Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok, My Turn...

Ive been seeing the "chicken bomb" posts so I finally got around to giving it a go. I mixed cream cheese with shredded cheddar and some rub. imageimage I cooked them raised direct at 300 for 30 minutes (turning half way through) with some peach smoke. I then sauced them with "Head Country - Hot" and let them go another 15 minutes. image The end result was amazing!!! image Thanks to the forum for the unique idea.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I hadn't clicked on a "chicken bomb" thread yet, but I will now.  Dayam, those look good!   :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks like you nailed it. Nice presentation.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Beautiful - but, what beer was served with these wonders?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Coors light, then Makers & Sprite, then red wine......
  • TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35

I have been reading through a lot of ideas this AM while we keep tabs on our first Butt cook.  I love this idea; looks so yummy too!  I love jalapeno poppers at a restaurant and this idea takes an appetizer and makes it an entrée IMO.  But my hubby thinks it means HOT! HOT! HOT!  and will not try it.  I was wondering if steaming the pepper boats first to soften; would this help take some of the bite away (?)- not too much - just enough to convince him to try this. He does not believe me that no seeds means no heat.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great!  What kind of chicken did you use?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    =P~ I need to make these soon! Looks awesome! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    TwoCooks said:

I have been reading through a lot of ideas this AM while we keep tabs on our first Butt cook.  I love this idea; looks so yummy too!  I love jalapeno poppers at a restaurant and this idea takes an appetizer and makes it an entrée IMO.  But my hubby thinks it means HOT! HOT! HOT!  and will not try it.  I was wondering if steaming the pepper boats first to soften; would this help take some of the bite away (?)- not too much - just enough to convince him to try this. He does not believe me that no seeds means no heat.

Yeah I'm not sure how to convince him if he thinks no seeds means no heat.  I mean there will still be a little heat but the less seeds the less heat :)   Maybe send him some educational reading links on seeds=hotness :)
    Large BGE

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks good! Nice job.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TwoCooks
    EddieK76 said:
    TwoCooks said:

Yeah I'm not sure how to convince him if he thinks no seeds means no heat.  I mean there will still be a little heat but the less seeds the less heat :)   Maybe send him some educational reading links on seeds=hotness :)
    TY EK76 for answering my Q -- will work on him and try your suggestion.  We are 5 hours into our 1st Butt cook, I believe we are soon into the Stall ... .. .. trying to remain calm.
  • Que_n_Brew
    @SmokeyPitt....I used "thin breast" from Kroger but I have seen others that have used the boneless/skinless thighs like you can get from Costco. I'm a breast guy myself. :)@TwoCooks....they were not hot at all. If you remove the membrane along with the seeds, you are taking away most of the heat.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Just trying my first batch now, will post pictures later. We're all fans of heat, so take the seeds out because I don't like the texture but try to leave the veins. It's actually the veins that contain much of the capsaisin (the protein that is responsible for spiciness), and the seeds pick it up due to their close proximity.

Take out as much of the vein as possible and most jalapenos will become as mild as a bell pepper.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • TwoCooks
    Just trying my first batch now, will post pictures later. We're all fans of heat, so take the seeds out because I don't like the texture but try to leave the veins. It's actually the veins that contain much of the capsaisin (the protein that is responsible for spiciness), and the seeds pick it up due to their close proximity.

Take out as much of the vein as possible and most jalapenos will become as mild as a bell pepper.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Danke, B_B, I know some heat is nice but if I want to have these babies again, I will deveining and burning my fingers off.  I have to say that when I went to pick up buns for the pork tonight, the grocery had jalapenos on sale, so I picked up 4.  We will be trying these.  Our pork has been sittin and hour and is ready for the pull.  Bye All.  Thanks for your help here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    DaYum those look good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuude! Nice! Gonna give that a whirl in the next few weeks. If I do anything different, it's gonna be Weller and not Maker's.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • TwoCooks

Hubby was pleasantly surprised!

