Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me decide....

I'm stuck on deciding between the Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier swing rack for $185 or the Ceramic Grill Store XL adjustable rig for $95 + $45 for 20" grate + $45 for oval 16"x20" grate.

I know there are LOTS of you guys that have both of these items. Please post what you like, dislike about the product you own.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Do you have a way to do indirect if you go for the swing rack?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The swing rack fits over the plate setter.
  • Yes, I have the plate setter. This is for the BGE XL..
  • IFFF there was a issue while cooking, I could pull the Ceramic Grill Store XL adjustable rig right up out of the grill with no issues. With the swing away method, it might be more of an issue IMO..
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have the AR with woo for my XL.  A ton of versatility and I use it at least 3 times per week.  I use mine for raised direct, raised indirect, with the woo for wokking, and multiple level lo and slo.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo, its a complete cooking system, direct, indirect, raised, woking, drip pan etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FWIW - I had the AR for my large and really liked it. I'm going to buy the Woo2 AR Combo for the XL I just ordered.
    Flint, Michigan
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Have the swing rack and love it! best sear I have had easy to do large amounts of meat.All that and clean up cant be beat.

• Dutch
    Dutch Posts: 5
    I've had my AR & Spider on my large for nearly 3 years and I can't imagine a better system for everything.  Indirect, 1/2 indirect, searing and Woking.  It's a pleasure to cook on and is built like a tank.  My other large has a plate-setter and a raised grid and you can do most of the same cooks, just not as conveniently.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Eggheadinflorida ---  Look --  we need someone that has both to do the real recommendation on them -- how about you buying both to give the rest of us the true information?? >:D<
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    For me it's simple, Swing rack if you don't have any work area around your egg to make adjustments during cooks.  If you have a work area to use with the Adjustable Rig, go with the rig.  I have a Large so can't speak to the XL completely but that's my two cents.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

When would you need a woo and a AR?  Isn't an A.R and spider  the same but cheaper??

Just as I thought I  figured out all the configurations for the AR ya throw a woo in there too lol!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

Unfortunately I can’t compare them but I just ordered the Adjustable Rig XL combo (and lump reducing ring) today.  I thought it had the most flexibility for my needs.  I plan on cooking everything under the sun on the BGE so I wanted as many options as possible.  As a matter of fact, it has so many options I had to reread their web description several times to understand them all.  :) 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Im guessing that cooking on multiple layer rigs is kind of hard over a direct heat? For instance, cooking some chicken wings will cause the lower layer to cook a lot faster than the top right? From what I have gathered, these multi layer rigs are good for cooking on a indirect heat since all the food will more or less get the same attention as the heat circulates within the dome?

• fishlessman
    what ive found with alot of wings is that if you pull the whole rig out and set it on a table and close the dome you will avoid flareups from having the dome open too long. the rig is easy to grag liftout, flip the shelves up and down, move pieces around, then place it back in. with a big cook like a turkey i just lift it out, slide the turkey onto a plate on the outdoor table. if things are burning its also easy to slip the pizza stone onto a lower rack and now your cooking indirect
    fukahwee maine

• what ive found with alot of wings is that if you pull the whole rig out and set it on a table and close the dome you will avoid flareups from having the dome open too long. the rig is easy to grag liftout, flip the shelves up and down, move pieces around, then place it back in. with a big cook like a turkey i just lift it out, slide the turkey onto a plate on the outdoor table. if things are burning its also easy to slip the pizza stone onto a lower rack and now your cooking indirect
    So would it be best to get (2) oval grates instead on the (1) 20" that sits on top?
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Love my AR, spider/stone combo.  Easy to lift everything out for lighting.
  • fishlessman
    what ive found with alot of wings is that if you pull the whole rig out and set it on a table and close the dome you will avoid flareups from having the dome open too long. the rig is easy to grag liftout, flip the shelves up and down, move pieces around, then place it back in. with a big cook like a turkey i just lift it out, slide the turkey onto a plate on the outdoor table. if things are burning its also easy to slip the pizza stone onto a lower rack and now your cooking indirect
    So would it be best to get (2) oval grates instead on the (1) 20" that sits on top?
    mines before the oval grates, i have a large egg with a 18 that fits on top and 2 smaller round grates that fit inside the rig. i would think the ovals would make it easier
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Ceramic Grill Store XL adjustable rig for $95 + $45 for 20" grate + $45 for oval 16"x20" grate.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    <DIV class=Message sizset="266" sizcache06825743537075231="2"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: small">XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo, its a complete cooking system, direct, indirect, raised, woking, drip pan etc<BR></SPAN></DIV>
    Yes I did copy this from fishlessman, but he said it right.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have a swing rack and cook direct all the time. When I do wings I do it indirect with the platesetter and have a drip pan because I like sticky wings (like Cazzy's) better than just wings with rub on the egg. I can post a bunch of pictures when I get home tonight.

The swing rack also allows easy access to get turn / flip things on the bottom rack.

I like the CGS stuff and have a woo for my small and a spider for my large. The swing rack fits my 2nd tier needs better so that's why I went with it.

Either way you cant really go wrong and will be amazed at all the extra room or like @Charlie_tuna said get both!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I think Im going to get this... http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2-adjustable-rig-combo/

Now Im kicking myself in the ass cause on their website, they say they are not shipping out until 5/3 :(

• Just ordered the 2 Tier from Ceramic Grill Works.. Thanks for all the input!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I think you'll love it......I've had mine for a month or so and can't think of one thing I don't love about it and was exactly what I had in mind when I started looking for a two-tier.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    When doing a bunch of wings on my LBGE, I'll use AR and do two racks indirect with stone/spider at 275 - 300 degrees with some type of fruit wood for smoke. When nearly done, just remove the stone/spider, raise the temp and finish in smaller batches raised direct to crisp up the skin. I can fit 5 lbs of wings on each level.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332

@ eggheadinflorida, thanks for the purchase.

This is how you do wings on the 2 Tier. 
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Very nice Franco!