Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me loves wings on the Egg but...............

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

So I have a LGBE and love it. I love pork butts and wings are my faves.

Here is the but..............

I have a platesetter and do the 30-20-10 method for wings. I can only cook about 2 dozen wings on the grill, because if I go close to the sides of the platesetter between the legs my wings burn. I cook at 400 obviously indirect. Does anyone else have this problem?Should I tried to deflect the gaps with tinfoil but that didn't work. Should I get some fire bricks and cover the openings?

I did just purchase the 3 tier grill from BGE, but I don't think that will alleviate my issue. Am I wrong? Should I be raising the grill up to gasket level?

Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    What's the 30-20-10 method? I did wings for the first time earlier this week and just cooked them indirect for an hour and a half or so. Sauced for the last 30 min. I had the same issue with the wings burning a little if they were to close to the edge. I just kept rotating them. They turned out great!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Raised direct at 400 until done - IMO the only way to go. I do them about every other week cause the wife can't get enough of them.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    cook for 30-turn for another 20-sauce and grill for 10. I tried this method the first time I did wings and loved them. I got the method from here.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Raised direct at 400 until done - IMO the only way to go. I do them about every other week cause the wife can't get enough of them.

I don't have a raised grid but I am in the process of getting some fire bricks from my brother to raise it up. Will bringing the grid up a whopping 2" make such a difference on them not burning from the platesetter openings?
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Again, IMO ditch the placesetter altogether for this. Just raise your grid to the felt line and go direct at 400. Flip 2 or 3 times to keep them from burning. Then sauce and do another 5 min or so per side. This works extremely well for me.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Marinate overnight, indirect, raised grid at 400 for 30 minutes.  Nothing more complicated needed.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Any particular reason you went with 3-tier from bge?

I cook mine around 350 indirect and never flip. Around 1 hour. Then off to sauce and back on for 5-10 min a little more like smoking them.

I have a woo extender and raised direct just requires more attention and some flippong

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    By 2 dozen do you mean 24 full wings, drummer+flapper+tip?

I use a drip pan (dollar store pizza pan covered with foil) that just fits inside of my legs up setter when doing wings indirect, 300-325 using the 30/20/10. Can pile quite a few on (30 pieces on a MBGE) providing the drummers and flappers are separate and we don't do the tips (they're boiled for broth). 
    Raised direct cooks in less time and also works - but if you have some hot spots you will get some charring. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited May 2013
    Options

I am a big fan of the above mentioned 30-20-10 wing cook.  Here's the link to the creator-read on:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/ go to the recipes section.  That said, I run raised grid,(about 2" above the felt line) direct with any wing cook, around 350*F on the dome.. . 30 or so wings (defined as drumettes or flappers) at that height-LBGE.  Could power more but...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.