Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizer Suggestions for a group of 40 with kids

Attending a get together Sunday for a Sunday School gathering.  Its a fun group most of whom have kids between 5 and 12.

I have been running my mouth about my BGE and now I need to back it up.  I am signed up for appetizers.  Chicken bombs for sure - anybody have any suggestions on something else I can cook a lot of in the couple of hours running up to the party Sunday afternoon?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Chicken bombs will be great.  If you don't want to cook both appetizers, the Shrimp and Crab Dip is excellent.  I took it to a party with Wheat Thins and everyone there asked for the recipe (except the vegan in the crowd).

I never use canned shrimp.  I buy them fresh and cut them up.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't tried these yet, but they look great:

Another good app is moink balls and it is pretty simple since they use frozen meatballs.  I have also done bacon wrapped lil smokies and they went fast.

Wings also make a great app.  I just thought I would throw out one choice that wasn't wrapped in bacon ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013

This is a good one for a lot of people and kids really like them

Description:

Sate: Recipe for two pork tenderloins

Lay pork tenderloin on cutting board. Cut thin end pieces about I 1 ¼ “ and reduce thickness of cuts down to about ½” in the thickest part. Lay slices about three at a time between plastic wrap and pound down to about ¼” or 3/8” max.

Ingredients:

• ½ lb unsalted butter

• ¼  Cup Thai Chili sauce

• ½ Cup chopped onion

• 1 Cup naturally brewed soy sauce

• ¼ Cup grated ginger

• 1 Cup kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)

• ¼  Cup lemon juice

• ½ Cup teriyaki sauce

• 1 zest from 1 lemon

• 30 or so bamboo skewers

• 6 Clove garlic (rough chop)

• 2 pork tenderloins

• 2 Tbs or more hot chili flakes

• Kecap Manis = equal parts molasses, teriyaki and soy sauce

• 3 Tbs coriander seed

• bunch  coriander/cilantro leaves as garnish

• 2 Tbs cumin seed

• 1 Tbs mustard seed

Instructions:

Soak skewers in water
    Toast coriander, cumin chili flakes and mustard seeds in cast iron pan until fragrant (pungent). Break with mortar and pestle.
    Melt butter in saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger and lemon zest over medium heat until onion is transparent.
    Add spices, lemon juice, teriyaki, soy and ketjap manis and boil 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature. Lay pork tenderloin on cutting board. Cut thin end pieces about 1 ¼”and reduce thickness of cuts down to about ½” in the thickest part. Lay slices about three at a time between plastic wrap and pound down to about ¼” or 3/8” max. Pour ½ the marinade into a glass pan, layer pork pieces cover with remaining marinade. Move meat around so all is coated in marinade. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and marinate two days refrigerated

Skewer pork pieces. Reserve marinade. Set BGE to 325 with a flat, even bed of coals. Place skewers on grill for about 4 minutes. Look for even browning on pieces, turn and rearrange if there are hot spots. Cook for another 4minutes and check color for doneness. Any sates that are not brown and caramelized can be finished with the lid open.
    Strain marinade if desired bring to a boil for five minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    seen this on a cooking show the other day, would be easy on the egg. pizza stuffed bread balls. stuff pizza dough with a pepperoni slices and mozz, roll them into small golfball size balls, coat with some oil and dust with grated parm and bake til golden. serv sauce on the side. kids would like those. could make little ruebens the same way dusing with caraway seeds and a little salt dipping them in thousand islands. or could roll up a stromboli and slice it up on site, better presentation but the balls would make a better app
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks Everyone - excellent and thoughtful suggestions.  Much appreciated.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Turtle eggs... Easy to pre-make and can fit a bunch on the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If making the PP sliders, the small King's Hawaiian rolls work well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple said:
    Thanks - can you point me to a recipe? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    Thanks - can you point me to a recipe? 
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2012/03/moink-balls-armadillo-eggs-and-sea.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Chicken wings - easy to re-heat as well.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    seen this on a cooking show the other day, would be easy on the egg. pizza stuffed bread balls. stuff pizza dough with a pepperoni slices and mozz, roll them into small golfball size balls, coat with some oil and dust with grated parm and bake til golden. serv sauce on the side. kids would like those. could make little ruebens the same way dusing with caraway seeds and a little salt dipping them in thousand islands. or could roll up a stromboli and slice it up on site, better presentation but the balls would make a better app

Similar to a cook I did last week. Includes a dessert. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150730/pizza-bites-appetizer-banana-nutella-dessert-pics#latest