Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyboby have experience with a lump reducing ring for the XL?

Just placed an order for an XL to go with my medium.  Saw this on Ebay and was curious to your thoughts on the following product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charcoal-Ring-for-use-in-XL-Big-Green-Egg-/230880369895?pt=Barbecues_Grills_Smokers&hash=item35c18adce7#ht_25wt_1170

Should I only use it on direct cooks?  Remove it on low and slow?  Is it even worth it? As always, I appreciate any thoughts or comments you guys/girls could provide.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I have an XL, and for small cooks I simply stack the lump in the middle in a pyramid shape. Never found a need to purchase the ring.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    no experience what so ever, but why not get some bricks to partition the firebox if you feel a need to reduce lump usage? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    tazcrash said:

no experience what so ever, but why not get some bricks to partition the firebox if you feel a need to reduce lump usage? 

This is what I do. 2 bricks. Works great
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The inner diameter of the XL BGE fire ring is 21".  That reducing ring is 17.5".  What are you gaining by spending $50 to reduce the diameter by 3.5"?

With or without a reducing ring, you still need to heat up the entire Egg.  You're not saving any charcoal.

Then it only sits 3-4" high......with that minimal amount of charcoal, you do not have to be worried about clogging the grate or firebox holes.  There is more than enough air to feed that little amount of charcoal.

I do not understand the concept at all.  But if there is still some reason to do something like this, just use a few fire bricks in the firebox.

• Shipped for $55? WOW! Go to a scrap yard and get someone to cut you that grate then weld it together.. Probably cost you about $15 or so..
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • stlcharcoal

One upgrade for your new XL--a new firegrate.  A $9 Weber 18" cooking grid from Home Depot or Lowes drops right in and replaces BGE's cast iron one.  If you have problems with lump falling through, buy two, sandwich them together at a 90 degree angle to form your own cross hatching.  Best upgrade yet, and CHEAP.

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I use my lump reducing ring for 80% of my cooks, both direct and indirect. I feel I use less lump with it, especially for high temp cook such as pizza or steak. Also provides for 2 heat zones witch is useful. For low and slow, I do not use it so I can cook longer. 

Why not get the one from Ceramic grill store?

Quebec - Canada
  • Smokin_Good
    Smokin_Good Posts: 80

I didn't think the ring was worth it. I got these and use them almost every time I am grilling direct.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/ang-l-brackets-pair-xl/ 

XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have one of similar size. It's a prototype that Tom made.

I have not taken it out in 6 months. I'll say that again so it sinks in.

I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT OUT IN 6 months.

It makes the xl superior in every way that counts. I've gotten 18 hrs of cooking out of one load.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I have one of similar size. It's a prototype that Tom made. I have not taken it out in 6 months. I'll say that again so it sinks in. I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT OUT IN 6 months. It makes the xl superior in every way that counts. I've gotten 18 hrs of cooking out of one load.
    Say word?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited May 2013
    I use a reducing ring from the Ceramic Grill Store and only take it out when doing a pork butt or brisket. I prefer it to the ang-l-brackets although they both have their plusses. I don't have any way to quantify if it allows me to use less lump or use lump more efficiently but I believe it does. That's my thought.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    @travisstrick - Your ring, is it like the open walled model or the closed wall?
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    Open. It looks like a grate bent into a circle.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Open. It looks like a grate bent into a circle.

Travis, clearly I should have listened to you when you advised me to buy a ring.  When I cooked my butts this weekend, I was loosing temp at the 15 hour mark.  The lump was too spread out to sustain a hot fire if that makes sense.  There was lump left over, but spread out.  Good thing I was at 193 IT.  I was shooting for 200, but 193 seemed to be ok with these particular cuts.

