Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convert a Gas Grill into a BGE table?

Options
Been looking on craigslist for a small BGE for some time, and noticed some inexpensive stainless gassers on there, some that even needed repairs and were very cheap, and it got me to thinking...

Has anybody here attempted to re-purpose a used gas grill into a BGE table?

I think it could be done at a reasonable cost and maybe without too much difficulty, and it might turn out pretty impressive to boot.
Gittin' there...

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is an interesting idea.  I still have my SS gasser that I use for storage.  The thought has occurred to me to convert it to a table, but I think the construction is a bit too flimsy so it would teak a good bit of reinforcement to hold an egg and be stable. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Most gassers I've seen, are like a uni-body car, the actual cooking box is a structural part of the cart design. Assuming you take the box off to mount the egg, like @SmokePitt says, too flimsy. Sounds like a great challenge!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've seen egg tables made from wire cart , probably just as inexpensive.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    They sell aluminum and/or steel structural metal pieces at the Home Depot. Angles, square tubing, something like that could be used to shore up the interior, make shelf supports, etc. Might need to pay somebody to shear and pan brake a stainless top...and cut the hole.

Take a look at this monster and imagine the possibilities...

With one of those 1lb propane tank adapters maybe you could even keep the side burner for occasional use? (might need to evaluate the potential fire hazard of doing that though)

Just thinking out loud because there isn't much else here to do...
    Gittin' there...