Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfecting the Wing

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I think that is more a result of roasting instead of frying. Is there something wrong with a mouthfull  of crispy chichen skin? :-??

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2013
    Options
    No. I just prefer some in every bite!  I will continue to use it.  But I do think I used too much.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm just guessing but I think frying tends to make the skin adhere to the meat. Roasting will allow the fat to run down the inside and separate it. Dunno.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Mine was like "doughy", and you are probably correst that i had too much on -- i played with it on about three or four cooks --  finally got away from it.  And like the above poster mentioned, the skin never got crisp, but more like a rubbery texture, even though the inside cooked properly?? 
  • Little Steven
    Options

Here's a pic of some just on. You can see the starch starting to dissapear on some

P1030648 P1030648-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• losttree
    Options
    I always let my wings dry out a few hours uncovered in the fridge as others have suggested then go indirect between 400 - 450 for about an hour. I like to cook some with Swamp Venom, some with Jamaican firewall and some with Tsunami Spin. I actually think the drying period has more to do with it than the cooking method. I go indirect because I can cook more wings at a time that way than I can direct.
    Adam
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I found a local hardware store that sells Dizzy Pig. I've never tried it but picked up a bottle of Swamp Venom. I'm anxious to try wings on it soon!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I fry them. I like grilled wings too, but recreating fried wings through grilling is not as good as frying. That's my opinion anyway. They are just different.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I use the egg for mine as stated earlier but if you go the fry route try this. I restaurant back home does this. Throw them on the egg with some smoke first and THEN fry them. Pretty solid. Great smoke flavor with the crunch of fried.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I use the egg for mine as stated earlier but if you go the fry route try this. I restaurant back home does this. Throw them on the egg with some smoke first and THEN fry them. Pretty solid. Great smoke flavor with the crunch of fried.
    @chubbs

I second this. I have been doing this for a while and I love the results. I will say, that I have a new dilemma when picking what type of wings to cook between @cazzy 's wangs, and smoking on the egg/finishing in the turkey fryer.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Bjorg said:
    I am loving the wing racks!image
    I use these racks and go indirect at 400 high up in the dome. I know some purists are not going to like this at all...but I do mine skinless.

I buy large whole wings. I take off the wing tip and remove every bit of skin and fat. After I use paper towels to dry them completely, I toss in hot sauce and coat lightly with flour and a little corn starch. I hang them from a rack and then go 400 until they hit between 195 and 200. Into a bowl with a sticky asian sauce (garlic, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, etc) and then either serve or throw back in for 5-7 minutes to finish. The finishing hardly ever happens because those wings smell amazing and the sauce is incredible. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    My advice would be to leave uncovered in the fridge for a few hours to overnight. Set up your egg with the AR, pizza stone on the bottom level with either an aluminum pan or foil to catch the drippings, your grate on the top, dome temp around 400-450, top vent with no daisy wheel to allow smoke to quickly escape and light dusting of corn starch. They won't be as crispy as if they were deep fried, but they should still be crispy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Bjorg said:
    I am loving the wing racks!image
    Very nice.  Not sure if you tried it yet, but you should also try giving it a more direct flame finish.  Remove that piece underneath and try them as well.  They are great that way also.  Glad they worked out.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    Options

Cooking them "EGGED" as high up in the dome as possible, indirect,   at 400 degrees works for me. No turning.

Second photo is out of the Broaster(pressure fried) at 375 degrees 

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    IrishDevl said:
    Very nice.  Not sure if you tried it yet, but you should also try giving it a more direct flame finish.  Remove that piece underneath and try them as well.  They are great that way also.  Glad they worked out.
    They were direct most of the cook. 400 on raised grill. I just wanted to grill some pre-cooked potatoes and have them receive a bit of grease rain from the chicken while doing so. The skin was very crispy. I have put homemade bbq sauce for the last 5 min of the cook. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html

Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this is how i cook them. i like the georgia red wing marinade in the recipe section as well but add alot more heat and marinade for days. its the opposite approach to everyone here, its a low and slow direct cook

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/491362/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Got it, good stuff.  Like that idea