Two lessons learned: 

1. Lump reducing rings are good to have.

2. Listen to Travis.

Flint, Michigan
  • EggRacer
    I like my lump reducing ring. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I don't cook anything without my lump reducing ring.  I made mine from an old weber smokey mountain fire ring and attached it to a charcoal grate with lock washers.  The best benefit is that I can shake the used charcoal over my ash can before each new cook.  Giving me 2 zones (direct & indirect) is a close second benefit.  Can't imagine running my XL without it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I have one of similar size. It's a prototype that Tom made. I have not taken it out in 6 months. I'll say that again so it sinks in. I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT OUT IN 6 months. It makes the xl superior in every way that counts. I've gotten 18 hrs of cooking out of one load.
    x2 I never remove mine either.  The only cook I would remove it for would be a large direct cook ... like 10 burgers on the 24" grid where the whole grid needs to be hot.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I love mine and I do use less charcoal. I had enough lump spread out from cooking a brisket this past weekend to fill up the ring and cook (4) pork tenderloins tonight at 400 deg without adding any lump. Get it from the Ceramic Grill Store. 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I use the angle l brackets. They are fantastic and so much more versatile than the reducing ring. I can divide my firebox into 1/4's, 1/2's, or 3/4 or anything in between. They allow me to have a direct and indirect zone as well as only use a fraction of the charcoal.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That ring from eBay looks overpriced. For more opinions, here's another post on reducing rings: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1315747/#Comment_1315747
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Great thread, thanks guys!

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, especially for using the wok on the XL.

@travisstrick, is a reducing ring like the one you have available now? Maybe CGS?

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • travisstrick
    It's available now. Here is a LINK.
  • stlcharcoal
    It's available now. Here is a LINK.

That one makes a little more sense at 14.5" diameter.  But it's still going to be over $50 by the time it's delivered.  I guess it depends where you are in the country with charcoal prices, but around here you'd need to save 60-70 lbs of lump before you even broke even.

Even if the coals are spread out on the bottom, just pour new charcoal on top.  You still need to heat the entire Egg.  You can heat it with 5 lbs of lump burning fast, or 20 lbs of lump burning slow.  At the end of the day, you still used the same amount of BTU's.

The only exception is searing something small, then it makes sense to have the fire ripping in the middle of the Egg and not the entire grid.  To each his own, but I still do not the cost vs. benefit gain of the ring.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    It's not a cost thing.  For many cooks, you get better results with the ring.  

For indirect cooks, the ring is allows you to build a smaller and taller stack of charcoal which has less of a chance of going out.  The ring also ensures a completely indirect cook as all the burning lump is completely hidden by the stone/platesetter.

For high heat direct cooks, the ring plus a spider and the cast iron grid give you a nice tight super hot 18" grill.  
  • travisstrick
    Cost aside, I still prefer the ring. For example, it makes indirect more indirect by keeping the flame farther underneath the stone.
  • EggRacer
    If I were worried about cost or return on investment I would never have bought the XL BGE. I'm with travisstrick, I prefer the ring.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • One upgrade for your new XL--a new firegrate.  A $9 Weber 18" cooking grid from Home Depot or Lowes drops right in and replaces BGE's cast iron one.  If you have problems with lump falling through, buy two, sandwich them together at a 90 degree angle to form your own cross hatching.  Best upgrade yet, and CHEAP.

Great reccomendation, and thanks to everyone who replied.  A lot of mixed reviews.  I think I'll try to manufacture something.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• stlcharcoal
    edited May 2013
    EggRacer said:
    If I were worried about cost or return on investment I would never have bought the XL BGE. I'm with travisstrick, I prefer the ring.

LOL.....yeah, I'm not as big of a XL fan as I am the large.  If I had it to do over, I would have three Larges rather than the Med, Lrg, and XL.  It would be nice to be able to interchange all the accessories as well.

If they would have taken the Large and just blown it up by 50% to make an XL, it would have been a lot better.  That short/squat firebox on the XL makes for hot spots and such.

I would really like to see someone engineer a Large "square egg" with a 18x18 square grid and versus the 18" round grid.  You would pick up almost 25% surface area, without a bigger foot print on the deck.  Primo tried it with that oval thing.

• I'm not sure if I missed it but does anyone know what the diameter is of the lump reducing ring for the extra large egg?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited May 2013
    What problems are you having with the fire grate in the xl ?

First time I've heard of problems with it.

I've heard of problems with the grate in the large ashing over and snuffing out the fire. This is why people are replacing with the Hi Q , but never the XL.