Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbies Ask for Advise

124»

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487

Gentlemen, gentlemen.  Please!  My wife is here and the discord is shocking to her.

My wife and I are loving every minute of it.  Carry on gentlemen!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2013
    R2Egg2Q said:
    It is a pain to refill. You have to find a place to put the meat, deal with a drip pan with hot flammable drippings, then a really hot plate setter or baking stone, add lump, wait for bad smoke to clear and temps to come back up. It's the kind of mistake you make once and learn to fill your Egg properly. ~X(
    May I ask what's in your drip pan?  :-??
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    R2Egg2Q said:
    It is a pain to refill. You have to find a place to put the meat, deal with a drip pan with hot flammable drippings, then a really hot plate setter or baking stone, add lump, wait for bad smoke to clear and temps to come back up. It's the kind of mistake you make once and learn to fill your Egg properly. ~X(
    May I ask what's in your drip pan?  :-??

Sure, I had drippings from a multiple butt cook in mind. That burns good when spilled onto the firebox & up the side of the fire ring. Don't ask me how I know :-\"
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • That's interesting... how long between cooks. Doesn't it begin to turn a little rancid after a while?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Multiple butts on one cook. I empty the drip pan between cooks.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:
    Multiple butts on one cook. I empty the drip pan between cooks.
    I should have read more carefully... you wrote "multiple butt cook" not "cooks".

@TwoCooks-here's a link to a great intro site for all things ceramic-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  In the recipe section under pork you will find the Elder Ward posting about setting up your fire for low&slow cooks-very detailed and may be more effort than you are looking for but a good benchmark.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Congrats on the cook. Now that you've done, regular, and sittin' chicken, then next step is a game changer IMHO. 

Spatchcock.

The Mrs fought it saying Beer can Chicken was good. Now she is a convert. 
    Just get it high in the dome.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I will never forgive myself for missing this thread until just now.  :((
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I had same issue on my first cook with lump. Just fill it out to at least the fire ring level (the ring above the box) and you shouldnt run out of lump.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

+1

(And a necro bump)

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

+1 (And a necro bump)
    You should be ashamed of yourself! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    It's starting to smell McNuttly around here.   :-?
    I'd be offended, if I was capable