Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you keep your DFMT from rusting?

Let's hear the tricks of the trade...

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Replace the wheel thingy with the ceramic cap and place the thingy inside the egg while it cools.
    That's it right there.  When you are finished cooking and it is time to shut down the egg, DFMT comes off and into egg, ceramic cap goes on.  Will keep the DFMT in good shape with no extra work.

You can also hit it with some pam or wipe down with oil from time to time if it is starting to show signs of rust. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Replace the wheel thingy with the ceramic cap and place the thingy inside the egg while it cools.
    Yup
    Large BGE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If you don't have a ceramic cap keep it oiled like a cast iron pan.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just use the darn thing!!  Mine is greasy from plenty of use!
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    JRWhitee said:
    But if you use the ceramic cap you kill the fire that much quicker....
    Large BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Stored in the cooling egg, and twice a year hit it with the pressure washer (If I remember) Otherwise it is a maintenance free item. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    What everyone else said. Occasionally I also oil it before I put it in the egg when cooling down.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I put in the BGE after the cook, took it apart and painted with high temp black Rustoleum BBQ paint. Looks brand new
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    EddieK76 said:
    JRWhitee said:
    But if you use the ceramic cap you kill the fire that much quicker....
    I can't find mine!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Do yourself a favor and get the SS vent cap from Eggware.net. Awesome product and even better customer service.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Plano_JJ said:
    Do yourself a favor and get the SS vent cap from Eggware.net. Awesome product and even better customer service.
    Ha!  You beat me to it.  Those are pretty sharp aren't they?
  • egger ave
    Plano_JJ said:
    agreed, great to cook with and looks good.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    I think I gotta get me one of them ss thingies.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • egger ave
    use AUSTIN for a 15% discount until the 15th if I remember correctly.

Albert Einstein
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    Simple enough.  Thanks doods.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Never take it out of the plastic it came in and put in the garage. I never use the thing, no reason. And makes life simple. Sat one was full of ham and other fill of turkey. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Toss it in a cooling egg. Already been said, but I just Pam'd mine after the last cook. Opened my egg this morning and they look good as new!!

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i let mine rust, if it were really that important to me i would have it chromed
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @mickey

I've noticed I use my dw less and less. Really can hone in with the bottom vent and its so much easier and quicker.

I do still use it for some things under 300

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    It opens/slides in two spots. The bottom or big one and the small or top one that rotates completely.
    My bottom opens/closes like normal. My top is basically stuck in current position. Can't budge. But zero rust anywhere ha
    Boom
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It opens/slides in two spots. The bottom or big one and the small or top one that rotates completely. My bottom opens/closes like normal. My top is basically stuck in current position. Can't budge. But zero rust anywhere ha
    mmmm sign of good smoke there. just give it a tap, it'll budge

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Plano_JJ said:
    Awesome, and the guy (Matthew) that sells them is great. I had a problem with the first one with one of the holes being cut wrong and he promptly sent me another one AND money to ship him the bad one. He also took the time to call me on the phone and discuss it.
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189

Just use the darn thing!!  Mine is greasy from plenty of use! and going to get worse with use

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen