Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on ribs please

Options
bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
Theres a local backyard BBQ contest for baby back ribs by me in two weeks .I was thinking on entering even tho my two attempts weren't that great on ribs i did at home i'll be doing it more for fun and experience than a chance to win . Start time is 7am set up turn in is 1pm the event sponsor is giving two racks of ribs to cook .My question is should i just go indirect or turbo style any and all advice would be greatly appreciated .And time it takes to cook baby backs i haven't a clue 
Thanks Phil 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Plenty of time for 3-2ish-1 method! 3 hours 240 grid indirect. Wrap in foil with a bit of apple juice for 1 1/2-2 more, then 1 more out of the foil. Should bend nicely at that point. Then hurry yo judges table. Good luck!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bigphil
    Options
    @Eggcelsior and @Cookbook_chip thanks for the advice seems this weekend may be a practice run both methods. seems like it would be to the wire or i wont make make turn in if i decide to do it lol . over a hundred views and two replies i must have offended someone Thanks for answering guys much appreciated 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Be sure to remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs, coat with yellow mustard, rub of your choice (I like Blues Hog or Hogs in heat ) , place setter legs up (or your  indirect piece) 250ish on the dome thermometer, I like apple chunks for smoke,place in a rib rack, approx. 5 hrs. check with a skewer or toothpick if it slides right through they are done or check by bend test. Usually leave mine dry but you might sauce for a contest. Good Luck !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I'm no expert but here goes. I much preferred my ribs from my gasser to anything I was making on my WSM and then my egg. This method has really improved my ribs on the egg and the last 3 batches have been very good.

Been rubbing with dizzy dust and swamp venom. 2 hours of smoke at 250 grid- (peach and oak). Sprits with aj, cider vinegar and imitation butter after the first half hour every half hour or so. Then into a foil pan with a bit of apple juice, cover with foil. Leave for 1 hour. Then baste with some thinned sauce, I usually just thin it with aj. Recover and shut it down. Leave on egg for another hour or until your desired doneness.
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I'm with @Eggcelsior Car Wash Mike method is some of the best ribs I have ever made. Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Phil......I'm sure the methods above would work great and some are quite similar to mine.  I'm a baby back rib guy from way back and have done probably a half dozen cooks on my Egg since I got it, all to perfection.  Here's what I do....

Preferably the night before, remove the membrane on the underside (easy using a paper towl to grip and pull if need be).  Then cover with yellow mustard before applying whatever rub you choose.  I usually go with any number of sweet/spicy combos, then double it with brown sugar.  Although I prefer spicy, the sweeter rubs tend to please the masses.  Wrap in Saran wrap and let sit overnight.

Fire up the Egg with regular lump layered/mixed with your wood of choice, probably 6-8 good chunks.  I prefer Apple or Hickory and usually let the chunks soak for a bit beforehand, maybe half hour or so.  Keep some wood chunks aside for later and get the Egg to a consistent 225-240* or so, then put the ribs on unwrapped for two hours.  With two racks, just lay them across....no need for a rack if you have a large or bigger.

After two hours of smoke time, pull the racks and wrap them in foil.  Before putting them back on, pour some liquid (I prefer Apple juice/cider) over the top of the racks, seal them up and put them back on for another two hours at the same temp.  You can add a few wood chunks at this point, but not really necessary since they are wrapped. 

After the wrapped two hours, unwrap the racks.....and be ready because they always are literally falling apart at this stage.....and cover lightly with your preferred sauce.  Put the racks back on unwrapped at the same temp for another solid hour at which point you can take them off, let them sit for awhile, and then ready to go. 

Mine have always turned out unbelievable tender and literally falling off the bone.  Had many compliments with this method and they always turn out the same every time. 

Good luck with the cook!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot.....not a necessity but I add a few more wood chunks before putting them on for the last hour.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    KennyLee offers some good tips but, I'm not sure that competition ribs should be falling off the bone. I think you'd be better off with tender ribs where the meat pulls cleanly from the bone with little effort.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm not a rib master but I've found 2 things that work for me. Don't over season. Let the pork be the star. Let cool a while before serving... Covered loosely with foil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I tried the 3-2-1 methid this weekend and they turned out decent, but a tad overcooked.  I'm with Texan, I like mine that will pull cleanly and these were fall off, but still tasty.  Sounds like alot of fun, I'd go for it if they had one in my area.  Good Luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I've done a few of these unsanctioned back yard events. In my observations, chances are your judges won't have formal training. I do baby backs 3-1-1 for these. IMO you should concentrate on your flavor profile then your texture. Judging can be very subjective. I put a little heat in the rub and keep the glaze on the sweet side. In almost all of these events I've done the start time is cooking start time. I always get there early and start my fire and have it stabilized (250 dome), for at least 45 minutes. Don't over do it on the wood. Two chunks should be plenty.I always place my wood chunks on my indirect stone during the first part of the stabilizing, then throw them on the lump about 20 min before putting the ribs on. Good luck!
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • bigphil
    Options
    @scooter it is unsanctioned but there will be a KCBS judging also a chief from a local restaurant and a township official and one other KCBS judge if theirs a tie. the township parks and recreation coordinator is a  certified judge and so is her husband . heres how the points will be awarded 

1. Judging:

• Judging will be based on 10 total points

• Appearance = 2 points, Texture/Tenderness = 3 points, Taste = 5 points

• Judges will be 1 KCBS certified judge, 1 restaurant owner/chef and 1 township official.  

There will be 3 total with a back up (KCBS certified judge) in case of a tie. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bigphil said:
    @scooter it is unsanctioned but there will be a KCBS judging also a chief from a local restaurant and a township official and one other KCBS judge if theirs a tie. the township parks and recreation coordinator is a  certified judge and so is her husband . heres how the points will be awarded 

1. Judging:

• Judging will be based on 10 total points

• Appearance = 2 points, Texture/Tenderness = 3 points, Taste = 5 points

• Judges will be 1 KCBS certified judge, 1 restaurant owner/chef and 1 township official.  

There will be 3 total with a back up (KCBS certified judge) in case of a tie. 

Parks and rec? So Swanson will be there?

• bigphil
    Options
    =)) hope he removes the pole first he looks tense 
  • bigphil
    Options
    Did a test run today no problem cooking them in the allotted time .came out tender and fairly moist but the taste was a little flat to me .But then i was never a really big rib eater so not sure exactly how much taste they should have since i have nothing to compare them to except ribs done by friends in the past on a gasser and boiled before going on that .
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Boiled ribs... Heresy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    bigphil said:
    Did a test run today no problem cooking them in the allotted time .came out tender and fairly moist but the taste was a little flat to me .But then i was never a really big rib eater so not sure exactly how much taste they should have since i have nothing to compare them to except ribs done by friends in the past on a gasser and boiled before going on that .
    Oh good gracious. Did they serve them with a side of gruel? 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm a huge baby back rib fan, and I've tried all the methods. My favorite way by far is rub with sugar, salt, pepper (1:2:2) or Mickey's coffee rub with extra salt (this might be the way to go for competition), a couple of chunks of apple, 275* grate for three hours or so. I use the bend test. My formable rib years were spent in Texas, so sauce on the side for me, but you might want to find out what your judges like. 

The wrap method is too fussy for me, and I want the meat on the ribs when I eat them. The turbo method just didn't have quite the same smokey taste as the slightly slower version in my opinion. They also seemed a little tougher and drier.  

But, of course, ribs as anything else are a matter of taste. ...
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bigphil said:
    Oh good gracious. Did they serve them with a side of gruel? 
    Please sir, may I have some more?
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    Just had a Rib Competition and agree with two facts posted so far:

1.  Fall off the bone not the right way for competition.  Need to be way tender but still cling to the bone for presentation.  Reason I didn't win - I served it up and it fell off as they tried to eat it.  Got second for the taste and rub but too loose.  

2.  Wet or dry - still have a healthy dose of spicy sauce nearby.  Most judges can handle heavy salt/spice/sweet and if they don't get that itch scratched you don't place.

Good luck!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Maybe I missed it but, knowing if the judges have a preference is important. The chef will have ribs on the menu, are they wet/dry/tangy/sweet? Anything you can learn about them will help. In many competitions I've seen, taste is worth as much as 50% of the final score. Having a taste that appeals can make up for a less than perfect texture. 
    That's why custom rubs are often winners, they are unusual. 
    Presentation box is also very important - great plating is appreciated by judges. Good luck, enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!