Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steak Tacos

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
With the awesome westher we had over the weekend we decided on a Mexican feast for Sunday dinner. As with most of the Mexican meals we make,  a quick browsing of Rick Bayless' cookbooks and we decided on Skirt Steak Tacos and wanted to try a different salsa and guacamole. After a trip to two stores to get all the groceries the small egg got lit a little after lunch and we got started. What a great day to be out in the backyard! 

First up were the Guajillo peppers and some whole heads of garlic. 

Then heirloom tomatoes, tomatillos, white onion, jalapeño peppers, and green onions for the marinade, salsa, and guacamole. 

The roasted Guajillo peppers went in a bowl with hot water to rehydrate.

The onions, lime juice, cumin, garlic, and salt went into a blender to make the marinade for the steak and into a ziplock bag in the fridge. 

Then it was time to make some sangria to keep the cooks hydrated! Orange peach mango juice, red wine, orange liqueur, brandy, simple syrup, and I tried out my new soda stream for some bubbles. Apples, oranges, lemon, and limes went into the sangria to get happy. 

Back to the salsa, guajillo peppers, roasted heirloom tomatoes, garlic, lime juice green onions, and salt went in the blender to make a spicy but very flavorful salsa. 

Then the guacamole was up we went for Rick Bayless Guacomole with Bacon and roasted tomatillos. This is perfect for job for a big mortar and pestle. It was really good, but I think I like the grilled garlic and orange guacamole I usually make. 

The salsa and guacamole went in the fridge and it was time to roast some corn to make Elote from one of my favorite restaurants the Elote Cafe in Sedona Arizona. This was the first corn we grilled of the season and it was very good, it will be a great side to any meal and turning it into Elote is even better! 

Then time for some homemade tortillas.

After everyone showed up it was time to crank up the large egg and grill the skirt steak hot and fast with the veggies on the top of the swing rack. 

Here is a picture of the spread, everything was really good and the big green egg produced another great meal! Homemade tortillas, Guajillo salsa, Elote, Guacomole with Bacon and roasted tomatillos, roasted peppers, onions, &. skirt steak. 

Plated picture

For dessert we made Mexican Lime Creme Brûlée also from the Elote Cafe. It is the best creme brûlée I have ever had. 

Topped with homemade whipped cream and strawberries. 

After dinner we watched a movie on the BIG SCREEN our new inflatable screen for summer movies! It was a great end to a perfect day! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Yumm fajitas!

How good is that inflatable screen?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Awesome as always. Nice pics
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    What an awesome day with family and friends... The pics are fantastic. Blown away by the moon bounce screen...

That is really cool!
  • Solson005
    @lakewade the screen is awesome, I am looking for a deal on a better projector so we can start the movies at dusk. The one we normally use is a part of a exhibit at the Science Museum of Oklahoma and will be for a couple more months. The one I borrowed from my aunt wasn't HD and needed complete darkness it worked great but can be better. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Solson005 said:
    @lakewade the screen is awesome, I am looking for a deal on a better projector so we can start the movies at dusk. The one we normally use is a part of a exhibit at the Science Museum of Oklahoma and will be for a couple more months. The one I borrowed from my aunt wasn't HD and needed complete darkness it worked great but can be better. 
    Thanks - it looks really cool. I bet it is a blast watching a movie outdoors on it.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @canegger it was a great day. 

@hapster that screen will be getting lots of use this summer, next up is hooking up the wii to have some tournaments! 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    As always an awesome cook,Solson.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    @lakewade we have used a sheet draped against the side of the house and it has always been fun, but home depot had this as a "saturday special" and we decided to go big. I did lots of research today and you want at least 2000 lumens in a projector to view outside, the one I borrowed had around 200… Always a fun time. 
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Mattma3969 it was a full day of cooking but well worth it. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Solson, can I move in with you? [-O<

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Solson005
    Sure @shtgunal3 bring your egg and you can be in charge of dinner on tuesdays, thursdays, and  keeping up with the pool chemicals... :D
  • Wow! That was an awsome spread. No short cuts" where used in that meal. Some day I aspire to your level of cook!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Nice meal and great evening all around!  Beef tacos and/or fajitas are always welcome in our house! 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fantastic! I'm getting in my car now... There better be some leftovers...

Which Bayless book do you like? From your cooks, I might get one for myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Great cook !  I love it when someone makes their own sauce / marinate.  They're usually so much better than the store bought stuff.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Outstanding both cook and pictures. Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    How do I get to your house? :D
    Awesome cook, great pictures!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Impressive on multiple accounts Solson. Since @VI passed on adopting me, the offer is now on the table for you. I will keep up the pool and the yard, and can mix drinks better than Tom Cruise. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Chubbs said:
    Impressive on multiple accounts Solson. Since @VI passed on adopting me, the offer is now on the table for you. I will keep up the pool and the yard, and can mix drinks better than Tom Cruise. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Of course I passed on adopting you, but didn't I offer you a position as my valet / man servant?  Sheesh... of all the ungrateful people !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Solson005
    Thanks @LTAFlynEgg it makes for a long day but each dish individually isn't that complicated. 

Thanks @NIbbleMeThis they were great and will be made again! 

@caliking head on up plenty of leftovers, I almost got a flank steak but then found skirt steak way back in the meat section I got 3 pounds of skirt for the same price as 1.2 lbs of flank so there is plenty. 

I tend to use a combination of Rick Bayless' books but Mexican Everyday is fantastic if you want to learn how to make quick easy but really tasty dishes. One Plate at a Time (the same tittle of his television show) has lots of recipes in it, Fiesta at Ricks is all about cooking for large groups and has some great cocktail recipes as well as food. His newest is called Frontera Margaritas, Guacomoles, and Snacks and is a good read and the first of a four part series. You can't go wrong with any it just depends what you want to cook. I would say Mexican Everyday or One Plate at a Time would be the best for recipes. 
  • Solson005
    edited April 2013
    Great cook !  I love it when someone makes their own sauce / marinate.  They're usually so much better than the store bought stuff.
    Thanks VI its just like salsa and salad dressing fairly simple to make and tastes SO much better. 

Thank you @Mickey it was a fun day! 

@SmokinDAWG82 head to where i-35 and i-40 meet and I live just north of there, but you have the Frontera book now so its your turn for a Mexican Feast (the bacon guacamole was from that book)
    :D

@Chubbs Thanks for the nice comment, there will be a open application period in late May for the Summer position, Mixology should put you toward the head of the group. I will post more on that later...
    :ar!