Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

out of starter!

i ran out of bge starter cubes, i was wondering ig there is any other way to start the lump. my dealer is closed on sundays. ive heard paper towels soaked with veggie oil,(how do u do that?and can u use olive oil?) and i do have a small propane torch(how do u do that?) and i have a heat gun. thanks!! happy mothers day to all moms!!!

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I know peeps use rubbing alcohol paper towels.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Veggie oil will work. Let it rip!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Don't soak it. Drizzle it in a few small places. Bunch it up. Light it. Set in center in a small hole. Pyramid some charcoal over it. Leave lid open for 5 mins.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Yep. Oil and paper towel works. I had to do it once when I ran out of lighters. I always liked the lighters until someone bought me the electric starter as a present. Now I use it every time. No sense in buying the lighters.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2013
     I always liked the lighters until someone bought me the electric starter as a present. Now I use it every time. No sense in buying the lighters.
    Yup. Once you go electric, you never go back! Cheapest and easiest.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Forget it, man. Step up to the weed burner blow torch method. Fun and effective. I burned weeds in my driveway today so its multi-tasking capabilities is impressive.
    Flint, Michigan
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    thanks everyone!!!!! looking into the electric starter. mother inlaw works at the dealer and said they been having problems with the bge brand!l 3:-O
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    daffy1909 said:

thanks everyone!!!!! looking into the electric starter. mother inlaw works at the dealer and said they been having problems with the bge brand!l 3:-O

Electric starters are for Mary's like Little Steven.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2013

daffy1909 said:
    mother inlaw works at the dealer and said they been having problems with the bge brand!l 3:-O
    $8 bucks at any big box store.  Brand makes no difference.  It'll last you for years...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have used oil and napkin for a year. Cheap and hot fast
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

All I use is the Benzo torch method.....hold the torch down in the lump at approx 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock for 45 seconds to a minute in each spot.  Usually ready to cook in 10-15 minutes.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Chubbs said:

I've been using oil and napkins for years... I don't feel cheap.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Oil and napkin are not being cheap, they're frugal. I've used this method as Chubbs says for a year. Best way for me.
    Mini should be here Thursday.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I use paper towel with bacon fat. I find it works better then oil
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The thing I like about electrics is you can get away from the egg and the nasty smoke for 8 minutes while it ignites. Maverick timer is ideal to remind me the starter is in the egg. During a power failure, oiled paper towel is ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    All electric starters are definitely not the same. The cheap ones are just that, cheap. Also the BGE model has an offset handle which protects against being burnt up if not closely attended. You will buy 3-4 cheap starters to one BGE model.
  • meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Canola oil and paper towel is the only way to go. Why bother with anything else when you already have this at home? I bought an over priced Looft lighter and have never used it.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I use a looflighter. I love it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    I like the BGE electric starter and use it when I can. But with a wooden deck, small children running around, and pets, I don't have a good place to cool it off it after lighting.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I just purchased a bernzomatic ts4000 torch and can't wait to try it out? Here in Canada mapp gas isn't available anymore (not in Newfoundland anyway) and map/pro has replaced it not sure how this compares to propane tho or if its worth the extra cash over propane.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • I like the BGE electric starter and use it when I can. But with a wooden deck, small children running around, and pets, I don't have a good place to cool it off it after lighting.

I have the same problem. I still use it though. I usually sit it on top of the railing until it cools off. Usually takes about 5-10 mins.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Just use your propane torch and light it in two spots. Thats what I use when I travel with my small egg. I have a looftlighter that I use at my house. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    IrishDevl said:
    Electric starters are for Mary's like Little Steven.
    Just so you know I prefer Sally

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    henapple said:

Chubbs said:

I've been using oil and napkins for years... I don't feel cheap.
    How did everyone miss this..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you liked the starter cubes get the Rutland brand starter cubes on amazon. You get 144 for $13 and they are the same as BGE.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    All electric starters are definitely not the same. The cheap ones are just that, cheap. Also the BGE model has an offset handle which protects against being burnt up if not closely attended. You will buy 3-4 cheap starters to one BGE model.
    Understand what you are saying and agree you must not leave them on too long, however, I have a 3 year old OMC that was $12. It is not an offset. I light at the front on the top, only a few pieces of lump on the coils and remove the starter after 8 minutes. 
    I have seen some folks bury the coil to the grate level and then wonder why the handle melts as the flames are jumping to the felt line. Key, light at the front on the top.
    Friend has the Grill Dome offset, it is more $$$ than the BGE starter but works very well. If my old OMC ever quits will get one. 
    @henapple - not missed, it wasn't wasted - trust me. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    My $8 electric works great but the weed burner is much quicker and so much fun.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Weed burner for the large and paper towels and oil for the mini. I tear off a few paper towels and twist them up, stuff them in a zip lock bag and pour some oil in. Take one out as needed, replenish when you start getting low. I've been using up the last of my canola oil since I no longer cook with it (switched to olive oil, coconut oil, butter or bacon grease).

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84

I use an old charcoal chimney on a paver to hold the bge electric starter after I unplug it. It stands up inside the chimney and cools off pretty quickly, and protects the element from direct contact with other objects while cooling.

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    I use a duraflame log cut into small pieces and use to light my charcoal. Works great. I have also uses paper towels and cooking oil.