Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Incorporating a LBGE Table into a Deck

I just got my egg at the Salado EggFest a couple of months ago and already use it twice as much as my traditional smoker and gas grill.  Since it has become my grill of choice and I am having a wooden deck built onto the back of my house I decided to incorporate an egg table into the deck plans.  Work will begin next week and I've given my contractor the basic table plans from BGE's website.  He going to start with that and add some storage of some sort to the non egg end of the table.  I was hoping I could get some feedback on the distance between the shelf and the top of the table.  The plans call for a distance of 15" but I am planning to have my egg sitting in one of the short nest.  Will 15" bee enough space or should I up it to 17" to accomidate the nest?

Thanks for any feedback you can give.  I love the site and have already gotten some great ideas for my cooks.

Session

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I'd go 17" max if using the table nest as it adds 2" in height.Also if it sits  to low on the tabletop and the hinges won't close you could add a 3/4 paver to boost the height a little more. Thats what im doing so hopefully some others can chime in and confirm if this is ok. Im going to add a 1/2 inch to the table hole so its 21.5 just for safty sake as well.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Probably beating a dead horse but fire treat the deck. Maybe some sort of fp flooring cover.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Fire treat the deck?? Do most eggers do this if on a wooden deck? Is using the vent screen enough to prevent sparkes from hitting the deck and causing a fire?

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • henapple
    Ask cen-tex... I'd do some research on fp pressure treated lumber. Crap happens.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    the 15 inches and the 21 inches are supposed to go together to make it fit.  If you change to 17 just make sure the egg is lifted 2 inches or change the 21. make sense? i used the bge recomendations for my table for a small and a large and it was perfect.  

and yes you better take fire precautions when putting a 500 degree fire pit on your wood table, on your wood deck next to your house where your kids sleep

XLBGE 
  • henapple said:
    Ask cen-tex... I'd do some research on fp pressure treated lumber. Crap happens.

ask little steven but no, the fire screen is not enough. Very lucky for me. Steven....not so much Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Sessionh
    Sessionh Posts: 6
    Now I'm scared. I wondered about the fire dangers with the tables but you see so many of them I assumed the actual chance of something bad happening was pretty low. Question now is if you were spending a fair amount of money a deck close to your house would refrain from making an egg table part of the build? I was really excited about the setup but I certainly don't want to risk starting a fire. Thanks Session
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but even with the table nest you should have a paver under the egg. Make sure you have enough space.
    +1 on fire proofing
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple

henapple said:

ask little steven but no, the fire screen is not enough. Very lucky for me. Steven....not so much

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

You didn't get liquored up and spill Woodford on the egg table?
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

XLBGE 
  • Sessionh
    Sessionh Posts: 6

Thanks for the link.  I'm going to go with the Fire Retardent lumber and follow the directions described on the nakedwhiz.  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'll post pics when all is said and done. 

Session

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks like it's going to be a nice area.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited May 2013
    I thought I wanted to build the egg into my outdoor countertops but chose to do this instead.  This way I don't really have to worry about the heat generated from the egg.  Like I say, I liked the idea of it built in but just didn't trust my skillz to not burn my house down.  I also think this helps with airflow too.

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    r270ba said:
    I thought I wanted to build the egg into my outdoor countertops but chose to do this instead.  This way I don't really have to worry about the heat generated from the egg.  Like I say, I liked the idea of it built in but just didn't trust my skillz to not burn my house down.  I also think this helps with airflow too.

I may steal your edea. Is the cabinets made of cedar? Everything I look at is over $1000 to $1200 for what I want. I am thinking of making the L shape as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    r270ba said:

All these fire threads scare the piss out of me.  Based on some of the pictures from folks showing what the wood looks like under the 2" paver stones, you should consider putting that XL on a table nest as well.  Probably already in your plans...either way, with that beautiful cooking station you can make mods to the egg setup without having to cut lumber.
    LBGE/Maryland