Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NRA Convention

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
Ted Cruz is giving an excellent speech right now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I'm leaving for the convention downtown in 10 minutes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm headed to lufkin.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Carry open ,carry concealed. Just as long as you carry. At least I do in Flint and Saginaw,MI.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    A lot of people do in my neighborhood (Flint, MI)!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    I see a 5 year old boy in  Kentucky killed his 2 year old sister with a rifle he got for his birthday.What type of idiot gives a 5 year old a rifle and ammo?

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @sticks88

no one wants to blame the parents that left a loaded gun propped up in the corner of the living room.  it's the guns fault.

terrible accident, prayers go out to the family, but the gun control loonies are gonna eat this up.  

XLBGE 
  • @sticks88

no one wants to blame the parents that left a loaded gun propped up in the corner of the living room.  it's the guns fault.

terrible accident, prayers go out to the family, but the gun control loonies are gonna eat this up.  

23 people shot in chicago YESTERDAY. Bet the gun control loonies eat that up too :) i own several guns BTW but seems there might be a happy medium somewhere.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    This is how I feel about it! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHtw6WbbnM
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Let's just say we have vastly differing opinions on this subject and leave it at that. I watched the nuge video on the subject and wow is all I'll say.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    @sticks88

23 people shot in chicago YESTERDAY. Bet the gun control loonies eat that up too :) i own several guns BTW but seems there might be a happy medium somewhere.

Of course Chicago has the toughest gun control laws in the country.  Funny how they're also the handgun death leader in the country.  Pretty much tells the story......

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• travisstrick
    Blah blah blah
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Guns dont kill people, idiots with them do. I've been using one hunting since I was six but was taught right and they are always locked up. JMO
  • Little Steven
    sticks88 said:
    I see a 5 year old boy in  Kentucky killed his 2 year old sister with a rifle he got for his birthday.What type of idiot gives a 5 year old a rifle and ammo?
    I thought about this after I posted. Being Canadian, where we have very stringent gun control, I didn't really give any thought to the subject matter. I was just commenting on the speech and did not intend to start any trouble...Sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    sticks88 said:
    I thought about this after I posted. Being Canadian, where we have very stringent gun control, I didn't really give any thought to the subject matter. I was just commenting on the speech and did not intend to start any trouble...Sorry

My 4 and 2.5 y/o's each have their own rifles.....custom serial numbers with their initials.  They are locked up in the safe.  We practice holding them and trigger control.  On nice days we'll shoot in the backyard.  They can't really aim yet, but the 4 y/o understands the concept.  My dad bought me my first rifle on my first b-day and taught me safety from day one.

I would rather start early and teach them safety.  Kids are curious, if you tell them "don't touch, that's dangerous" you know the second you turn you back, they are going to go check it out (at least mine would!)  I want to get them to a point where if they find a gun out at someone's house, they know not to touch the trigger and alert an adult.

In reference to the story your posted; parents were idiots by allowing the UNSUPERVISED child access to the firearm and ammo.  But with proper supervision, this is safe and a good idea to start good practices early.  It's not just the guns though.....in 10 yrs of being in EMS and my wife working in the ER, we see a lot more critically injured children from other recreational activities.  ATV, dirt bike, horses, and swimming pools--other things that far more parents allow children to do unsupervised.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    We went to the NRA meeting and show yesterday in Houston. Met some very nice people, had a good time, saw a lot of neat stuff and got home safely. To each his own on this and other issues.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    egger ave said:
    We went to the NRA meeting and show yesterday in Houston. Met some very nice people, had a good time, saw a lot of neat stuff and got home safely. To each his own on this and other issues.
    Where were you?  I didn't see you there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    sticks88 said:
    As a Canadian, you might have missed a salient point. This was in Kentucky.
  • Little Steven

No, I am aware of that horrible incident. I believe strongly in gun control in Canada but we have had it for a long time. As far as the US goes, that horse left the barn a long time ago.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    @sticks88

I read the article on this accident and it said a round was in the chamber and the gun was leaning in the corner.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    KennyLee said:
    @sticks88

Of course Chicago has the toughest gun control laws in the country.  Funny how they're also the handgun death leader in the country.  Pretty much tells the story......
    Cracks me up how the gun grabbers cant put two and two together. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Damn it's getting tough to keep my mouth shut... The average police response is 5-10 minutes. I witnessed a wreck and stopped to stay with the injured kid... 15 minutes. This was right out of town.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Sorry.. Dammit.
  • travisstrick
    henapple said:

Sorry.. Dammit.

Don't worry brother. I'm right behind you.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Plano_JJ said:

@sticks88

I read the article on this accident and it said a round was in the chamber and the gun was leaning in the corner.

Yup, prolly same article I read. Mother went outside and left a 2 yo and 5 yo alone inside. Not to mention the loaded gun in the corner.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Plano_JJ said:

KennyLee said:

@sticks88

Cracks me up how the gun grabbers cant put two and two together. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

That's why I carry.

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    I so wish I hadn't started this thread

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse

Just blame it on the other little Steven.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    There's always irresponsible accidents. How many people are killed in car crashes due to stupidity. No one wants to take cars away or stop the sell of fuel. Dui? Nobody screams for the liquor industry to stop. The parents were stupid... Negligent.

Ok, I'm going back to relaxing....
  • travisstrick
    Welcome to Mericka!