogging.

I have tried several different brands of lump.  I have tried the fire grate with the small side up and the large side up.  It seems after a couple of cooks the grate clogs and I have to get my wife's hair dryer out to get any kind of heat out of the egg.  Needless to say my wife is not a fan of this and a lot of times we it means we are eating late or are going to be late where ever we go.

What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing to prevent the grate from clogging?  I have tried sorting and dumping lump.

JD

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do you stir the used lump before you add more?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    Have you tried giving the egg a good cleaning with a shop-vac?
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    When you start your fire, is your bottom and top vents wide open? I know it sounds obvious, but i had a friend who could not get his egg above 200 F. Turns out, his top vent was not opening to its fullest-the lifting ring was preventing from opening all the way. Other then that, assuming your lump is dry, when is the last time that you cleaned the ash out?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Get a High-Que fire grate. It will never clog up again.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Recently I've been setting my XL up with an area in the front (just above the lower vent opening) that's free from lump. This basically assures I'm going to get air flow throughout the cook and gives me an area right in from where I can manipulate the food if needed with no flame, even in a direct set up. It does mean I have slightly less lump in at any time and possibly a spot that's not great for direct cooking, but that's rarely a problem with the XL. 

Give it a try, could help solve a problem for you. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Recently I've been setting my XL up with an area in the front (just above the lower vent opening) that's free from lump. This basically assures I'm going to get air flow throughout the cook and gives me an area right in from where I can manipulate the food if needed with no flame, even in a direct set up. It does mean I have slightly less lump in at any time and possibly a spot that's not great for direct cooking, but that's rarely a problem with the XL. 

Give it a try, could help solve a problem for you. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    + 1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    stir the lump before lighting, remove ash thru the lower vent. newbie mistake is opening the daisy at startup...........remove daisy and put it on the table, bottom vent wide open
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • apphunter
    apphunter Posts: 17
    Yes both vents are wide open. I dont stir my lump prior to cooking and I do periodically clean up the ash.

I'll try stirring and leaving a space
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    bud812 said:
    Get a High-Que fire grate. It will never clog up again.
    This is the best answer.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use gloves and stir the ash till it falls through... +1 on opening the bottom vent
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggersRUs
    EggersRUs Posts: 38
    I am using a Kamado Joe, most accesories are interchangeable - but grates are just enough different to not work interchangeably.

I wish I could use the High-que bill refers to, is made for a BGE. Comes close, but doesn't quite fit the Kamado Joe.

So, went to local Ace hardware bought for $10 or so, Weber replacement charcoal grate. Not as heavily made as the High-que, mine is warping but still working after 7 or 8 months,

Means a huge difference to air flow, Get the high- que, you will be glad you did. Get that and a weed burner from Harbor Freight and you will be enjoying your egg instead of hassling with it.

in another thread
    BillPinNC said:
    I suggest you invest in the replacement charcoal fire grate sold by High Que, it really improves airflow resulting in faster lighting. The Mapp Torch is easy and fast also, combined with the new grate and you will cut down your start up time. http://www.high-que.com/

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    stir the lump before lighting, remove ash thru the lower vent. newbie mistake is opening the daisy at startup...........remove daisy and put it on the table, bottom vent wide open
    +1 on daisy completely off until desired temp.  Also...might be overkill, but I stir the old lump, allow all the ash to dump down to the bottom, and clean out with the ash tool before every cook.  Only takes about 3-5 mins and means that I never have to worry about getting a good fire going. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm ordering the hique for fd.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN