Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ring Reducer

Do the ring reducers for the XL egg work at all? I've got the XL egg and after about 10 cooks with a total burn time of about 30hrs, I've gone through 40lbs of lump. Seems something is not right.
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• I don't have an XL, but I know that lump consumption can't be tied to time.  1 hour burning at 500 consumes way more lump than 1 hour at 250.
    Flint, Michigan
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I've got the angle L brackets. I like them a lot. They are more versatile than the reducing ring. I can cook indirect on one side and direct on the other. I'm sure the reducing ring works. I wouldn't use it on an overnight low and slow. You'll run out of lump.

I'm an XL user too. Here are a few questions/tips. Are you shutting down your egg when the food comes off? If not, close the vents and put the ceramic cap on right away. Does your egg pass the dollar bill test? If not, you'll burn a lot more lump. What are you cooking? Nuclear pizza nights with friends will burn through the majority of your lump in a singne night. You also don't need to add lump every time. For a short cook, stir the lump to knock off the ash, then relight.

Hopefully this helps. BTW...I don't9 think your lump consumption seems that high. I can cook on about 20 lbs of lump per week at 3-4 nights per week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Here is what I have noticed using the lump reducing ring;
    1.  for me the vent and DW settings are different to get higher temps (above 400 degrees)
    2.  I don't use it for low and slows
    3.  uses just as much lump for cooks as when cooking without it (just using smaller amounts but refilling sooner per cook)
    I still feel it is a good product just nothing to be dancing in the streets about.  imho....
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I love it and its saving me charcoal. That being said, its great for shorter cooks.I wont be using it for ribs, pork butts, etc. I am glad I bought it.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Me use two fire bricks...Me no need reducer ring.
    XL BGE
  • HeathBar
    HeathBar Posts: 21
    I also thought about getting the ring or angle brackets but 2 firebricks work great and now I always have an indirect side. I almost always cook this way on my XL.
    XL BGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I like to use mine on wok cooks and when I had a 14" paella pan the ring diameter was a perfect match. Burning lump outside of the wok diameter is a good way to cook my forearm :-S

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I understand the fire bricks or dividers.  Keep the fire one side for true indirect heat.  The XL Kamado Joe even has a divider built into the firebox.....pretty slick idea.

I don't get the ring though......at least from the stance of "saving" charcoal.  You still have to heat the same amount of space inside the Egg; and you still lose the same amount of heat that radiates off the surface.  That small amount of charcoal will have a higher grid-level temp if it's 5-6" deep and centered vs. the same amount spread 1-2" across the entire fire grate.  At best, it's just keeping the fire centered--which may help if you're searing a steak or using a wok.  But in no way is it going to "save" charcoal in the long run.

If you want to save charcoal, buy a Small or a Medium Egg.  That's what I cook on when I don't need all the space in the XL or Large.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2013

My lump reducer never comes out, I use it on every cook. I can heap the lump just over the top and cook brisket and pork shoulder no problem.
    What I like most about my lump reducer is fact that I can shake my lump out after every cook so I know I have no clogs in the fire grate.  With 2 lock washers, I attached an old charcoal grid to it so I can just lift it out, shake it and put it back in.  All lump reducers should come stock this way, it's the only way to go.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I look at it this way, with the ring my xl cooks like a large, without, an xl for low and slow or a full grill of food. Very useful.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
     I Have one set up with a bottom grate in it like ChokeOnSmoke for my xl.

I don't really think it reduces lump usage.

However I use it all the time when cooking 2-3 steaks. I use it along with a woo 2 and a 15" CI grid.

For the trex method I fill the reducer ring with fresh lump and light with both vents wide open .. I then put the woo 2 in and the CI grid right above the reducer ring. In a short time I'll have a nice red bed of lava like coals . Throw on the steaks and sear for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per side. Due to the reduced amount of lump the egg temp is only about 400 now , and I don't have to wait forever for the temp to come down . I then pull the steaks , and add the standard cooking grid on top the woo 2 at gasket level. Leave the top vent wide open and shut the bottom vent to 1/4" . Throw the steaks back on , shut the dome and cook until desired temp. The final cook can be done either raised direct in the center of the grid or raised indirect by putting the steaks around the outside of the grid .

Reverse sear works great as well.
    Fill reducer ring ,and light with both vents wide open.
    Add woo2 , and both grids. When fire is going pretty good put steaks around the edge on top grid. I cook until internal temp reaches 120 flipping once. If dome tries to exceed 400 choke it down. When the steaks reach 120 pull them and the top grid. The reducer ring should be full of lava like coals , and the CI grid is already hot.
    I open the bottom vent all the way if I have shut it down any , and leave the dome open .
    Throw the steaks down on the CI and sear for 1 minute per side.
    Pull steaks, tent with foil, rest them for 10 Minutes , and eat.