Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cinco de mayo a la MINI and LBGE... Sort of (pics)

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Had a rack of babybacks in the fridge that needed to be cooked. Not exactly cinco de mayo-like, so started brain storming something to accompany. Also, I was not going to let the new MINI sit on the porch all lonely. Decided on elote... one of my wife's favorites. Did not get a cooking pic of them, but basically seared the corn on the MINI. Made a ancho chili mayonaise that I spreaded on the corn, then rolled the corn in some crumbled cojita cheese. These were delicious and actually a great side for the ribs. Also had some zuccini I needed to cook, so slided those and threw them on the MINI as well. The ribs went on the large. Probably the best ribs I have even made. Just a single rack of BBs, slathered in yellow mustard then a heavy dusting of Bad Byrons. Did not open the lid for 4 hours. They were perfect. Finished them with Bone Sucking Sauce. Total cook time was about 4.5 hours.

To keep the company satisfied, I threw some chicken bombs on the MINI while the ribs were cooking since there has been a lot of talk about them lately. I used chicken thighs instead of breasts. Delicious.

To keep myself hydrated during the cook, I went with some bulldog margaritas in honor of Cinco de mayo. After dinner, I made some homemade churros, finished with some vanilla bean cream and a warm chocolate sauce. Great day and the MINI egg is a machine..... If you are on the fence, make the purchase!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Boy, you didn't waste any time putting that little boy to work !  Great job !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Nope @VI, I didn't. Little guy performs far better than I had imagined. The elote was incredible. Tough act to follow. haha
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man, that is one fine looking meal!  It all looks amazing from appetizer to drink to dessert.  Did you throw the corn on the large direct after the ribs came off? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Everything looks great, way to set the bar!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Man that looks great.  I have seen the upside down corona.  What is that?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Everything looks great but I'm incredibly jealous of the corn.  I'm spoiled by local sweet corn, but with as cool as our spring has been most farmers are just now getting the seeds in the ground.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Homemade churros?... Show-off! :)  Sounds like a great meal - I love elote. Makes me feel even more like a tool for not cooking anything for Cinco De Mayo :(

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Great looking meal Chubbs!  Love the dessert!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Everything looks great! I love me some elote. You can make that when you visit my place this summer B-)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    r270ba said:

Called a bulldog margarita. Frozen margarita with corona. Good stuff
  • Chubbs
    r270ba said:

Man, that is one fine looking meal!  It all looks amazing from appetizer to drink to dessert.  Did you throw the corn on the large direct after the ribs came off? 

Corn was direct on MINI
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Chubbs that dessert is the bomb!  Great way to close out such a winning weekend.  Congrats.  
  • milesbrown4
    edited May 2013
  • milesbrown4
    edited May 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chubbs said:
    Nice! That's called a Corona'rita in my neck of the woods.

I've also had a Dos rita with Dos Equis. Awesome.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just shows. Owning a Mini makes you a better cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Mickey said:
    Yeah, mini makes you get creative  for sure Mickey. Love that thing. Best $400 I have spent for my BGE obsession
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Mickey said:

You've never carbonized wings on the mini - right?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I am afraid this is post is going to get me in trouble. I won the battle first Egg around but I'm not sure I can win again second time around. 
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Nice looking cook Chubbs. Congrats on the mini.
  • Chubbs
    Lit said:
    Nice looking cook Chubbs. Congrats on the mini.
    Thanks @Lit. That is a compliment coming from you. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Great looking cook. I knew you would love the Mini. We prefer Dos-a-ritas. I don't think your glass is big enough. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Griffin said:

Great looking cook. I knew you would love the Mini. We prefer Dos-a-ritas. I don't think your glass is big enough. ;)

Griffin said:

Yeah, I am typically not a huge margarita fan, so dont have those fancy glasses. Might just have to add some new bar-ware. 
  • Griffin
    Those aren't margarita glasses, those are goblets! Or Big "O"s as they were referred to at my favorite watering hole back in college George's Bar (the same one referred to in Pat Green's song). 18 oz of frosty, ice cold beer. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Griffin said:

Those aren't margarita glasses, those are goblets! Or Big "O"s as they were referred to at my favorite watering hole back in college George's Bar (the same one referred to in Pat Green's song). 18 oz of frosty, ice cold beer. :D

When I lived in Lubbock they were "schooners" nothing better on a hot day. Top of the beer would ice over beautifully
  • Griffin
    I keep two in my freezer at all times. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Great way to break in that Mini! Looks like you had a nice day with some great food! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA