Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese-Stuffed, Bacon-Crusted Shrimp

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
Before starting yesterdays great Kentucky Hot Brown cook for the Kentucky Derby party, we were watching Rick Bayless show One Plate at a Time and saw some Cheese_Stuffed, Bacon-Crusted Shrimp and knew that was going on the menu for Sunday! It was Cinco De Mayo after all. 

First up was to grill some veggies, we decided to do everything on the cast iron griddle on the large egg. Heirloom tomatoes, anehiem chilies, and red onions. 

Then I butterflied the shrimp and got it ready to be stuffed with the cheese mixture. 

Time to check on the Egg and make sure that the temp was holding stead at 400° Still chilly but not windy like Saturday so it made being outside much better.

We decided on a Chorizo Dirty Rice as a side and did it on the egg. It turned out great and was a nice side that we were experimenting with. 

While going through Rick Bayless latest book Frontera Margaritas, Guacamoles, and Snacks I saw a recipe for a Tequila Old Fashioned and it was great! It was made with Ancho Chile, Woodford Reserve, Patron Reposado, Agave Nectar, & Reagan's Orange Bitters. 

Then the veggies where diced up and put into some veggie quesadillas and went out on the Egg

Now the main attraction: the shrimp!

After the flip

All done

The spread with the Roasted Guajillo Salsa I made last week and some candied jalepenos. 

Plated pic

It was a great weekend with two really good meals. I hope everybody had a great weekend! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Looks awesome!

How was that drink?  Never seen a drink with a chile in it..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    That looks fantastic!!!!!! Well done @Solson005
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @bccomstock the drink was awesome, it called for anejo so I imagine it would only get better.( liquor stores are closed on Sundays in Oklahoma) the better the bourbon and tequila the better it will be since there is not much else in it. It didnt taste like chile at all just had a great smooth flavor.

Thanks @EddieK76 it was a fun cook and a great weekend spent with family and friends.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You are killin it man!  I wish I was your neighbor :)

I would never think to mix bourbon and Tequila...but I love them both separately so I will have to try it sometime.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You are killin it man!  I wish I was your neighbor :)

I would never think to mix bourbon and Tequila...but I love them both separately so I will have to try it sometime.  
    +1. Those shrimp look awesome. Love the veggie smiley face!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Options
    I looked up the recipe to try it soon.  To save others the google search:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=342
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt I could use some egging neighbors!

@caliking I had to get out the griddle to compete with the tuff guy and all your awesome posts lately ;)

Thanks for posting that @pwg56 I just wrote it down from his show and wasn't aware it was online. It was really good and I don't think I would change anything!
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    @Solson005 great cook!  I need a CI griddle.  Wanted to make chocolate banana quesadilla with honey and brown sugar for Cinco, the same way you made yours.  Thanks for the motivation!  
  • Solson005
    Options
    @milesbrown4 this one I found at Academy for $12 and it is a heavy well made piece by Outdoor Gourmet. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Solson005: Ha ha! I only wish I could throw the parties that you do. Its a real treat to read about your cooks.

I saw that griddle at Academy. They have some great deals on bbq gear. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks @caliking I like telling the story so people can picture how the day cook went. I'm glad you like it, sometimes it seems like a lot of work when it doesn't get much traffic / comments. But lately I feel pretty popular :\">
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man that look's awesome! Another week or two I should have my hand back ( after surgery ) and will try this.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Solson005
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thank you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery @RAC they were really good, you should definitely make them when your back up and running!
  • DomCal
    DomCal Posts: 31
    Options
    Wow...looks great!!!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Two great day of eating at your Casa
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    There's a few forum members who's threads I hesitate to open... You @solson005 are one of them. I either get depressed at my measly skills or spend the whole day trying to imitate your cooks. Good day sir... I said good day!
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thank you @DomCal & @thetrim It was two great meals and good times! 

@henapple I appreciate that you think my cooks are above others, but I just enjoy spending time with the egg and cooking for family and friends. Anytime you get close enough to OKC take a little detour, we can have a feast and a drink in my backyard.. I don't mean to intimidate by any means I just love cooking on my egg and try to enjoy Sundays with the family! 
    B-)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've bookmarked the page. I'm dying to try them. Might do some grits with the shrimp.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN