Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looflighter vs Propane Torch

Options
I'm looking for something that will get me up and running quicker than starting my LBE with fire starters or the electric starter.  I know a bunch of you use a weed burner/propane torch.  Not sure how many use the Looflighter.  Looking into both but never seeing either in action, here's what I've determined to be the pro's and con's of each. 

Torch:
 - Need access to 20 lb propane tank in close proximity to egg
 - Can be found for $20 - $30.
 - Appears to require more space for storage

Looflighter:
 - Costly at approximately $80
 - Questions about durability
 - Need access to electricity (not a problem for me)

Am I missing anything?  Also, can anyone who is familiar with both tell me if one device will help me bring the lump up to temp quicker than the others?

Thanks!
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You can get a small map torch 40-50$ and I'm lit in 10-15 seconds.

I'm prolly smoking something tomorrow so ill try and take a video.

XLBGE 
  • Mgilkey
    Mgilkey Posts: 5
    Options
    I just got my Egg yesterday and had already purchased a Looflighter which has worked great - I have only used it twice though... I got mine at Williams sonnoma onsale last week for $59.  It has a 2 year guarantee - and WS is usually great about things like this.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    I was thinking Benzomatic torch at Home depot for about $20.00.   Surprisingly, vegetable oil/paper towel is not that much slower.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    @MrCooking Nurse: I'd appreciate seeing the map torch in action. Thanks in advance if you are able to shoot a video!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    JeffM said:
    I was thinking Benzomatic torch at Home depot for about $20.00.   Surprisingly, vegetable oil/paper towel is not that much slower.

+1 on the Benzomatic.  Small and easy to store, inexpensive, plenty of heat/power and the replacement canisters are like two bucks and last forever.  I use mine to light in four places around the perimeter of the lump....not right on the edge, but away from the middle.  Takes about two minutes to light and am usually ready to cook in about 10-15 minutes. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Get a Wagner heat gun from home depot for $22. Same as the looflighter
  • miscjames
    miscjames Posts: 78
    Options
    By far the easiest way i have found to light any egg is a Brinkmann 1-Burner Propane Camp Stove and a charcoal chimney. Check out my review here: 

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    I MUCH prefer the benzomatic map torch. I bought the looft and took it back. Did not want the hassle of cord and all. What if power is out???
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Just me...I use the Looftlighter on my Mini butt the BGE electric on my LBGE. Maybe because I use Ozark Oak for my faster cooks on the Mini and find for low and slow cook on my large Egg, I can bring up the temp slower with the electric and my BBQ Guru using  Wicked Good.

All depends.. I use the Mini for fast cooks and my LBGE with Wicked Good in slow and go stuff. I find the Wicked Good slower to heat up with the Looftlighter but .........everyone has their own experiences and preferences. I love both charcoals.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Lit
    Options
    I got the Rutland pack of 144 fire starters on amazon today for $13 and haven't tried them yet but they look to be the exact same as the BGE brand. When I bought my XL they gave me a box and they are handy to have around when I don't want to bring the extension cord out. Not the fastest method but easy.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @lit

is it one per cook, or does it take a few strategically placed? 

XLBGE 
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options

I bought a looftlighter in the fall for ~$33 at William-Sonoma... I got a great deal (so good I bought 10 of them and gave them as gifts). Having used it a ton - I would NEVER pay $80 for it.  It takes a while to warm up and the end of mine has melted. Though I have to say once it's warmed up its like a jet engine...  I also have a map torch and it works well, but over all I have to say I like my electric charcoal lighter the best. I realized the BBQing should be relaxing and time to get away from the rat race -- why ruin it by rushing things... 

• Lit
    Options

@lit

is it one per cook, or does it take a few strategically placed? 
    one per cook is fine its alot like a paper towel with oil on it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    Options
    I got the looftlighter several years ago as a gift and absolutely love it. As others have said, it takes about about 45s to get going but once there it is like a torch. I have a torch that I use for starting charcoal fires when camping but I don't think I'd want to fuss with the small propane tanks at the house. Your mileage may vary of course. If you don't have a power outlet near your Egg then that may also be a game changer for you. 
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    I use the looflighter and love it! Easy as heck super dependable. Use it often and I have had no problems. Highly recommended.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Something inherently wrong with having to have an extension cord to light a fire on the BGE. My vote's for Mapp gas.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Options
    Waughco how do you disagree with something but then have no comment?  Heck no comments on the forum at all!  Where is the troll button?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Waughco how do you disagree with something but then have no comment?  Heck no comments on the forum at all!  Where is the troll button?

They are just an applicant. They probably don't have commenting privileges yet.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I use a looft lighter. Had a gift card I used. I light 3 spots usually and it takes me less than 3 minutes. Plus it's handy to stick in the bottom vent to blast air in. If the mapp gas were cheaper I would have done that instead probably. But I love the lighter
    Dunedin, FL
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I bought the looft lighter when I got my first egg and it was great during the spring, summer, and fall. It takes about 90 seconds to get the first spot lit and then about 30 seconds per spot after that.   Last winter I bought a TS8000 Bernzamatic MAPP torch and I hold the torch for 10 seconds for each spot that I want to light - much faster getting the eggs up and running when it is cold or raining.  Both work well, but I haven't used my looft lighter since I bought the TS8000.  It uses very little gas and fits in the drawer of my challenger table. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I use the looft lighter when I'm at home and love it. I bought it when I got my large three years ago and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I follow the directions and usually light it in two spots. It may take a little longer to hold over the coals but I'm up to temp very quickly. 

I use a propane torch to light my small when I go mobile and it works good too, but I like the looft lighter better. I also have a outlet in my pergola so I don't need a extension cord.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2013
    Options

The Looft Lighter is just a fancy heat gun.  You can buy the same wattage heat gun at Harbor Freight for $13.99 and still use a 20% off coupon  I think the shape allows you to get closer to the charcoal, and it has more metal than plastic; but ultimately MAPP or propane is going to be MUCH hotter and faster.

MAPP is too hot for me.  I'm scared of dropping it or mishandling it--I've had too many burn patients.  I use the big propane weed burner.  Works great on the Egg, and works great burning weeds & melting ice.  I just bought a new one last week--the old one finally gave up the go after 7 yrs of sitting outside.

The Looft Lighter is still cool, but if you're on a budget or want something more effective for your bucks, then a regular heat gun or a torch may be better.  All of us have of little indulgences when it comes to spending way too much money on something cool when there's something that will do the same job for much less (mine are Swiss and go on my wrist.)

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mickey said:
    C'mon Mick that's torch envy if I've ever seen it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MontanaBBQ
    MontanaBBQ Posts: 8
    Options
    Another +1 for the MAPP. My parents have a Looftlighter that they use to fire up their Oval XL, and I have used it plenty. But we've had to replace it once and I still find my MAPP does the trick just as well in much less time. As for fuel economy, I'm on my fifth bag of WGWW and the torch is still going VERY strong.