I wanted to get back to those in this thread who helped me understand jalapenos and the making of chicken bombs.  This was our third cook on the Egg and each one has been a huge success thanks to the Egghead Forum and everybody’s willingness to help; especially by not being annoyed when a newbie asks the same old Q’s that you have been hounded with before.  As I mentioned earlier, hubby was extremely skeptical about this when I told him what we were making. I followed the same basic recipe as Que_n_Brew  using boneless skinless thighs.  My only issue was that couple of the thighs could hardly be pounded wide enough to wrap around the stuffed jalapeno boats and skewer through.  These chickens clearly were not related to my side of the family, LOL!  We foiled sliced potatoes, onion, gr. pepper, and dotted with remaining cream cheese mixture placing them on the main rack while the bombs were placed on the raised rack.  This was our first direct heat cook and temps @ the high grill level remained between 280 and 300* and took about 1 hr. 20 min. total.  Added a side of fresh steamed asparagus and finished with garden rhubarb sour cream cake and whalaa, oh what a meal!!  I know you all like to see the pictures but we are still spending all our time getting it right watching temps, recording the steps.  Sorry, I have a one track mind and have never been able to multitask.  Still wanted to express my appreciation – hubby actually agreed to do this one again sometime.  TY

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    TwoCooks said:

Hubby was pleasantly surprised!

I wanted to get back to those in this thread who helped me understand jalapenos and the making of chicken bombs.  This was our third cook on the Egg and each one has been a huge success thanks to the Egghead Forum and everybody’s willingness to help; especially by not being annoyed when a newbie asks the same old Q’s that you have been hounded with before.  As I mentioned earlier, hubby was extremely skeptical about this when I told him what we were making. I followed the same basic recipe as Que_n_Brew  using boneless skinless thighs.  My only issue was that couple of the thighs could hardly be pounded wide enough to wrap around the stuffed jalapeno boats and skewer through.  These chickens clearly were not related to my side of the family, LOL!  We foiled sliced potatoes, onion, gr. pepper, and dotted with remaining cream cheese mixture placing them on the main rack while the bombs were placed on the raised rack.  This was our first direct heat cook and temps @ the high grill level remained between 280 and 300* and took about 1 hr. 20 min. total.  Added a side of fresh steamed asparagus and finished with garden rhubarb sour cream cake and whalaa, oh what a meal!!  I know you all like to see the pictures but we are still spending all our time getting it right watching temps, recording the steps.  Sorry, I have a one track mind and have never been able to multitask.  Still wanted to express my appreciation – hubby actually agreed to do this one again sometime.  TY

That sounds like a great meal TwoCooks.  I can picture it in my mind :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Que_n_Brew
    @TwoCooks...so glad your hubby agree to the meal and it sounds like it was outstanding. Just to clarify, I used boneless, skinless thin breast. I mentioned in one post that others had used the thighs. I choose the breast based on the idea of what you ran into...thighs not being round enough to cover. Next time try the thin breast if you can find them. One other note, I'm sure the steamed asparagus was great...having said that, I love asparagus cooked on the egg.
  • TwoCooks

Thanks SmokeyPit, it was a great one.

Que_n_Brew, I don't mean to drag on your thread, but I did want to respond to your comment and ask a Q about he point you brought up.  Yes, I did realize you had used breasts instead of thighs and I forgot to put the "except" in my sentence when I wrote that I followed your recipe but I did like the cream cheese/cheddar combo.  My Q centers around the vegetable cook.  We were going to do a roast this week with the potatoes, onions and carrots.  I was trying to figure out a way to do the whole thing on the Egg.  I usually put it all in the crock pot and it comes out perfect every time, but doing it on the Egg would add that smoky aura. Any suggestions? You sound very experienced with Eggculinary.  I thought I was doin' good by preparing two at once; three at once goes against all odds considering my multitask affliction!

• Oh now I am going to have to make some of those!!!
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Great job. Those look familiar. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX